Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 16930 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Brexit
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2016, 07:21:43 AM »

A buying opportunity then  ;D
I've just stuck a couple of £K on Barclays....could be worth a bounce.
I think you're right, futures up here 1% :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2016, 07:31:05 AM »
Can somebody explain the dramatic difference in votes between Scotland and Northern Ireland on the one hand and England and Wales on the other?

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2016, 01:15:38 PM »
Can somebody explain the dramatic difference in votes between Scotland and Northern Ireland on the one hand and England and Wales on the other?

In all honesty ; it's complex and pretty baffling. The standard explanation seems to be that it was a revolt of the white working class against the metropolitan elites who neither know nor care about their lives. The vote to leave was highest in former industrialised areas that have now become areas of high unemployment or low job security. This would explain Wales, except parts of Wales are heavily dependent on EU subsidy. It also doesn't explain why Scotland and Northern Ireland, which also fit this pattern, leaned so heavily to Remain. It may be that the Scots and the Irish are just more outward looking. They also both have long traditions of emigration allied to a strong sense of national identity which doesn't veer into a suspicion of foreigners (unless it's the English). However, the 'former industrial areas' explanation doesn't explain areas like Manchester and Liverpool, which also voted Remain. I suspect that it's because these areas, like London, are heavily cosmopolitan, with large immigrant populations and a long history of integration.

It may also be something to do with the other demographic that voted Leave - the elderly. As facetious as it sounds, life expectancy in Scotland is the lowest in the UK - there just aren't as many old people in Scotland. Many coastal towns in England and Wales, where elderly people retire to, voted for Leave. Same with rural areas. It's also the case that, as usual, there was a low turnout amongst the young, who would be more likely to vote Remain.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2016, 03:32:50 PM »

Darren covered it all really. It's complex.

One other aspect that springs to mind is the surge of the SNP in Scotland. Nicola Sturgeon is an astute politician, and has run an effective campaign in Scotland to gain the votes of the Labour and LibDem supporters. Labour and LibDem have been all but wiped out in Scotland. Commentators suggest that Scottish Labour and LibDems have been abandoned as voters feel they are English-centric and no longer understand the needs of the Scottish population. There only real option is the SNP, and Sturgeon has done a great job capturing these voters. The SNP firmly aligned itself with remain, and with Sturgeon at the wheel the vote went that way.

Another consideration is that TV in the UK is very regional, and the exposure to the campaigns would have been very different.

Further, Scotland has the right to set its own budgets, so arguments south of the border would not have applied to Scotland. The battleground in England was divided over different issues to Scotland. The devolved parliament in Scotland gave a different campaign focus, a focus that resonated with the people more.

Also, it may be that Scottish people are far more progressive and outward looking. The clan system and highland way of life is still embodied in the culture of Scotland.

Northern Ireland showed divisions between Unionist and Republican areas, but I would have to find out a little more to really comment on Northern Ireland. The Irish vote is probably the most bitter pill to swallow, as Ireland is in the EU. Once the UK leaves the EU, control of the border could become an issue and there is potential to open old wounds.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch