Author Topic: Flu Home Remedies  (Read 29328 times)

Offline LionKing

• Mars
Re: Flu Home Remedies
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »
Really, Lionking.  Your reflexive desire to believe against-the-mainstream stuff is getting you into trouble.  Personal anecdote and random web links are no replacement for a an education about the actual way nature works.

"Detox" is yet another marketing term with no meaning designed to separate the ignorant and gullible from their money.  Do you think your body is harboring excess arsenic without eliminating it?  Do you think your normal perspiration is insufficient to do it normal functions? 

What does this have to do with the flu virus anyway?

Nothing. You are just doing a gish gallop to avoid the question and the fact that you cannot support what you say.

^^This^^

Citing a woo-woo "health" page that seriously portrays bunkum such as homeopathy as evidence, is the equivalent of using Bart Sibrel to back a hoax argument.

Get real Lionking. You are going nowhere with this ridiculous line of "debate"

https://www.hoffmancentre.com/assets/files/pdf/articles/Arsenic,%20Cadium,%20Lead%20and%20Mercury%20in%20Sweat.pdf

this is not any article. it is published analyzing many articles. this is re detox

re sweating and common cold, I know that it always works for me. I like to read about how and the different theories around, but I know it works, so trying to convince me that it is not scientific is the ridiculous thing
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
it doesn't matter how..it matters that it works for me and other people as they report.
here is how I found out it kills viruses http://naturalsociety.com/how-sweating-fight-infection-illness/

my friend is a physician and she once told me that white blood cells work better in warmer body

at any rates, sweating is good also for getting out arsenic and other poisonous materials . there is a meta-analysis of articles in this regards that recommends regulating sweating in guidelines as a measure for detox.

Really, Lionking.  Your reflexive desire to believe against-the-mainstream stuff is getting you into trouble.  Personal anecdote and random web links are no replacement for a an education about the actual way nature works.

"Detox" is yet another marketing term with no meaning designed to separate the ignorant and gullible from their money.  Do you think your body is harboring excess arsenic without eliminating it?  Do you think your normal perspiration is insufficient to do it normal functions? 

What does this have to do with the flu virus anyway?

Nothing. You are just doing a gish gallop to avoid the question and the fact that you cannot support what you say.

really echnaton. I am in no mood for discussing back your scornful attitude
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
LionKing - I suggest you leave the biological processes to somebody who has been educated in their causes and effects.

A fever is the immunesystems response to an infection, because it stresses the bacteria into changing their cell membranes viscosity and thereby slowing their growth. A virus is not susceptible to this increase in temperature. The body reacts with a fever nonetheless, but it is not as high, and it is not a vital part in the response to the infection.

What you do is mistaking cause and effect, and also contributing certain effects to other effects and not to their cause. It's like people who flash their high beams at a traffic light because "it makes it go green" when the actual sensor is an induction spool embedded in the road.

One who studied cell biology and chemistry for 5 ½ years.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »
Allan, I cited the sciencedaily http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111101130200.htm

as I previously said, incase of common cols, it has never failed me. I don't care a lot how it works, but it should have a scientific explanation. The scientists in the article above are trying to understand and have an open mind, and this is the right path to understand rather than dodging it away. even animals move to higher temperature areas when they are sick as the article says
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:52:49 PM by LionKing »
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
Allan, I cited the sciencedaily http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111101130200.htm

as I previously said, incase of common cols, it has never failed me. I don't care a lot how it works, but it should have a scientific explanation. The scientists in the article above are trying to understand and have an open mind, and this is the right path to understand rather than dodging it away. even animals move to higher temperature areas when they are sick as the article says

The "open mind"-thing is a dead giveaway - once that concept is on the table, you should know somebody is throwing all serious research away, and inventing their own results.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
Allen, please type "high body temperature kill virus" on google..u can read plenty of articles in this regards. plus, my friend is a physician and she told me that immune system works better in higher body temperature
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:07:32 PM by LionKing »
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »

https://www.hoffmancentre.com/assets/files/pdf/articles/Arsenic,%20Cadium,%20Lead%20and%20Mercury%20in%20Sweat.pdf

this is not any article. it is published analyzing many articles. this is re detox

re sweating and common cold, I know that it always works for me. I like to read about how and the different theories around, but I know it works, so trying to convince me that it is not scientific is the ridiculous thing

And what, exactly, has that to do with your original topic? It is a bibliographical collection of research on the excretion rates of heavy metals via the sweat glands. What relevance has that to do with your claim?

