Author Topic: Uh oh! Jarrah's mad at SG Collins!  (Read 54167 times)

Offline beedarko

• Earth
Re: Uh oh! Jarrah's mad at SG Collins!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »
if you read between the lines, he's shredding JW into confetti in a way so subtle that JW will never pick up on it.
"... doing a good thing... he's trying to come to grips with the technology."
(and failing miserably)

You may be right. I did detect many cleverly subtle barbs, but this comment struck me as innocuous for whatever reason.  If it was intended as you theorize, then my bad for whiffing at the slider.

I like the guy even more now.   8)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 11:24:20 PM »
...I've viewed some of Collins' work and I find him to have a dry and biting sense of humor. I think... that if you read between the lines, he's shredding JW into confetti in a way so subtle that JW will never pick up on it.

My thoughts exactly.  I really enjoyed and got many laughs from Collins's wonderful, subtle, polite, biting wit, and wondered whether Jarrah would get some of what he said.

For instance, IIRC, when discussing a particular piece of equipment JW claimed existed, instead of saying, "You don't know what you're talking about," Collins simply says, "Show me!" with a wonderful expression on his face.

I often had an image of a ravenous dog gleefully chomping on a large chunk of meat it had removed from White's posterior.
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
I don't know...  I've viewed some of Collins' work and I find him to have a dry and biting sense of humor. I think - and I could just be projecting here - that if you read between the lines, he's shredding JW into confetti in a way so subtle that JW will never pick up on it.

^^Absolutely this^^
I think that Collins handled it brilliantly. From what I can see, JW reacted with an emotional response, full of piss and vinegar. So many HBs seem to do this...they invest their emotions into their arguments and beliefs. They almost seem to have a religious fervour about them (probably because their actual knowledge about the subject is just so god-damn poor they have to defend it from an emotional stance). Collins coolness and confidence based on years of experience is the perfect foil to JW's spittle-flecked nonsense. I imagined him almost surgically dicing JW's response.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline geo7863

• Venus
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 06:30:10 AM »
What gets me is the claim that you have to have worked in film at the time to have known what film was capable of.  By that standard, we might easily assume that the Moon landings could have been faked by Georges Méliès.  I mean, he did a Moon landing, right?

But If you did work in film at that time you will or should have first hand knowledge and experience which you can't get if you study the subject,. Jarrah White has studied media and clearly thinks he knows everything, Collins has worked in media for over 30 years, and whilst not specifically during the mid-late 60's I would take his experience any day over Jarrah's certificates of studying media.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 08:05:09 AM »
After attempting to clarify a few questions with Jarrah, he has blocked me from posting on his channel. I am perplexed by this outcome :o

Yes, I know it's pissing into the wind, but I have to ask.

Well, that makes us partners in distress. I'm 'suffering' the same blockade.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:46 AM »

(To Jarrah) "If you're ever looking for something to debunk on a rainy day, debunk this."

The suspense is killing me  ;D
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
After attempting to clarify a few questions with Jarrah, he has blocked me from posting on his channel. I am perplexed by this outcome :o

What did he get you for? I asked him why he had to lie so much.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 09:03:20 AM »
I don't know...  I've viewed some of Collins' work and I find him to have a dry and biting sense of humor. I think - and I could just be projecting here - that if you read between the lines, he's shredding JW into confetti in a way so subtle that JW will never pick up on it.

No, it's not just you and I don't think you're projecting.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »

What did he get you for? I asked him why he had to lie so much.

Well, various comments, I guess. Many about the 'deadly' Van Allen belts, in several of his videos. At the time I had the opportunity to post almost 24/7 on his video, because I was hospitalized (with only a laptop and some nice nurses...) so he accused me of being a stalker and a paid shill. Things became unfriendly, and this was my last post (I think it was on his LRO video, not sure):

"Here's my theory; you invested a tremendous amount of trouble and time, and a huge ego in your position. I think you probably began long ago with a sincere but also a naive belief, founded in ignorance, that the landings were a hoax, to benefit political goals of the US. And as you discovered more details of the missions (next to numerous explanations of people who DO know what they're talking about), you must have begun to have some second thoughts. But by then it was too late. You had already committed yourself publicly. You are the new Mister Hoax, the grandson of the Theory, and there was no turning back."

The only thing Jarrah responded was: "That's it, you're blocked, good riddance"

I think his cynical actions (such as abuse of the DMCA) toward his most effective critics belie what's really going on inside his head.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
I love his quote at 2:20.  "Yes, my awareness of film & video technology from before I started working is necessarily incomplete.  That's why Googling stuff wouldn't be enough for me (unsaid "like you do Jarrah"), I actually have to talk to broadcast engineers who were working in the 1960's"
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »
Heck, even Googling will give you better information than Jarrah has.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »

(To Jarrah) "If you're ever looking for something to debunk on a rainy day, debunk this."

That was a nice shout out to dwight.  I wonder if he knows Collins plugged his book.  :)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:07:15 PM by beedarko »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »
But If you did work in film at that time you will or should have first hand knowledge and experience which you can't get if you study the subject,. Jarrah White has studied media and clearly thinks he knows everything, Collins has worked in media for over 30 years, and whilst not specifically during the mid-late 60's I would take his experience any day over Jarrah's certificates of studying media.

I don't believe Jarrah really studied media.  He may claim that he has certificates, but if he really does, that it the easiest program ever passed.  Or else it's not in the technical side, which is what he's claiming relevant expertise in.  You may not have first-hand experience if all you've done is studied, but you still know what was and wasn't possible.  Bluntly, faking a Moon landing still isn't possible with today's tech, and it sure as hell wasn't possible in 1969.  You don't have to actually work in the industry to know that.  If you've read more than a single book about SFX, you should know that, because there are huge amounts of complexities to even a single minute of lunar footage that can't all be duplicated the same way.  This is why most SFX shots are rapid, yet the Apollo footage is unbroken shots.  Heck, it's worth noting that there is unbroken Apollo footage that is longer than the movie Rope, famous for being in one unbroken take.  But it actually isn't, because not enough film fit in the camera for Hitchcock to really do a single take.  It's actually six.

No one actually had to work with Stanley Kubrick to know that an Apollo mission filmed by Kubrick would have been radically different.  All you have to do is know even a little about Stanley Kubrick, and I've never seen an HB making the claim who knows anything about Stanley Kubrick.  You don't have to actually have done wirework to know that the Apollo footage can't have been done with wirework; all you have to do is know how wirework is actually done and compare its possible results to the Apollo footage.  First-hand experience is nice, but it simply isn't necessary.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »

That was a nice shout out to dwight.  I wonder if he knows Collins plugged his book.  :)

I sent him an e-mail today with the YT-link.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
Hi all. Happy Easter to you. Yep I knew of SGs video. Using Live Tv From the Moon he cant go wrong as long as he disregards the two errors on pages 27 and 43. I went to the same college as Jarrah only it was known under a different name: TVCOP TELEVISION CERTIFICATE OF PROFICIENCY. I did the course quite a few years before. Instructers were Dennis Moore, Chris Mckeith and Dutchy Holland among others. I wonder if JW with all his research skills will paint me a liar because I was using my step-fathers surname at the time?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:38:41 AM by dwight »
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"