Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 863875 times)

Offline geo7863

• Venus
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1410 on: March 30, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »

Google "Stundie" and have a browse through JREF's Stundie awards. You will be astonished at the weird stuff that people actually believe. Here's the January 2013 Winner to get you started

We'll see you next month sometime...

Oh dear me... I dont know whether to laugh or cry!

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1411 on: March 30, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
...does one just ignore the 'howling at the moon' bits and try to re-educate him on the 'science and engineering' bits? why? what would be the point of that? (although obviously in doing so it does, as Gillianren points out, educate everyone else and not just the 'poster' that the response may be to and that is obviously a good thing....otherwise I for one would remain a lot dumber than I currently am)

I think you answer your own question here. But something else to remember is that written answers lose a lot of the nuance of face-to-face communication. Given that it's often necessary to put smileys and winkies into emails or forum posts to ensure people read something as a joke, I think it's very tricky to assess someone's state of mind solely from what they write. I therefore find it safer to assume a person is serious and sane when they're asking a question, regardless of how barking they may seem from their post (it's a bit like when it's safe for a man to ask a woman he's not related to if she's pregnant: not even if she's screaming her head off in the middle of labour). As a consequence of this I've been accused of needing a humour transplant when replying to someone's comment on a post by the Bad Astronomer on Slate...

So the way I try to operate (although I admit I don't always succeed) is for the answers I give to be as much for the benefit of those watching from the sidelines as for the person whose questions I'm answering. I've found it useful to go back to old threads and read what I wrote; if it makes me wince reading it now, then it's a style of response I attempt to avoid in the future. Plus, there's a sort of perverse amusement to be had if you retain your politely serious demeanour as the other person gradually ramps up the insults.

Something else to consider is that not everyone you discuss a topic with will be as bad as the worst cases. It's possible to have polite, even good-natured, discussions with people you strongly disagree with. You will yourself look erratic if your attitude changes noticeably between posts, depending on who you're addressing.

Finally I've come to the conclusion that I'm not interested in engaging in debates with people by email - it takes the same amount of work as posting on a forum but the audience is a lot smaller and a lot less likely to change its mind. I ask them to visit a forum and discuss the topic openly. If they're not interested in an open discussion, then it's usually because they're not interested in changing their mind. In that case engaging in any sort of discussion with them alone is a waste of time.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1412 on: March 30, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
Both of you have picked up that I may be rude/insulting to those with genuine mental health problems.... that is not my intention, I havent been here long enough to identify persons who may have health issues, and to be perfectly frank unless you work in the health sector how do you know that they have mental health issues?...and at the same time I too have had my own mental health issues in the past, and as the old saying goes 'it takes a nutter to spot a nutter'... but I will try to desist especially if it does upset the more innocent 'nutters'!

Here's your first piece of information as to how you can know.  You can be one of them.

Your second?  You can be told by one of them directly.  So be told directly.  I am bipolar.  This means that I take direct and personal offense when "nutter" is considered a synonym for "mentally ill person."  It isn't.  I joke that I'm "taking back crazy," largely because "sane" has a specific legal definition, and while I may be crazy, I'm not insane.  However, that doesn't mean I want to take the brunt of every insult everyone has for mentally ill people. 

Third, it does not take a mentally ill person to spot another, though I do acknowledge that we're awfully good at it.  What it takes is someone aware of a lot more than you're going to get on this board (except for being directly told).  You will not know if what's being presented online is the full extent of the person's personality, and it's shallow and simplistic to make a diagnosis of mental illness without knowing that, even if you couch it in language that is intended to make the whole thing a joke.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline geo7863

• Venus
« Reply #1413 on: March 30, 2013, 01:42:05 PM »
Both of you have picked up that I may be rude/insulting to those with genuine mental health problems.... that is not my intention, I havent been here long enough to identify persons who may have health issues, and to be perfectly frank unless you work in the health sector how do you know that they have mental health issues?...and at the same time I too have had my own mental health issues in the past, and as the old saying goes 'it takes a nutter to spot a nutter'... but I will try to desist especially if it does upset the more innocent 'nutters'!

