Author Topic: Dealing with the "searing radiation hell"  (Read 3296 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Dealing with the "searing radiation hell"
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:28:03 PM »
Whenever anyone talks about sending manned missions to Mars and beyond, the subject of radiation and shielding must crop up. Its is a subject that often gets put aside in discussions as people wax lyrical about space exploration and colonies on the Moon and other planets etc, but it is an annoying "elephant in the room" that is going to have to be addressed at some point.

For the Apollo missions, the van Allen belts were dealt with effectively (despite what some HBs will have us believe) by selecting the "safest" trajectory. The main danger was some sort of Solar eruption (a CME or Solar Flare) but with mission durations being so short, the chances of one happening were quite small, and even if Murphy's Law did strike, IIRC, there was a contingency for this which involved lining up the CSM stack to use the SM as a shield. There was also the danger of exposure to cosmic radiation once we got beyond the van Allen belts but again, with short duration missions, exposure was not considered significant.

Now while transiting the van Allen belts would be dealt with the same way, and occurrence of a CME or solar flare during a Mars mission could be dealt with in a similar fashion, by aligning the spacecraft so that the crew cabin is shielded by the bulk of the spacecraft, this is not going to resolve the issue of long term exposure to cosmic radiation. Cosmic particles shower the solar system from every direction 24/7/365, so some kind of very effective shielding is going to have to be used. With solid shielding there is potentially an awful lot of weight to be carried into space and also an also an issue with something called secondary radiation, which IIUC, is caused by radiation being emitted by the shield itself when it is struck by high-energy cosmic particles. Also, quite aside from the protection of humans, there is also the exponential increase in complexity from the computer systems in use during the time of Apollo (RTL chips etc) to the USLI chips of today's computers. There is little doubt in my mind that USLI technology would be much more susceptible to cosmic radiation.

About 20 years ago (maybe more) I read a paper by a NASA (Ames?) researcher about the possibility of shielding future spacecraft with an electromagnetic field. It sounded like something out of science fiction (shields up Mr Scott!!), but the more I read the paper, the more I realised that this was a serious proposal and he might have been onto something. The idea was to try to deflect or divert cosmic rays around the spacecraft rather then try to than try to stop them altogether. One of the conclusions the writer came to was that the greatest issue was that it would require a lot of power to create a magnetic field capable of deflecting cosmic particles. He expressed the hope that the future would see materials developed that would allow for greater power generation.

Well, it is now the future from that writer's perspective, or at least its 20 or more years into it, and I can't say I have read much more stuff on this idea of magnetic shielding. I have seen stuff on blogs and websites about it but nothing really definitive from NASA or other researchers. Is this an idea that has died a natural death or been put in the "too hard" basket? Do any of our aerospace experts here at Apollohoax know if there has been any fresh opinions or new developments in this idea?

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline 12oh2alarm

• Venus
  • This dude likes Don Martin cartoons.
Re: Dealing with the "searing radiation hell"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:45:41 PM »
Maybe it's because it only solves part of the radiation problem.

Magnetic deflection works only for charged particles: protons and alpha (=helium nuclei). Electrons aren't a big problem I assume. But it does nothing to neutrons and x-ray/gamma photons and might also create secondary radiation (synchroton radiation = more photons).

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »
Maybe it's because it only solves part of the radiation problem.

Magnetic deflection works only for charged particles: protons and alpha (=helium nuclei). Electrons aren't a big problem I assume. But it does nothing to neutrons and x-ray/gamma photons and might also create secondary radiation (synchroton radiation = more photons).
Also, it's an active system. Meaning, it can break.
 A crazy idea I had for once infrastructure for lunar resource harvesting is in place is to send a less shielded ship with only enough oxygen, hydrogen, water, and shielding for a short lunar sortee, and have the rest sent up from the moon's surface.  Even food. The journey to the moon would also act as a shakedown cruise.
  Once we get really into space infrastructure, we could have whole ships constructed and supplied in  stable lunar orbits, or in Earth orbit supplied by asteroids.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »
While browsing the web for resources I came on two pages that calculate the  amount of radiation encountered through the VARB:

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Space_Math_III.pdf
http://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/Algebra1/3Page7.pdf
Damn the other one isn't in the links.  I'll post an edit when/if I find it.

EDIT to add second link.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:44:27 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
It's just easier to use passive shielding.  Without any particular effort you can get 8-11 g/cm2 shielding from your hull.  This is enough to protect against normal solar radiation.  With good design you can get up to 30 g/cm2, enough to provide adequate protection against CMEs and all but the most energetic cosmic rays.  That's without allocating mass to shielding.

Active shielding requires additional mass and is a complex system that can fail catastrophically.  You don't need it for going to Mars.

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 11:18:10 PM »
But, but...

Humans can't travel through the Van Allen belts!

NASA has said many times that they can't figure out how to get through all the radiation, and they still can't.

::)
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »
But, but...

Humans can't travel through the Van Allen belts!

NASA has said many times that they can't figure out how to get through all the radiation, and they still can't.

::)

I wished that NASA had reviewed/edited Kelly Smith's presentation, before it was posted.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan