Author Topic: Deconstructing Apollo 20  (Read 33092 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: Deconstructing Apollo 20
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
Hrm.

This verges on something I've said although I don't entirely believe it.

Which is that if you can't say it, you don't know it. Most of the time I see a confused, turgid attempt at explanation which is often circular, badly phrased, and all in all difficult to read, after much discussion to drill down to the actual idea I'll discover one that is similarly incoherent.

Not to say you can't have one of those blinding bits of insight that you can't manage to put into language. Dancing about architecture and all that, after all. Nor that you can't make a melodious and grammatical uttering that is nonetheless complete nonsense.

There's also a mirror case. Seems often that when you have a problem, if you can manage to put it clearly and cleanly in words, you will have without intending to also spoken the solution.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
Re: Deconstructing Apollo 20
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2016, 11:14:23 AM »
Ah, orientation. When I was young, (and I decline to say how long ago that was) I thought everyone was aware of their spatial orientation. Age and experience have taught me otherwise. There is no harm in that. For example, give me an axe and I can chop wood up, but that is as close as I can get to any sort of carpentry. Wood and I are not best friends. Another would be artistic painting. I am utterly useless at that. Organic Chemistry? That's a closed papery object to me.

One simply cannot be expert in every field, that is the reality of the modern world. Nor should anyone be expected to be.

My most efficient way of getting around, prior to GPS, was to stand still and ask myself, "What direction does my heart of hearts tell me I should go in?" Once I got that instinctive sensation, I would set out in the opposite direction.

It was surprisingly effective.