Here's your first piece of information as to how you can know.  You can be one of them.

Your second?  You can be told by one of them directly.  So be told directly.  I am bipolar.  This means that I take direct and personal offense when "nutter" is considered a synonym for "mentally ill person."  It isn't.  I joke that I'm "taking back crazy," largely because "sane" has a specific legal definition, and while I may be crazy, I'm not insane.  However, that doesn't mean I want to take the brunt of every insult everyone has for mentally ill people. 

Third, it does not take a mentally ill person to spot another, though I do acknowledge that we're awfully good at it.  What it takes is someone aware of a lot more than you're going to get on this board (except for being directly told).  You will not know if what's being presented online is the full extent of the person's personality, and it's shallow and simplistic to make a diagnosis of mental illness without knowing that, even if you couch it in language that is intended to make the whole thing a joke.

Ok sorry, my bad I will never mention it again!

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1414 on: March 30, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »
Still, it is my experience that there are people in the world who have (what are to me) some strange ways of thinking.  I've known people who believe firmly in the old paradigm of "barefoot and pregnant" as the proper state for women.  I remember talking to a fellow  (this one is really offensive; I apologize in advance) who had reconciled the question of creation vs evolution; his notion was that white people were created, while people of color were "descended from monkeys".

Back years ago, while working as a Paramedic, my partner and I went to a call where it turned out that a 60-ish year old man had died in his sleep, in bed.  As we and the M.E. examined the body we found that he was nude. My partner - a guy in his mid-20s - was incensed. His opinion was that "it ain't decent" for a grown man who lived alone to sleep nude.

My point is that there are a lot of people in this world who, even in the absence of any disorder found in the  DSM-IV, have some (to me) very odd ways of thinking. I don't think it always falls under the heading of "willful ignorance" - it doesn't seem to me to be a lack of knowledge so much as something in the reasoning process.  If not as "balmy", "bonkers", "flaky", or "a 'roo loose in the top paddock", how do we characterize them?

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1415 on: March 30, 2013, 09:33:23 PM »
Why should we, if they don't all fit the same category? 
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #1416 on: March 30, 2013, 10:46:01 PM »
I've known people who believe firmly in the old paradigm of "barefoot and pregnant" as the proper state for women.  I remember talking to a fellow  (this one is really offensive; I apologize in advance) who had reconciled the question of creation vs evolution; his notion was that white people were created, while people of color were "descended from monkeys".

I would put those in totally different categories.  The second one is a positive statement which can be addressed by evidence; the first one is a normative judgement which cannot (although I can't count the number of times I've heard people declare that things like "science" or "logic" or "reason" will prove that their normative judgements are correct).

Back years ago, while working as a Paramedic, my partner and I went to a call where it turned out that a 60-ish year old man had died in his sleep, in bed.  As we and the M.E. examined the body we found that he was nude. My partner - a guy in his mid-20s - was incensed. His opinion was that "it ain't decent" for a grown man who lived alone to sleep nude.

My point is that there are a lot of people in this world who, even in the absence of any disorder found in the  DSM-IV, have some (to me) very odd ways of thinking. I don't think it always falls under the heading of "willful ignorance" - it doesn't seem to me to be a lack of knowledge so much as something in the reasoning process.  If not as "balmy", "bonkers", "flaky", or "a 'roo loose in the top paddock", how do we characterize them?

In the last particular case cited, I would characterise the person as someone who has a different value/judgement/preference system than you do (and also different than I do).  If they don't attempt to impose this system on other people, it doesn't particularly bother me.  I don't see that anything like "knowledge" or "reason" plays the slightest role here.  Can you use knowledge and reason to prove that this viewpoint is incorrect?  I don't know how.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1417 on: March 31, 2013, 01:22:06 AM »
I've known people who believe firmly in the old paradigm of "barefoot and pregnant" as the proper state for women.  I remember talking to a fellow  (this one is really offensive; I apologize in advance) who had reconciled the question of creation vs evolution; his notion was that white people were created, while people of color were "descended from monkeys".