You are doing nothing more than hand-waving and gish-galloping. Uou started off with wanting to know home-remedies for the flu, then decided that you mixed up the flu with the common cold, then went on to ramble about the difference between "synthetic" and "natural" chemicals, from there to some rubbish about the dangers of medicine versus tea, then claimed that the flu is caused by cold and then on to that favourite of the media "detox". It's a gish-gallop of epic proportions.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »

And what, exactly, has that to do with your original topic? It is a bibliographical collection of research on the excretion rates of heavy metals via the sweat glands. What relevance has that to do with your claim?

You are doing nothing more than hand-waving and gish-galloping. Uou started off with wanting to know home-remedies for the flu, then decided that you mixed up the flu with the common cold, then went on to ramble about the difference between "synthetic" and "natural" chemicals, from there to some rubbish about the dangers of medicine versus tea, then claimed that the flu is caused by cold and then on to that favourite of the media "detox". It's a gish-gallop of epic proportions.

I meant common cold not flu, it is bcz English is not my first language. here we have different words to distinguish them too. I just didn't know the English term and thought it is the same. the difference between natural and synthetic I debated and learned what I have been told. medicine do have side effects we here about as you know, it turned out tea has, but not if not heavily consumed. it has to be researched if they have rare effects in case of low consumption, unlike medicine that for sure has some rare but dangerous effects. I mentioned detoxing marginally alongside benefits of sweating but was dismissed this is why I put the article
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »

Fair enough.

Let me try to restate without the tude. 

Since your first venture here with claims of a  moon hoax, you have never supported your assertions with anything beyond personal opinion and random links.  I remember the support for your Apollo Hoax claim based on the fact that a flag was taped to the side of the LM in a disrespectful way.  From that time to now, your discussions have followed the same trend of providing little more than scattered anecdotes and overlaying personal beliefs, as facts, onto whatever is under discussion.   With a decided tendency to accept whatever is against what can be shown through actual scientific or historical inquiry.  You have an agenda, methodology, reason or something that drives your beliefs but you keep it hidden from the discussion. 

The reason I get exasperated with you is that you never change.  You never learn that this approach does not lead to learning.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »

Fair enough.

Let me try to restate without the tude. 

Since your first venture here with claims of a  moon hoax, you have never supported your assertions with anything beyond personal opinion and random links.  I remember the support for your Apollo Hoax claim based on the fact that a flag was taped to the side of the LM in a disrespectful way.  From that time to now, your discussions have followed the same trend of providing little more than scattered anecdotes and overlaying personal beliefs, as facts, onto whatever is under discussion.   With a decided tendency to accept whatever is against what can be shown through actual scientific or historical inquiry.  You have an agenda, methodology, reason or something that drives your beliefs but you keep it hidden from the discussion. 

The reason I get exasperated with you is that you never change.  You never learn that this approach does not lead to learning.

it is not anecdote when there is a scientific explanation being proposed by scientists. It is your inability to learn about new things ..
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »
I meant common cold not flu, it is bcz English is not my first language.

This is another reason I am confused/exasperated.  Because you were so insistent about a discussion for the flu earlier. 

Hi Echnaton,
I am talking here ONLY about FLU,

Most of this discussion has been about Flu.  Because as we all know there is nothing to do for a cold than treat the symptoms till you feel better.  If tea comforts you then drink tea.  My only comment about tea, is that is is a nonspecific term.  Tea is a drink that can be made with anything.  So if one wants to discuss medicinal benefits beyond "makes me feel better", one needs to specify the plant, the processing and the active chemicals. 

