Author Topic: Photo Anomalies  (Read 41948 times)

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
Photo Anomalies
« on: August 03, 2015, 08:20:41 AM »
Hello again.

Is it possible that the footage from lunar orbit could be faked using a fake moon?

Why the LM looks like something I could have made with cheap foil?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:26:18 AM by Gazpar »

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: Photo Anomalies
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
The detail available in the pre-Apollo images just wasn't adequate to show the rock and craters that were photographed by the astronauts on the lunar surface and from lunar orbit. Those rocks and craters, not known about before Apollo, have been verified not just by the LRO but also by Chinese and Indian probes.

As for the LM, sorry but "It kind of looks funny" isn't a good argument. The LM didn't have to look good, it just had to function - which it did.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
Is it possible that the footage from lunar orbit could be faked using a fake moon?

No

Come on know- make a little effort here Gazpar! Are you saying that you can make a Lunar lander from foil? Really? Or are you just regurgitating clapped out conspiracy theory rubbish?
What research have you done to investigate the LM construction?
What books have you read?
I'm all for helping anyone, but only if they make even a small effort to learn for themselves. 
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »
Hello again.

Thank you in advance.
Because it is foil, specifically aluminised mylar. It provides thermal insulation for little weight. It is intentionally wrinkled to minimise the contact area between it and the underlying structure and hence thermal conduction to the underlying structure. It is still in common use on space vehicles today.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »

No

Come on know- make a little effort here Gazpar! Are you saying that you can make a Lunar lander from foil? Really? Or are you just regurgitating clapped out conspiracy theory rubbish?
What research have you done to investigate the LM construction?
What books have you read?
I'm all for helping anyone, but only if they make even a small effort to learn for themselves.

Well, I was looking at the LM blueprints so I got this materials:
https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM04_Lunar_Module_ppLV1-17.pdf

Thermal and Micrometeroid shield:

Inconel
Inconel Mesh
Nickel foil
Aluminium shield
H-film
Mylar
Structural Aluminium shield.

I think that answered my question...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »

As for the LM, sorry but "It kind of looks funny" isn't a good argument. The LM didn't have to look good, it just had to function - which it did.
Not only didn't have to look good, but had to be the correct weight for the initial lift.  That design, kept the LM behind schedule.  The engineers finally got it all together, worked out the engine problems, and yes indeed worked on all the lunar missions.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:54:22 AM »
Similar foil coverings feature on many present-day unmanned satellites.  It's there for thermal control reasons, same as it was on the LM.  Here's a typical example:
http://rue89.nouvelobs.com/sites/news/files/assets/image/2010/03/satellite_eutelsat.jpg
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »
Well, I was looking at the LM blueprints so I got this materials:
https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM04_Lunar_Module_ppLV1-17.pdf

Thermal and Micrometeroid shield:

Inconel
Inconel Mesh
Nickel foil
Aluminium shield
H-film
Mylar
Structural Aluminium shield.

I think that answered my question...

Well done on having a go.
Information that you find for yourself will be remembered far longer than information supplied by other people. 

Now you know that there aren't any "photo anomalies". The only anomaly was in your knowledge and understanding.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 10:17:10 AM »

You might as well ask why Michelle Pfeiffer look like she's made of faded denim.

All you're seeing is the outer covering.  Check-out what the LM looks like without its insulation and outer skin:

On the upper right is the Ascent Stage, where the crew rides.  Notice that the pressurized compartment is supported by closely-space aluminum ribs.  On the left is the Descent Stage, which has to support the weight of the Ascent Stage and function as a launch pad for it when it's time to leave the Moon.  It was made using a rugged, welded-box construction.

Here's the back of the Ascent Stage, showing the unpressurized electronics bay.  The thin stringers are what the light-weight outer coverings mount to.  Underneath them you can see the robust main support girders.

Hope this helps.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »
Hello again.

I always wonder, why would NASA and it's contractors actually build it that way even if it was a prop for the Hoax? Did they just not care about it being believable?

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 10:22:58 AM »
Hope this helps.[/quote]
Sure it does, thanks.

Well done on having a go.
Information that you find for yourself will be remembered far longer than information supplied by other people. 

Now you know that there aren't any "photo anomalies". The only anomaly was in your knowledge and understanding.
You are right, doing it yourself works much better and clears doubts

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »
Hello again.

I always wonder, why would NASA and it's contractors actually build it that way even if it was a prop for the Hoax? Did they just not care about it being believable?
I dont understand CT logic sometimes...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
Hello again.

They built it that way, because it didn't have to look "aerodynamic" since it was operated in a nearly void atmosphere with low gravity.  Looks can be deceptive all it "had to do" was land, take off and rendezvous/dock.  Why would NASA have any thoughts at what a group of people perceived to their very successful vehicle.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 10:40:50 AM »

All you're seeing is the outer covering.  Check-out what the LM looks like without its insulation and outer skin:

On the upper right is the Ascent Stage, where the crew rides.  Notice that the pressurized compartment is supported by closely-space aluminum ribs.  On the left is the Descent Stage, which has to support the weight of the Ascent Stage and function as a launch pad for it when it's time to leave the Moon.  It was made using a rugged, welded-box construction.

Here's the back of the Ascent Stage, showing the unpressurized electronics bay.  The thin stringers are what the light-weight outer coverings mount to.  Underneath them you can see the robust main support girders.

Hope this helps.

Looks a lot different without the covering, good visual for everybody to view.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
The closest thing the average layman is likely to get to the aluminized films used on the LM is a potato chip (crisp, in Commonwealth) wrapper.  The same process makes those.  They have nearly all the optical properties of metals and nearly all the mechanical properties of plastics.  We still use those materials extensively on spacecraft today.  So I'm absolutely floored when conspiracy people say it doesn't look like a spaceship, when there are plenty of examples of other actual spacecraft that use laid-up films as their thermal blankets.

Structurally the LM was meant to be very light and very strong.  The ascent stage had to be built to enclose a habitable volume, so it was built using a small handful of heavy structural elements around which was composed a balloon of stiffened aluminum skin.  That's how you do it.  That's essentially how the space shuttle was built too.

The methods developed for building the unpressurized descent stage are still very much how we do structural design today for unmanned spacecraft.  We typically build a chassis of stiffened plates in some particular intersecting pattern.  All the key components are attached somewhere to those plates and then covered with a thin skin or blankets.

I've spoken about the tape before.  Industrial pressure-sensitive adhesives are nothing like what is sold to the general public.  I use Mylar tapes that are sticky enough to need a trip to the hospital if you accidentally stick it to your skin.  If you saw where LM-2's outer covering was in the worst distress, prior to its restoration a few years ago, it certainly wasn't the tape.  And that's the proper way to fasten blankets together, or to certain kinds of underlying structure.  Piercing fasteners such as screws or rivets create points where the mechanical stress concentrates and risks tearing the blanket, just like the front page in every loose-leaf binder.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams