Author Topic: When Afghanistan beats Scotland...  (Read 20365 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
When Afghanistan beats Scotland...
« on: February 26, 2015, 06:28:04 AM »
...it's the Cricket World Cup.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/current/story/838807.html

Yes, for those of you who thought cricket was a game played only Commonwealth countries (except Canada), you might be surprised to know that it's also the most popular sport in Afghanistan, thanks to thousands of refugees picking the up the game while in Pakistan.

They qualified for the current Cricket World Cup, losing to Bangladesh in their first game (played here in Canberra at a packed venue) and to Sri Lanka in their second game. And now they've won their first World Cup game, beating fellow Associate country Scotland.

The countries taking part in the Football (Soccer) World Cup are usually all highly ranked countries. But in the case of the Cricket World Cup there are the ten top-ranked countries (West Indies, England, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia and New Zealand), plus four Associate (second tier) countries, in this case Scotland, Ireland, Afghanistan and the United Arab Emirates. And quite often the most entertaining games are those between the Associate countries, like this one.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: When Afghanistan beats Scotland...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »
Cricket? That's that sport like baseball, but lonnnnnggggger, right? ;)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »

...and better too  ;)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
The countries taking part in the Football (Soccer) World Cup are usually all highly ranked countries. But in the case of the Cricket World Cup there are the ten top-ranked countries (West Indies, England, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia and New Zealand), plus four Associate (second tier) countries, in this case Scotland, Ireland, Afghanistan and the United Arab Emirates. And quite often the most entertaining games are those between the Associate countries, like this one.

Absolutely, and while I am an England fan, I hope Afghanistan beat us in a funny kind of way. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest given the plight of that country.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:55:30 AM »

Well, this is one-day cricket. For people whose concentration at watching a game extends to about 8 hours.

In any case, it sure is popular. The pool match between India and Pakistan was among the most watched sporting events in history: http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/icc-world-cup-2015/cricket-world-cup-2015-india-v-pakistan-to-join-the-most-watched-sporting-events-in-history/story-e6frf3ju-1227216796280

FORGET Ben Hur, Sunday’s World Cup clash between India and Pakistan is set to be 10 times bigger than the Super Bowl, putting it on the podium of the most-watched sporting events of all time.
My bold.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:13:03 AM »

Baseball? That's that game like rounders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders) that the girls used to play at school isn't it? :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:58:29 AM »

Baseball? That's that game like rounders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders) that the girls used to play at school isn't it? :)

We have a new guy at work from Scotland that quickly pointed that out. I never heard the term before. I told him he should watch some videos of the home plate collisions that have happened and see if he's still of the opinion it's a girls sport.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »
We have a new guy at work from Scotland that quickly pointed that out. I never heard the term before. I told him he should watch some videos of the home plate collisions that have happened and see if he's still of the opinion it's a girls sport.

Well, according to Jane Austen, base-ball was certainly a game that was played by girls. Although, so was cricket!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3562873/Jane-Austen-wrote-about-baseball-40-years-before-it-was-invented.html
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 12:07:43 PM »
<troll mode on>

Cricket and baseball?

You want to try a real mans game like hurling

<troll mode off>
  ;)    ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:11:01 PM by Zakalwe »
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
For attention spans less than 8 hours you can try American Football.

For starters, the name "football" is something of a misnomer, because kicking the ball is not part of the general flow of the game and it played primarily with the hands not the feet. A full game lasts about 3¼ hours, although the game clock only runs for an 60 minutes, and on average the ball is only in play for about 10 minutes!

However, I don't let that stop me from enjoying it, because I understand what American Football really is; not a ball game between two teams. but a game of chess between two coaches.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:53:51 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »
However, I don't let that stop me from enjoying it, because I understand what American Football really is; not a ball game between two teams. but a game of chess between two coaches.

I prefer Cleese's interpretation

;)

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »

Touche! :)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 06:24:28 PM »
I also enjoy hand-egg American football, even if it has been described as "combining the worst two aspects of American life: bouts of mindless violence, interspersed by committee meetings".
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »
Ah, but the violence is not mindless.  It is purposeful and directed.  Isn't that better?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 10:15:52 PM »
I also enjoy hand-egg American football, even if it has been described as "combining the worst two aspects of American life: bouts of mindless violence, interspersed by committee meetings".

The bold, now that was really funny.