Author Topic: When Afghanistan beats Scotland...  (Read 21272 times)

Offline gwiz

• Mars
Re: When Afghanistan beats Scotland...
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »
Oh whoopsie!

I've just looked at the fixture list and we've got Afghanistan next.  :-\
Be nice to go home with at least one win, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
It would appear that Afghanistan are about to be tonked by New Zealand.

This is how cricket looks to most people from non-cricket playing countries.

Classic Python.

It is a confusing game, but I suppose baseball and the two North American football codes are equally confusing to those brought up with the two rugby codes (one day I might get the differences and remember which difference goes with which rules set) and cricket.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »

We beat Scotland, but that results seems quite hidden by the other 4 disasters. We should field a 2nd string team and give Afghanistan a game, or should that be the other way around.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
I prefer Cleese's interpretation

Cleese is wrong when he says that American use of the word 'soccer' is inaccurate. English public schoolboys invented the word in the 19th century to differentiate between Rugby Football (rugger) and Association Football (soccer).

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »
I prefer Cleese's interpretation

Cleese is wrong when he says that American use of the word 'soccer' is inaccurate. English public schoolboys invented the word in the 19th century to differentiate between Rugby Football (rugger) and Association Football (soccer).

Heh...don't you be coming in here bringing facts to stand in the way of a good story!  ;D ;D ;) ;)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 05:11:27 PM »

We beat Scotland, but that results seems quite hidden by the other 4 disasters. We should field a 2nd string team and give Afghanistan a game, or should that be the other way around.

I saw a brilliant placard waved by an Indian fan during the India-Ireland game this morning. It said "Best team in world v best team in Europe." Anyway, who cares about ODIs? I've got my Ashes tickets for the summer.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 05:27:24 PM »
I saw a brilliant placard waved by an Indian fan during the India-Ireland game this morning. It said "Best team in world v best team in Europe."

;D

There are some in the game pushing for Ireland to have test status, I don't think it will damage the game. I'm all for it.

Anyway, who cares about ODIs? I've got my Ashes tickets for the summer.
I don't fancy England to win back the Ashes to be honest. We have the WIndies after the World Cup, and then New Zealand before the Ashes. A bit of time in the middle, and maybe there is a chance of turning over Australia.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:23:11 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 04:26:31 AM »

I don't fancy England to win back the Ashes to be honest.

We need to prepare some pudding pitches and let Jimmy choose the type of ball he wants to bowl with. And then all we need is to get the ICC to bring back Steve Bucknor and Aleem Dar to do some 2005-style umpiring for us..............

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 08:25:44 AM »

I don't fancy England to win back the Ashes to be honest.

We need to prepare some pudding pitches and let Jimmy choose the type of ball he wants to bowl with. And then all we need is to get the ICC to bring back Steve Bucknor and Aleem Dar to do some 2005-style umpiring for us..............

Ah, I wouldn't be hanging out for the umpires to save you. Australia lost the 2005 series for a number of reasons, many of them with their origin in the Australian team. Yes, the English played out of their skins, and the combination was just enough to get England the series win.

For me, there were three problems for Australia in that series. Firstly was the injury to Glenn McGrath. He was fully fit for only one test, and that was the only one that Australia won. Secondly, many of the Australians played like millionaires - on paper they were a brilliant team and no less good than teams which had won the last few series - in that they failed to apply themselves when conditions and their opponents got on top of them. Thirdly, I think Ricky Ponting was a poor captain - he inherited a brilliant team and never really seemed to develop tactics to make the best use of his players' skills because he thought he could rely on the bowling brilliance of McGrath and Warne and the batting brilliance of Hayden, Langer, himself and Gilchrist. By contrast the team Clarke led in the 2013-14 series was far less talented, but Clarke is a cannier captain than Ponting, and the team as a whole played out of their skins in the way England did in 2005.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »

Ah, I wouldn't be hanging out for the umpires to save you. Australia lost the 2005 series for a number of reasons, many of them with their origin in the Australian team. Yes, the English played out of their skins, and the combination was just enough to get England the series win.

For me, there were three problems for Australia in that series. Firstly was the injury to Glenn McGrath. He was fully fit for only one test, and that was the only one that Australia won. Secondly, many of the Australians played like millionaires - on paper they were a brilliant team and no less good than teams which had won the last few series - in that they failed to apply themselves when conditions and their opponents got on top of them. Thirdly, I think Ricky Ponting was a poor captain - he inherited a brilliant team and never really seemed to develop tactics to make the best use of his players' skills because he thought he could rely on the bowling brilliance of McGrath and Warne and the batting brilliance of Hayden, Langer, himself and Gilchrist. By contrast the team Clarke led in the 2013-14 series was far less talented, but Clarke is a cannier captain than Ponting, and the team as a whole played out of their skins in the way England did in 2005.