I would put those in totally different categories.  The second one is a positive statement which can be addressed by evidence; the first one is a normative judgement which cannot (although I can't count the number of times I've heard people declare that things like "science" or "logic" or "reason" will prove that their normative judgements are correct).

The second one was something I heard from a classmate 'way back in high school, so maybe allowance can be made for a not-yet-matured brain.  I think that it was the incredible racism of the comment that floored me at the time; would having a low opinion of people of another race be considered a normative (I had to look that up) judgment?  Also, if I had made any attempt at evidence-based reasoning with him on this one, the only safe position at that time and place would be to argue that all humans were the product of Creation. I grew up (and still live) in the rural south, and to question divine creation or (horrors!!) to be an avowed atheist or agnostic, especially for a teenager, was to be a pariah.

In the last particular case cited, I would characterise the person as someone who has a different value/judgement/preference system than you do (and also different than I do). If they don't attempt to impose this system on other people, it doesn't particularly bother me.  I don't see that anything like "knowledge" or "reason" plays the slightest role here.  Can you use knowledge and reason to prove that this viewpoint is incorrect?  I don't know how.

I think the phrase bolded above is what worried me.  I was in my 20s myself at the time, and still learning about the real world, I guess. The idea of a guy my own age - and this guy was a weekend-beer-guzzling, bed-hopping, hell-raising sort - who was that judgmental about something so innocuous (I forgot to mention that it was a hot August and the house had no A/C except for a window unit in the living room, so it could have been a practical matter as much as a personal preference) as sleeping in the buff in your own home... well, it just struck me that he could easily go on to become one of those legislators who are perfectly willing  to extend the law into places it has no business going, such as the bedrooms of consenting adults.(1)

OK, it may well be that these weren't the best examples; they were just examples off the top of my head of some people that I consider to have odd world views. When dealing with Hoax Believers, maybe it does usually come down to willful ignorance. There's a guy on YouTube, for example, who puts out the most off-the-wall claims. For example, in this image:

It's the joint at the junction of one of the LM's legs and the footpad.  He absolutely insists that the shadowed area on the ball at the end of the leg (arrow) is a void, and questions how the footpad could have stayed on with the "ball" so much smaller than the "socket".  Absolutely nothing that was said could budge him from this conviction.  ka9q and I have discussed the possibility that he has some kind of vision problem, since he also consistently misjudges perspective and has no sense at all of what shadows should look like.

This is Hunchbacked, of course - some may remember when he was on this board for a while as InquisitiveMind - and he still claims a degree in aeronautical engineering and believes that when orbiting the moon, the Apollo CSM/LM would have naturally maintained a horizontal orientation relative to the surface; I asked about that recently and he responded "Yes, it does, because of the action of centrifugal force. Take a stick, tie a rope to its middle and make it turn: Its orientation will be perpendicular to the rope when you make it turn. Of course, there is no rope tied to the CSM, but the centrifugal force acts like there was a virtual rope tied to its center of gravity.  This is physics, you may deny it, but this is physics."

Why should we, if they don't all fit the same category? 

I realize this is a hot-button issue for you and I understand, really I do - I've spent some time in the place where they lock the doors to keep the world out, not the patients in.

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes when dealing with these... persons... frustration causes me to temporarily lose my formal vocabulary skills and grope for more visceral, descriptive terminology.

(1) That one got convoluted, didn't it? Sorry.

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1418 on: March 31, 2013, 01:46:39 AM »
I realize this is a hot-button issue for you and I understand, really I do - I've spent some time in the place where they lock the doors to keep the world out, not the patients in.

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes when dealing with these... persons... frustration causes me to temporarily lose my formal vocabulary skills and grope for more visceral, descriptive terminology.

