Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 864197 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1575 on: May 30, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »
It was Miss Hoover, not Mrs Krabapple.

How to tell that I didn't even read my own link, huh? 
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1576 on: May 30, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »
It was Miss Hoover, not Mrs Krabapple.

How to tell that I didn't even read my own link, huh?

More like I've given myself away as someone who watches far too much Simpsons.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1577 on: May 30, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »
If it's any consolation Jay, I understood "higher" to mean "larger", and when Glom said "lower", I read it as "smaller", which had me scratching my head how he could think that...until it kicked in to my thick skull that he was understandably reading it as meaning altitude. ;D

Oh it was a genuine "wrong way" error in Jay's brain.  What I was thinking was, "slower velocity means more lenient window."  And nine times out of ten, "more lenient" in engineering means "larger."  In this case, more lenient means lower minimum altitude for aborts.  Whoever wants to claim the T-shirt on that one should be entitled to it; I'm supposed to catch those mistakes myself.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1578 on: May 30, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »

I tend to joke that most English majors graduate able to quote Keats and Milton, but I was mostly able to quote Homer.  On the other hand, Matt Groening is an alumnus of my alma mater, and the show was still good when I was a student, so it was practically a religion.  However, I haven't had cable in several years, we don't own any seasons on DVD, and it isn't available streaming from Netflix, so I'm a bit behind.  At least I knew that it was Mrs. Krabapple (whose name I both remember and spell correctly!) talking to Miss Hoover during the assembly?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1579 on: May 30, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »

I tend to joke that most English majors graduate able to quote Keats and Milton, but I was mostly able to quote Homer.  On the other hand, Matt Groening is an alumnus of my alma mater, and the show was still good when I was a student, so it was practically a religion.  However, I haven't had cable in several years, we don't own any seasons on DVD, and it isn't available streaming from Netflix, so I'm a bit behind.  At least I knew that it was Mrs. Krabapple (whose name I both remember and spell correctly!) talking to Miss Hoover during the assembly?

Yes.

Mrs. Krabappel: Embiggens? I never heard that word before moving to Spingfield.
Miss Hoover: I don't know why, it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Several episodes a day are shown on satellite/cable TV channels here.  I watch too many!
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1580 on: May 30, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
I tend to joke that most English majors graduate able to quote Keats and Milton, but I was mostly able to quote Homer.  On the other hand, Matt Groening is an alumnus of my alma mater, and the show was still good when I was a student, so it was practically a religion.  However, I haven't had cable in several years, we don't own any seasons on DVD, and it isn't available streaming from Netflix, so I'm a bit behind.
You haven't missed much. The writing took a big downward plunge around 2000 or so, and it went from by far the greatest show on TV to one that we don't even bother to watch anymore on a regular basis. Even great TV shows have their day.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1581 on: May 30, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »
Yeah, but I haven't seen old episodes much in the last couple of years, either.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1582 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:58 PM »
Yeah, but I haven't seen old episodes much in the last couple of years, either.
That's what the Internet is for.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #1583 on: May 31, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
"The Internet?  Is that thing still around?"
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #1584 on: May 31, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »
"Oh, they have the Internet on computers now."
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline Heiwa

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1585 on: September 21, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »
I note there are 106 pages discussing my popular Challenge and nobody has managed to win. I wonder why.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1586 on: September 21, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »
I note there are 106 pages discussing my popular Challenge and nobody has managed to win. I wonder why.

People have more than met the criteria of winning your "challenge". The only reason you haven't declared a winner is because you are unwilling to admit you are wrong.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1587 on: September 21, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
Or unable to understand it?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #1588 on: September 21, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »

Correction:  106 pages discussing exactly where and how you are wrong and laughing at you and your inability to admit you are wrong.  Of course nobody here believed your challenge was real in the first place.  YOU are a joke.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1589 on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »

Because you refuse to acknowledge people who answer you?  Several people have given you the calculations you asked for, you have completely ignored that.

Are you going to resort to insults on your website again?

What exactly do you want to gain from posting here?  I'm genuinely curious.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:17:31 PM by Andromeda »