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »
it is not anecdote when there is a scientific explanation being proposed by scientists. It is your inability to learn about new things ..

Let me address this with information from one of your links. 

http://www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/behind_the_label/268787/behind_the_label_lemsip_max_cold_flu_capsules.html

perhaps this article explains better what i mean

As doctors can tell you, the best remedy for colds and flu is the traditional one: rest, warmth, fluids – and time. Drug manufacturers want you to believe otherwise. But, as Pat Thomas reports, pharmaceutical ‘cures’ may be more than just a waste of money

This article does what you do, confuse the issue between cold and flu.  Which are in reality very different diseases.  Also notice the " 'cures' " portion.  It is well know that acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Paracetamol is not a cure for anything.  It is a NSAID that is used to treat fever and is very good at treating joint pain.   

The article goes on to complain about over the counter medicines, "however, most have been found – through objective, scientific studies – to be useless."

Well we know through scientific studies that acetaminophen is in fact quite useful.  So the article is flat wrong on this point, at least as it applies to its initial topic. 

"So, in spite of the fact that nothing you can buy will cure your cold," something that is not in dispute, "a huge number of us have succumbed to the hit-it-hard-and-hit-it fast remedies such as the Lemsip ‘Max’ range."

Do you see what they are doing here?  Taking a point that is not in dispute and connecting it to a straw man position.  People take acetaminophen to relieve symptoms of a cold, something it does very well. 

The article goes on to say people should just rest and everything will get better in time. But if you have kids to care for, a job that needs your attention, and an income that is needed to pay the rent, then a few days off work can be far more than an inconvenience.  For many many people it is just not realistic.

Many of us are lucky and can telecommute on sick days, but most folks still have to be at the jobsite and need safe and effective drugs to ease the symptoms of illnesses they must bear up under.  Drivel like this stuff from theecologist.org is not very helpful and certainly not scientific. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:11:48 PM by Echnaton »

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »
I just googled "sweat out a cold".  I got pages and pages of results showing quotes and advice from doctors saying it is an old wives' tale, a bad idea, it is a myth, it accelerates dehydration, it is ineffective etc.

I'm going to repeat myself, as I have addressed this point and been ignored.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »
it doesn't matter how..it matters that it works for me and other people as they report.
here is how I found out it kills viruses http://naturalsociety.com/how-sweating-fight-infection-illness/

my friend is a physician and she once told me that white blood cells work better in warmer body

at any rates, sweating is good also for getting out arsenic and other poisonous materials . there is a meta-analysis of articles in this regards that recommends regulating sweating in guidelines as a measure for detox.

You are confusing sweating and elevated body temperature. The dermicidin in your sweat will not protect you from a virus that is already inside your body giving you a cold, since it is in a totally different place (the quote about it 'funelling viruses and bacteria through its structure' is utter bunk, since the protein dermicidin is much smaller than any virus or bacterium). The elevated temperature may indeed help your immune system work better, but as the sciencedaily article says, that is what your body does naturally in response to an infection.

The point, as always, remains that whether you take pharmaceuticals or 'natural' remedies, ALL have side effects.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2014, 04:23:28 AM »
I just googled "sweat out a cold".  I got pages and pages of results showing quotes and advice from doctors saying it is an old wives' tale, a bad idea, it is a myth, it accelerates dehydration, it is ineffective etc.

I'm going to repeat myself, as I have addressed this point and been ignored.

(I know Lionking is the reason for this but if I may add.....)

I would like to reconsider my earlier reply (page 1).
As someone who has done this, I think the reason for was more the comfort and something to do and getting better reinforced the idea it was working. I had never considered it the right thing, just never considered it if that makes sense. You hear about it as you grow up from family members etc. It is the done thing. It is like asking someone why an item carries such an odd name, no one knows but it is what it has always been called.

That said the flu jab is a marvellous thing so if I ever suffer this malady again, I shall just be grumpy, not hot and grumpy.