Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 863246 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1035 on: January 15, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
+1 on the animation.

I have to say that it made an appearance over the weekend.  I saved the animated GIF.  We were watching Apollo 13 and then For All Mankind, and someone noticed a marked difference between the translunar diagram in the Ron Howard movie and the one from the historical footage; the latter being apparently far more to scale.  I pulled up the diagram to illustrate the actual Earth-fixed scale arrangement.  So thanks again from me as well.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1036 on: January 15, 2013, 08:29:33 PM »
Please accept my apologies. I did think before posting it and decided to go ahead. I had assumed that the fact that Heiwa had posted the information on his own web-page that it was an acceptable risk as it was clearly in the public domain.
I clearly got that bit wrong, and I apologise to Lunar Orbit and to Heiwa.

No problem. The fact that Heiwa publishes the information on his website means he can't really complain. But I wouldn't want some nut to stalk him (or worse), and if he doesn't even live there then it's someone else that might get hurt. Better safe than sorry.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #1037 on: January 16, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »
Do you ever think before you post?  At all?

Hey, it is hard work to be that wrong ...

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #1038 on: January 16, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
Diagrams are not the only way of seeing the route to the moon.

One of the interesting things that came up when I was looking at my satellite image comparisons was in using Stellarium to look at where the terminator line should be at the time an Apollo photograph was taken, or to use that Stellarium view of Earth from the moon to work out a time for a photograph.

The further away the Apollo missions were from the moon, the least like the Stellarium view of Earth the photographs are in terms of the shape of the lit portion of the surface, and this gradually changes over translunar coast until there is an exact match.

The explanation is, of course, simple. In the early part of the mission, they are not on the moon, they are pointing towards where the moon will eventually be when they get there, and quite obviously this gives a different view of the Earth in space. The fact that this view of Earth changes gradually to become the same as the Stellarium depiction is yet another clue to the fact that are in space following a trajectory that will put them on a lunar intercept.

You can see the same effect in reverse with pictures of Earth on the way home, and also by comparing the view of the moon from Earth with photographs of the receding moon taken during trans-earth coast. These views start by showing areas not visible from Earth (after the far side TEI burn) and with a lunar phase obviously different  to the terrestrial view. The closer they get to Earth, the more like the view from Earth the lunar photographs are.

The evidence Heiwa needs to see how the Apollo trajectories work are all in those photographs. No equations necessary, just joined up thinking.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1039 on: January 16, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »
The evidence Heiwa needs to see how the Apollo trajectories work are all in those photographs. No equations necessary, just joined up thinking.

Oh dear.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #1040 on: January 16, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »
Diagrams are not the only way of seeing the route to the moon.

One of the interesting things that came up when I was looking at my satellite image comparisons was in using Stellarium to look at where the terminator line should be at the time an Apollo photograph was taken, or to use that Stellarium view of Earth from the moon to work out a time for a photograph.

The further away the Apollo missions were from the moon, the least like the Stellarium view of Earth the photographs are in terms of the shape of the lit portion of the surface, and this gradually changes over translunar coast until there is an exact match.

The explanation is, of course, simple. In the early part of the mission, they are not on the moon, they are pointing towards where the moon will eventually be when they get there, and quite obviously this gives a different view of the Earth in space. The fact that this view of Earth changes gradually to become the same as the Stellarium depiction is yet another clue to the fact that are in space following a trajectory that will put them on a lunar intercept.

You can see the same effect in reverse with pictures of Earth on the way home, and also by comparing the view of the moon from Earth with photographs of the receding moon taken during trans-earth coast. These views start by showing areas not visible from Earth (after the far side TEI burn) and with a lunar phase obviously different  to the terrestrial view. The closer they get to Earth, the more like the view from Earth the lunar photographs are.

I personally think Heiwa already realises he is hopelessly wrong and totally out of his depth. This is the old ego thing.....a CTer will never own up to such a colossal mistake.....particularly when he has put his real name to it.

Your website is amazing....bookmarked!

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #1041 on: January 18, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
Björkman hasn't updated his website since the 10th, thus sadly depriving me of a reason for procrastination. :( What I didn't notice the last time I checked it is that he had replaced the strange emblem in the top-right corner with his photo.

[offtopic] Speaking of Stellarium, if you need insight in its workings, I can be of some help - I am one of the current developers, though I haven't been active recently for a number of reasons. [/offtopic]

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #1042 on: January 18, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
[offtopic] Speaking of Stellarium, if you need insight in its workings, I can be of some help - I am one of the current developers, though I haven't been active recently for a number of reasons. [/offtopic]

Yeah! How the hey do you manually add orbital elements to the ssystem.ini file and make it freaking work? I've read the users manual and tons of websites and tried everything and nothing works.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #1043 on: January 19, 2013, 12:04:34 PM »
Until heiwa returns again, I thought I'd offer some counselling sessions for those of us here who are devestated by the fact that we didn't win the 1 million euros. I think our best method would be groups therapy whereby our fears and dissapointment are laid out and we develop coping mechanisms to help deal with our collective feelings of loss.

Who is in?
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #1044 on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »
He's decided to try CosmoQuest now. Trying to be sneaky about his intentions by not mentioning Apollo. How long do you suppose that'll last?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1045 on: January 19, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »
Who is in?

I'm Echnaton, and I didn't with the million euros. 

I am devastated but that is the best I can muster right now. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1046 on: January 19, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
He's decided to try CosmoQuest now. Trying to be sneaky about his intentions by not mentioning Apollo. How long do you suppose that'll last?

How much do you want to bet his next post there will involve him telling people they're off topic? ;)
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #1047 on: January 19, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
I'm Dwight and I'm a recovering didn't-win-heiwa's-million-euros-holic. I've been devestated about that for a few weeks now, but thanks to watching the restored Apollo 11 video continually for 3 weeks straight I deal with my sadness one day at a time.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1048 on: January 19, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »
Until heiwa returns again, I thought I'd offer some counselling sessions for those of us here who are devestated by the fact that we didn't win the 1 million euros. I think our best method would be groups therapy whereby our fears and dissapointment are laid out and we develop coping mechanisms to help deal with our collective feelings of loss.

Who is in?

You might have to counsel Heiwa yet....after all, he has yet to respond to MY €1M challenge to him......

If you care to follow his detailed video then you too could try this for yourself (I bet YOU €1M that you will not try this)

;D ;D ;D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1049 on: January 19, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
I'm Dwight and I'm a recovering didn't-win-heiwa's-million-euros-holic. I've been devestated about that for a few weeks now, but thanks to watching the restored Apollo 11 video continually for 3 weeks straight I deal with my sadness one day at a time.

Hi, Dwight.  Your strength is inspiring to us all.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett