Author Topic: Eclipse 2024  (Read 721 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Eclipse 2024
« on: April 01, 2024, 02:18:15 PM »
Is anyone else as excited for the April 8 eclipse as I am? If the weather cooperates I'm going to try to livestream the view from my telescope on YouTube. I've never tried anything like that before, so if the weather doesn't doom it to fail, my inexperience will.  ;)

I have a Celestron NexStar 127SLT with a solar filter and a USB camera that replaces the eyepiece. I won't be viewing the eclipse through the telescope directly, even with the filter. I'm a total novice with the telescope, but this is too rare of an opportunity to miss.

I've also created a website that will provide links to as many YouTube livestreams as I can find in one place. Here's a sneak peek...

https://totaleclipse.live

Feel free to share any other livestreams that I'm missing. I'm sure there will be more and they just haven't been scheduled on YouTube yet.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Ranb

• Mars
Re: Eclipse 2024
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 02:37:53 PM »
I'm on my way to visit my daughter in TX.  Was planning on viewing the eclipse, but the forecast is for cloudy weather.  I will not be driving to search for clear skies that day.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 02:48:47 PM »
I'm on my way to visit my daughter in TX.  Was planning on viewing the eclipse, but the forecast is for cloudy weather.  I will not be driving to search for clear skies that day.

It looks like I'll probably be getting rain that day... but I'm hoping for a miracle. I would have expected clear skies in Texas, so I hope you get them too.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 09:40:14 PM »
If you listen to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe, that might be the infamous 'Bob Effect'.

Offline PDI

• Mercury
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 12:51:13 PM »
I am looking forward to the eclipse, especially since the path is only a 3 hours drive. However, the predictions are not good (Cleveland, 65% cloud cover). Still, the reason we chose Cleveland is because of the "Lake Erie bubble" which can produce clear skies near the lake even though it is cloudy inland. (Beyond that, I do not know the science behind it and whether it will help with the type of clouds predicted.)

Good luck to everyone else that is attempting to see it.

John

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 04:02:21 PM »
I am looking forward to the eclipse, especially since the path is only a 3 hours drive. However, the predictions are not good (Cleveland, 65% cloud cover). Still, the reason we chose Cleveland is because of the "Lake Erie bubble" which can produce clear skies near the lake even though it is cloudy inland. (Beyond that, I do not know the science behind it and whether it will help with the type of clouds predicted.)

Good luck to everyone else that is attempting to see it.

John

The weather forecast has improved slightly here in Hamilton, Ontario. It was predicting rain... now it says it will be partly cloudy. I'm hoping it continues to improve.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 07:22:13 AM »
I had hoped to travel to Texas (I'm a member of the Planetary Society, and they're having a big do at a location there), or at least Niagara Falls, ON (specifically Niagara-on-the-Lake), but my wife is completely uninterested. Will have to make do with the partial here in Mississauga, or watch online. Forecast for Mississauga right now is a mix of sun and cloud.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 10:44:30 AM »
I'm headed to Texas with a Celestron 6SE plus sun filter. No photography, though, just observation. I have a pair of eclipse glasses for which this will be their 4th eclipse.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 07:37:52 AM »
I had hoped to travel to Texas (I'm a member of the Planetary Society, and they're having a big do at a location there), or at least Niagara Falls, ON (specifically Niagara-on-the-Lake), but my wife is completely uninterested. Will have to make do with the partial here in Mississauga, or watch online. Forecast for Mississauga right now is a mix of sun and cloud.
We got a last-minute hotel stay in Niagara Falls (Canada) on Monday night, and _not_ for the 4x they're charging (for Sunday night?). So we are now planning to go early Monday, watch the eclipse, and then stay overnight. I am really looking forward to this, seeing an eclipse has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 11:44:21 AM »
I decided to plug my telescope in to test it and discovered that it isn't slewing left or right, just up and down. I should be able to work with that, but it's annoying because I've probably only used it half a dozen times since I bought it. It has spent most of it's life on a shelf in my storage room.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 12:04:28 PM »
Traveled to Texas to join an event hosted by alma mater’s space physics department.  Currently the weather is pretty bad and looks pretty bad tomorrow.  We’ll see.  Would be content with a hazy view through breaks in the thicker stuff.  The upside is that the location has real bathrooms.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 05:16:51 PM »
Well, the clouds cleared enough to see the eclipse here, but my telescope skills failed me.

I did manage to get one decent image with my DSLR, though.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 05:22:30 PM by LunarOrbit »

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 06:10:30 PM »
Traveled to Texas to join an event hosted by alma mater’s space physics department.  Currently the weather is pretty bad and looks pretty bad tomorrow.  We’ll see.  Would be content with a hazy view through breaks in the thicker stuff.  The upside is that the location has real bathrooms.

Always the mark of civilisation. It's nice to know the USA is occasionally up to that mark.  ;)
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 08:29:44 PM »
How was it in Texas? I want to see if 'The Curse of Bob' still holds.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 10:18:08 AM »
Saw it in Niagara Falls, ON. Overcast, but it did peek through from time to time. Did not see the corona, but did catch a glimpse of the "diamond ring" just at the end of totality. Totality was something else, it was _nighttime_.

My brother (who lives in Germany) says I should travel to Spain for the 2026 one there :-)