Author Topic: Double shadow effect in Apollo 11 photos  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Rob48

• Venus
Double shadow effect in Apollo 11 photos
« on: June 07, 2016, 06:22:05 PM »
I was just browsing some of the Apollo 11 pictures on the Project Apollo Archive on Flickr and noticed an odd effect in some of the photos taken from inside the LM shortly after the EVA. The shadow of the LM appears "doubled", with an inner dark shadow and an outer less dark one.

The effect is not symmetrical - for instance on AS11-37-5462 the inner shadow is displaced to the left of the centre of the outer one:

AS11-37-5462 by Project Apollo Archive, on Flickr

And on -5463 it is to the right:

AS11-37-5463 by Project Apollo Archive, on Flickr

Any ideas what causes this?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Double shadow effect in Apollo 11 photos
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:45:32 PM »
I would imagine it's a window reflection thing.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 12:21:25 AM »
I found a similar thing with Apollo 12 images, and never really got to the bottom of it.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 02:20:17 AM »
Probably reflections inside the double layers of glass in the window.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 03:04:27 AM »
Penumbra and umbra I would have thought. The Sun is not a point source of light and its rays are at f110. The shadow cast by the sun will have a slightly lighter area (the penumbra) and then an area of total obstruction of the light (the umbra).

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 04:44:55 AM »
Penumbra and umbra I would have thought. The Sun is not a point source of light and its rays are at f110. The shadow cast by the sun will have a slightly lighter area (the penumbra) and then an area of total obstruction of the light (the umbra).

I did wonder about this but I am doubtful for a couple of reasons. First of all it seems too sharply defined: even without the blurring effect of an atmosphere I can't imagine it would make such a sharp line. Secondly of it was a penumbra I would expect to see it in many more photos, not just these ones.

Actually a third: the relative positions of the "inner" and "outer" shadows seems to alter depending on the location within the frame.

I suppose it must be a window reflection effect but I can't figure out exactly how it happens.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 05:39:47 AM »
I think it's internal reflections in the window. Penumbra is the softening around the edges of the shadows.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 12:26:37 PM »
These 3 Apollo 14 ones are the most dramatic:
http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/AS14-65-9211HR.jpg
http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/AS14-65-9212HR.jpg
http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/AS14-65-9213HR.jpg

If you flick between 9212 and 9213 you can see they are shot from the same window with the camera tilt changing. The interesting bit is that the lighter area also changes, even though the shot was taken at the same time.

So, it isn't an external effect and is either a camera anomaly or a window anomaly. I'll leave that one to the experts to decide upon.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 01:56:38 PM »
Definitely multiple internal reflections in the window.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
Its this type of effect that drives the hoaxers into a frenzy, frothing at the mouth discovering the "holy grail" of multiple images.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 03:59:09 AM »
Its this type of effect that drives the hoaxers into a frenzy, frothing at the mouth discovering the "holy grail" of multiple images.
Without having any coherent way of explaining why hoax would explain it.