Author Topic: Sometimes customers say the darndest things...  (Read 3065 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Sometimes customers say the darndest things...
« on: May 29, 2016, 09:44:46 PM »
... and really make you stop and think!

As most of you are probably aware, I have an Apollo 17 display in my shop (see this post http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=824.msg32909#msg32909). I often get positive comments about it from interested customers (and a very occasional "so you believe they actually went") but today, a customer said something that made me stop and think.

We were discussing the fact that it was a three-day mission, and that problems started to arise with the dust. I explained how the dust was not dust as we know it on earth, but sharp edged and very abrasive and that one of the astronauts (cannot remember which one)  had said this was going to be a serious problem if we ever decided to have longer stay missions or a base on the moon.

The customer then said "Maybe that is one of the reasons why they have never gone back, because they have yet to come up with an economical way ensuring that dust doesn't get inside their capsule/base?"  That got me thinking a bit, as I had never herd anyone suggest that as a reason before, but it seemed a reasonable idea to me.

What do we think?

Is the dust really the mission-stopping issue it appears to be?

Has there been any attempt to address the dust issues for long-stay missions?

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: Sometimes customers say the darndest things...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »
The U.S. beat the Soviets 1-0. (well 6-0 before it was said and done).

IMO, momentum, money already spent, as well as short term political/economic concerns (lots of jobs in key congressional districts, of both political parties, spread throughout the land) are the main reasons they didn't gut the program further.

Lunar regolith is a huge issue for future landings, but I just haven't seen any evidence that anyone sees it as the showstopper.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »
I have read somewhere that dust removal/cleaning is a major concern for longer duration missions, but I don't remember where I read it.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 05:34:01 AM »
I have read somewhere that dust removal/cleaning is a major concern for longer duration missions, but I don't remember where I read it.
I recall reading something like that on Apollohoax about 24 minutes ago.

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »
My recollection is that they are concerned if inhaled regolith would be carcinogenic like asbestos. Also jagged regolith would damage equipment, especially air conditioning.

One idea to keep regolith out of base is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitport

Lurky

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
My recollection is that they are concerned if inhaled regolith would be carcinogenic like asbestos. Also jagged regolith would damage equipment, especially air conditioning.

One idea to keep regolith out of base is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitport

Lurky

Not nice to breath, but nothing like asbestos, which is fibrous.  It is also mostly a lot coarser.  More like volcanic ash.  Simple house keeping and good air filters will keep the problem a a manageable level.  The LM was not well provided on either front.