I thought we were lucky in 2005. We got some very friendly umpiring decisions and we were within a whisker of going 2-0 down. Yep - we had a great bowling attack and some great individual contributions with the bat, but it was seat-of-the-pants stuff. McGrath's injury was the turning point. I was at Lords that first day when Hoggy boomed a big inswinger through Hayden early on and then Harmy hit Langer on the elbow (oof!) and tinned Ponting (hurrah!). It was all going great 'til we batted. I think we were 90-7 or something at the end of the day - we just couldn't cope with McGrath. We were lucky in 2013 too (that could easily have been 2-2 going to the last game after we scraped through at Trent Bridge and rain saved us at Old Trafford) and I thought the cracks in the side were obvious, tho' all my mates thought we were brilliant. I was at Trent Bridge when Agar scored his 98 - absolute misery. Only Bell's batting got us through that year. The only series where England were clearly superior were 2009 (I had two great days at Lords - the first day when Australia just went to pieces in the field and the last day when Freddie got his 5-fer - and a great day at the Oval when Trott got his ton) and 2010/11. Poor Ricky copped a lot of stick - is he the only Aussie skipper to lose three Ashes series? At least he didn't cry like Kim Hughes did.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »

I thought we were lucky in 2005. We got some very friendly umpiring decisions and we were within a whisker of going 2-0 down. Yep - we had a great bowling attack and some great individual contributions with the bat, but it was seat-of-the-pants stuff. McGrath's injury was the turning point.

And for me this was one of those occasions where Ponting showed poor captaincy, choosing to put England in to bat. The pitch was expected to be tough for batting, but at most for only a couple of hours. After surviving that, England had by far the best of the batting conditions, and Australia did well to come close on the last day. Had Australia batted first they may well not have won, not having as strong a bowling attack, but they would have avoided the need to chase runs on a deteriorating pitch.

I was at Lords that first day when Hoggy boomed a big inswinger through Hayden early on and then Harmy hit Langer on the elbow (oof!) and tinned Ponting (hurrah!). It was all going great 'til we batted. I think we were 90-7 or something at the end of the day - we just couldn't cope with McGrath. We were lucky in 2013 too (that could easily have been 2-2 going to the last game after we scraped through at Trent Bridge and rain saved us at Old Trafford) and I thought the cracks in the side were obvious, tho' all my mates thought we were brilliant. I was at Trent Bridge when Agar scored his 98 - absolute misery. Only Bell's batting got us through that year.

Yes, Australia was only just emerging from a poor couple of series, having sacked Micky Arthur as coach - a man who was apparently a very bad fit for the people in the Australian team he was dealing with - and with some attitude problems among some of the players. On the one hand Australia's performance in 2013 was very erratic, but on the other hand it was pointed out that England won the series without reaching 400 in any innings.

The only series where England were clearly superior were 2009 (I had two great days at Lords - the first day when Australia just went to pieces in the field and the last day when Freddie got his 5-fer - and a great day at the Oval when Trott got his ton) and 2010/11. Poor Ricky copped a lot of stick - is he the only Aussie skipper to lose three Ashes series? At least he didn't cry like Kim Hughes did.

Well, as I've pointed out a couple of times I don't think Ponting was a clever captain. In the final test in 2005 when Australia had to win he accepted an offer from the umpires to stop play for bad light when the batsmen were well set and risks needed to be taken. On the other hand in the first test in 2009 he kept Australia batting too long when the opportunity was there to get a demoralised England back in to bat. And as a general rule he had a very negative approach when dealing with a recognised batsman batting with tailenders (rather than trying to get the batsman out he'd try everything to just get him off strike in an attempt to bowl at the tailender). He also seemed to have little idea of using part-time bowlers or of innovative field settings - neither of them necessary when you have two of the world's best bowlers in your team as he did at the start of his captaincy, but increasingly important when your attack is rather more pedestrian.

However in 2010-11 it was mostly a case of Australia's best not being up to the task of facing an England in awesome form.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 06:56:45 PM »
Aside from the Ashes, it would appear that the 2019 WC is going to be reduced from the current 14 teams to 10, which means Ireland and Afghanistan are going to find it more difficult to qualify. So, when other sports are discussing the expansion of their their World Tournaments and the IOC is always churning the sports in the Olympic programme, the ICC takes a backward step.

Utter sigh from me  >:(

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 06:50:45 AM »
Cricket, Rugby and American Football. I understand some rules, but not all. Hey I'm German, so what do I know  ;D

Anyway I like to watch it, although I get confused (especially by watching cricket) with the rules. But it's a good show, and I think this is the most important thing.
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 08:07:59 AM »
You could always go to watch a game live in Germany: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_in_Germany

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »
Cricket, Rugby and American Football. I understand some rules, but not all. Hey I'm German, so what do I know  ;D

There are no rules in cricket and rugby, there are laws. ;)

Eh, I played both games for several years, and I don't know all the laws. I remember going for a ball once in rugby and my skip was screaming at me not to play the ball. I was offside. I played the ball and we conceded a penalty and lost territory. Skips was not too happy.

In another game I kept being pinged (called) by the ref. I had no idea what for. I enquired:

'Sir, with all respect, why do you keep pinging me at the ruck?'

Believe it, or believe it not, the ref was not happy that I asked and penalised us 10 metres for my dissent. I should have asked my skipper to ask him.