Author Topic: Photos of earth  (Read 30635 times)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
Re: Photos of earth
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »

Now that you've given him 15, can we expect, "Yeah, but there [sic] to [sic] SMALL!"

They're only the ones I did on a quick search, there are a couple more from 14 and some more on 17, I can't find the ones from 12 I, like you, thought there were some. I'm wondering if we are confusing them with the ones from 11?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:09:43 PM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »
I've also done a quick scan through the Apollo 12 surface pictures, but couldn't find any examples of earth.  As with Apollo 14, the geometry of the Apollo 12 landing would only have given a crescent Earth. 
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »
Some of you "getting sick" will see that there are only two realistic looking photos FROM THE MOON SURFACE. stop linking me to photos taken from an orbital view. And you will see it takes more than two minutes research.

Aw, diddums. Getting cranky all ready?

Your first post stated that there was only one. Now you say there's only two. Which is it?

And if you ask for help and then get grumpy when people answer you then why don't you go and do some research yourself???
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
Some of you "getting sick" will see that there are only two realistic looking photos FROM THE MOON SURFACE. stop linking me to photos taken from an orbital view. And you will see it takes more than two minutes research.

You still haven't told us how many should have been taken and why.  Until you can do that, two is plenty.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »

You still haven't told us how many should have been taken and why.  Until you can do that, two is plenty.

A bit like going on a geology field trip to an island a couple of miles off the coast. Would you then stand on the beach when you got there, taking pictures of the coast where you just come from?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 01:13:07 PM »
I can't figure out what "realistic looking" means in this context either.  That says to me there are some as-yet unknown expectations being applied.  Someone who says a thing isn't "realistic" should be able to go further and say, "It should look like _____ but instead it looks this other way."  That lets us talk about "should look like," which a useful discussion would include.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »

I don't know what you count as 'realistic' but you if you do a little more than 2 minutes research you will find that the Earth in those lunar surface pictures, including the live TV:

- Shows the Earth's terminator exactly where it should be at the time the photo was taken
- Shows the Earth at the correct angle
- Shows the correct land masses for the time the photographs were taken
- Shows time and date specific weather patterns exactly as recorded by meteorological satellites

The Apollo 14 images of Earth taken from the lunar surface also contain Venus, exactly where it should be.

So, if that doesn't seem realistic to you, it would seem you are on a different planet to the rest of us.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
And don't forget the  far ultraviolet images taken on Apollo 16, several of which contain the Earth.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
Colin Mackellar over at honeysucklecreek.net used the hi-res version of AS11-40-5923 and found that when properly rotated the land mass seen is Australia, NSW in the morning hours, with the location of HSK being pretty much line-of-sight.

Ed Fendell also zoomed the GCTA onto the earth for all the J missions at least once per mission.

And may I add my concerns at your readiness, there Photo Hound, in getting cranky when given a list of quite a few photographs (and video) of something you claimed only one of which existed. What gives?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:15:47 PM by dwight »
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone else has asked you outright as I sometimes miss detail in threads that I have only just seen and skim read. I've been fairly busy all day with work, so sorry to the regulars. Here goes...

Photo hound, do you think that the moon landings were hoaxed?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »
And don't forget the  far ultraviolet images taken on Apollo 16, several of which contain the Earth.

Easily one of my favourite of all the scientific experiments. Not sure if the retro-reflectors trump the UV images given the beauty of the latter.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »

You can't really control a discussion by just dropping in with an occasional demanding posts.  How about taking a great part in the thread if you want something specific out of it. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »

You can't really control a discussion by just dropping in with an occasional demanding posts.  How about taking a great part in the thread if you want something specific out of it. 

It's eerily familiar behaviour, isn't it?
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 08:29:04 PM »

Easily one of my favourite of all the scientific experiments. Not sure if the retro-reflectors trump the UV images given the beauty of the latter.
And in this case, taking pictures of the Earth *does* have scientific value, thanks to the unusual spectrum imaged.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »
And in this case, taking pictures of the Earth *does* have scientific value, thanks to the unusual spectrum imaged.

And to the appropriate field of view.  Taking pictures of astronomical objects with a wide-angle lens is not very effective.