Author Topic: Single malt whisky  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Single malt whisky
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:59:35 PM »
I partake in the drinking of the single malt. Anyone have any favourite malts or regions?

I really enjoy Dalwhinnie, Talisker and Glen Morangie. I would be interested to hear views as I am about to purchase a couple of new bottles.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Single malt whisky
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »
Talisker and Glen Morangie are good choices. I also rather like Glenlivet. Auchentoschen is a fancy one too, especially the name. First tried it at a whisky tasting at Vinopolis at London Bridge.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 04:04:17 PM »
Auchentoschen is a fancy one too, especially the name. First tried it at a whisky tasting at Vinopolis at London Bridge.

Yes, I've seen bottles. It's a lowland which I have never really tried. I'll see if I can get a taste before, but I might invest.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »
They stock it in Milroys of Soho just off Soho Square.

I should also mention that I do like Glenfiddich but it's available everywhere so it isn't very interesting to say so. The most generous measure of the stuff was at Epcot Center where when I asked for a dram at the Rose and Crown pub, the cast guy filled the whole glass. He was Northern Irish according to his badge so you'd think he'd know better. Then again maybe that's the way to drink whiskey, but not whisky.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »
I have a bottle of Dalmore that I have had for 10 years and never been opened. Never had the right occasion to open it.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »
Alas I quit drinking about 35 years ago and haven't had any previous to that.  Colored alcohols gave me worse hangovers and I switched to either Vodka or gin for my preferences.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »
I really enjoy Dalwhinnie, Talisker and Glen Morangie.

Not to make too long a list...

For Dalwhinnie try Glenkinchie or Auchentoshan  as alternatives

For Glenmorangie i would try i.e. Balvenie, Highland Park

Taliker - probably some Islay, Lagavulin is my favourite

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:51:56 AM »
What about bourbons? Not a scotch fan per se but Kentucky Straight Bourbon...

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 04:46:44 AM »
Aah show me the way to the next whisky bar!

I love the smokey Islay malts, particularly Laphroaig, but as an occasional treat I'll head for a Lagavullin. I'm  not averse to the softer Highland malts either. I've also been round a couple of distilleries - Talisker's is lovely.

Anyone tried the Octomore range?

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »
What about bourbons? Not a scotch fan per se but Kentucky Straight Bourbon...
Bourbon is more my speed as well, but then again, I can probably count the times I've tried single malts on one hand, and Talisker is the only brand I remember having.

Never mind, just give me beer goddammit! ;)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »
You could try Bourbon, but it would probably end in a revolution and you'd get a Napoleon instead.

Offline archolman

• Mercury
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »
I like Jura & Islay whiskies mainly, as well as Highland Park, but I always seem to go back to Springbank.

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 03:58:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm a whisk(e)y guy.  At any given time, I have four or five open in the rotation.  Currently, they are The Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14, The Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 15, Connemara 12 peated Irish malt, Maker's 46 bourbon, and the standard Jameson Irish blend.  My favorites are the peat monsters, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Talisker, Oban, et al.  Smoke, peat, iodine...I love it. 

I once had a dram of Macallan 30 that was nigh on a religious experience and I didn't even have to pay for it.  I was in DC on business a few years ago and stopped at the hotel bar after dinner to check their selection.  A loud, out-of-town lawyer (who had already sampled a few, I think) found out I'm from Alaska, took a serious liking to my hat, and insisted on buying me a drink.  He had the bartender set up four or five for us and others at the bar...at $80 per.  Man, was it good.

Bourbon's are my next favorite.  I have a bottle of wheated bourbon from Parker's Heritage Collection tucked away for the occasional tipple.  'Out of sight, out of mind' has helped it last a hand full of years.  I also had a bottle of their cask strength 11 year old KSBW but it's long gone and I haven't seen anything else from them around town for a long time. Other favorites are Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Woodford Reserve, W.L Weller, and too many more.

Summertime always finds a pot of mint growing on the deck for my guilty pleasure: mint juleps.  Nothing too fancy for these.  I often use...and don't laugh...Costco's Kirkland label bourbon.  I hear tell it's sourced from the Buffalo Trace distillery and it's quite drinkable.  Not top shelf by any means but decent.