Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Why explore space?

(1/3) > >>

Inanimate Carbon Rod:
In 1970, a Zambia-based nun named Sister Mary Jucunda wrote to Dr. Ernst Stuhlinger, then-associate director of science at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, in response to his ongoing research into a piloted mission to Mars. Specifically, she asked how he could suggest spending billions of dollars on such a project at a time when so many children were starving on Earth.

Stuhlinger soon sent the following letter of explanation to Sister Jucunda, along with a copy of "Earthrise," the iconic photograph of Earth taken in 1968 by astronaut William Anders, from the Moon (also embedded in the transcript). His thoughtful reply was later published by NASA, and titled, "Why Explore Space?"

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/08/why-explore-space.html

Inanimate Carbon Rod:
I expect his waste-paper bin contained another screwed up one that just said 'get stuffed you crabby old, god-bothering baggage'!  ;D

ApolloGnomon:
Similarly, why bother learning how to walk? Isn't it just easier to lie on the floor and let someone else pour pre-chewed food into your mouth?

Just to put things in perspective, the entire value of the AIG bailout (cash and credit lines) would have paid for NASA's annual budget (at current levels) for ten years.

The contractually obligated bonus AIG paid out that caused so much kerfluffel? That would have paid for 1/3 of one shuttle launch.

Not Myself:

--- Quote from: Inanimate Carbon Rod on August 31, 2012, 06:21:49 PM ---I expect his waste-paper bin contained another screwed up one that just said 'get stuffed you crabby old, god-bothering baggage'!  ;D

--- End quote ---

That's pretty much the answer given whenever this topic comes up at Bad Astronomy.

--- Quote from: ApolloGnomon on August 31, 2012, 11:13:07 PM ---Similarly, why bother learning how to walk? Isn't it just easier to lie on the floor and let someone else pour pre-chewed food into your mouth?
--- End quote ---

I don't think I'd use that one if I were lobbying for space exploration funding, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I have, however, discovered that it is possible to donate money to NASA.

http://nodis3.gsfc.nasa.gov/npg_img/N_PD_1210_001G_/N_PD_1210_001G__main.pdf

Here is a financial report.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/636350main_Financials_NASA-FY2011-PAR-4-3-2012.pdf

There's a $15 million item called "Donations and Forfeitures of Property" in a section called "Other Financing Sources".  There may be further detail in the footnotes; I didn't bother looking.

I'd be interested what answers members of this board will have to three questions.

a) How much do you plan to donate to NASA (or other space exploration agencies) next year?
b) How much do you plan to donate to feed starving children in Zambia or other such places next year?
c) How much do you plan to spend on cable television next year?

Zakalwe:

--- Quote from: Coelacanth on September 01, 2012, 04:05:04 AM ---
a) How much do you plan to donate to NASA (or other space exploration agencies) next year?
b) How much do you plan to donate to feed starving children in Zambia or other such places next year?
c) How much do you plan to spend on cable television next year?

--- End quote ---

Brilliant!

It sorta puts in into perspective. Look up the annual spend on fast food, soda, cigarettes. Then wonder why our priorities are so out of whack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version