I can sympathize.  However, I do not think it is helpful to any discussion to pejoratively label either side in it.  If you can't be polite, who are you helping?  If you're reduced to insults, why should anyone think your argument is better than the other?  The HBs and so forth have their preferred terms--"shills," "sheeple," and so forth--and we know that, when they are reduced to using them, they've run out of anything sensible and logical to say.  Why, then, should we be held to a lesser standard?  If you're reduced to arguing the person, not the idea, maybe the better solution is to take a step back, not to be rude to a whole other group, one you hadn't intended to insult, in addition to the person you are trying to insult.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:48:51 AM by gillianren »

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #1419 on: March 31, 2013, 03:22:48 AM »
The second one was something I heard from a classmate 'way back in high school, so maybe allowance can be made for a not-yet-matured brain.  I think that it was the incredible racism of the comment that floored me at the time; would having a low opinion of people of another race be considered a normative (I had to look that up) judgment?

I would tend to separate the factual question from how we feel about it.  So to me, "were people of one race created more or less as they are today, while people of some other race evolved from monkeys?" is a question of fact; "are people who are descended from monkeys inferior to people who were created?" is not, unless we have some objective definition of what it means to be "inferior".  If the answer to the first question is "no", then the answer to the second question is strictly hypothetical.

But I'm with you on that one, that's the one that is objectively goofy.  The other one, about how women should be barefoot and pregnant - is this some deficiency of knowledge and reason?  I'm not so sure that it is.  I don't know whether this person was making any error of reasoning, or is lacking any knowledge (relevant for this particular) issue that others have.  If the starting point is, "I want to maximise the welfare of men, and don't really care about the welfare of women", then he might have arrived at a perfectly logical conclusion.

To this point, I often find HBers derided as illogical, and no doubt some, maybe most, maybe a huge majority are.  But they don't have to be - they just have to be anti-empirical.  "This is true, therefore evidence that it is false must be forged" is brutally logical :)

Also, if I had made any attempt at evidence-based reasoning with him on this one, the only safe position at that time and place would be to argue that all humans were the product of Creation. I grew up (and still live) in the rural south, and to question divine creation or (horrors!!) to be an avowed atheist or agnostic, especially for a teenager, was to be a pariah.

I assume you're talking about the US here, but if so, then I think I know what you mean.  You gotta do what you gotta do . . .

I think the phrase bolded above is what worried me.  I was in my 20s myself at the time, and still learning about the real world, I guess. The idea of a guy my own age - and this guy was a weekend-beer-guzzling, bed-hopping, hell-raising sort - who was that judgmental about something so innocuous (I forgot to mention that it was a hot August and the house had no A/C except for a window unit in the living room, so it could have been a practical matter as much as a personal preference) as sleeping in the buff in your own home... well, it just struck me that he could easily go on to become one of those legislators who are perfectly willing  to extend the law into places it has no business going, such as the bedrooms of consenting adults.(1)

Oh, that's entirely possible.  I don't know how long ago this was, maybe it has happened already :)  But the same deal - if I want to prove to this person that the law should not regulate happenings in the bedrooms of consenting adults, using scientific methods - I can't.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1420 on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »
In other words, you're entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

This has become one of my favorite sayings. I can't find who originated it.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1421 on: March 31, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1422 on: March 31, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »

I can sympathize.  However, I do not think it is helpful to any discussion to pejoratively label either side in it.  If you can't be polite, who are you helping?  If you're reduced to insults, why should anyone think your argument is better than the other?  The HBs and so forth have their preferred terms--"shills," "sheeple," and so forth--and we know that, when they are reduced to using them, they've run out of anything sensible and logical to say.  Why, then, should we be held to a lesser standard?  If you're reduced to arguing the person, not the idea, maybe the better solution is to take a step back, not to be rude to a whole other group, one you hadn't intended to insult, in addition to the person you are trying to insult.
I should probably clarify that in debating these... persons... I strive to ignore personalities and insults and stick to debating the facts. It's when I'm discussing certain HBs with other folks on this side of the line that I find myself groping for descriptive terms.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1423 on: March 31, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »
Remember, though, that just because they aren't participating in this discussion, it doesn't mean that they aren't reading it.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #1424 on: April 01, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
What about allegations of Dunning-Kruger?