Author Topic: Who's Who in the Apollo Hoax World  (Read 10636 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Who's Who in the Apollo Hoax World
« on: August 04, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
WikiSpooks
https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Moon_landings_conspiracy_theories

The page gives good listings of the more prominent people for and against the hoax, but unfortunately the names are ordered by title and first name instead of last name.

Page down to the three lists:
1 NASA defenders
2 Major Moon sceptics
3 Other Moon sceptics

Some familiar names are there - Braeunig, Plait, Windley etc. and Kaysing, Percy, Sibrel etc. plus plenty of names I haven't heard of before.

I came across the WikiSpooks page while trying to find why the link to Thomas Bohn's marvellous website "Apollo Anomalies... And How I Made Them" doesn't work.

Bohn's first words on the cover page of his website deserve recording:
I read Dark Moon. I studied its "photo anomalies." And after I stopped laughing, I duplicated them with a digital camera and some well-known natural laws that apply on earth and the moon. And I did it with no photographic training or awards. My conclusion: The Apollo images were taken on the moon without benefit of clumsy props or hidden light towers. My second conclusion: Some of those Apollo deniers need to learn more about photography.

Unfortunately he recently posted the following on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/summa/moonshot/

This site has ceased to exist for the following excellent reasons:
1 I have a stressful job.
2 I have an impatient girlfriend.
3 I have a bucket list that is not getting any emptier.

So long. It was fun. Now I have to get back to work. My stressful work.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:25:02 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Who's Who in the Apollo Hoax World
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:07:17 AM »
Oh, that's cute--the claim that support for hoax belief grows.  I think they're implying that more and more people are HBs, which we also know to be untrue.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »
Oh, that's cute--the claim that support for hoax belief grows.  I think they're implying that more and more people are HBs, which we also know to be untrue.

Figures never lie, but liars always figure.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 02:57:59 PM »
While the Apollo Anomolies site has been taken down from its original host the Wayback Machine still has it if you want to access anything for reference http://web.archive.org/web/20130314053413/http://www3.telus.net/summa/moonshot/index.htm
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »
I looked at the site in the OP.

A plethora of footnotes does not necessarily indicate the writer has a clue.  That is amply demonstrated in this case.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:41:24 AM »
I looked at the site in the OP.

A plethora of footnotes does not necessarily indicate the writer has a clue.  That is amply demonstrated in this case.

True.  There are statements there "for the hoax" that are nothing but debunked, made-up nonsense from the likes of Sibrel, Kaysing etc., but compared with some websites there is at least a token attempt at getting a balance.

However, the point of the OP was the rather good list of names on both sides which seemed worth pointing out.

While the Apollo Anomolies site has been taken down from its original host the Wayback Machine still has it if you want to access anything for reference http://web.archive.org/web/20130314053413/http://www3.telus.net/summa/moonshot/index.htm

Many thanks, Grashtel, I wondered if it was preserved somewhere. It was possibly the Wayback Machine that saved old threads from an earlier incarnation of ApolloHoax that appeared to have vanished somewhere in cyberspace.

I originally looked for the website because of Bohn's marvellous examples of local horizons vs stage sets which might be useful to timbo in his thread.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:07:41 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 06:00:16 AM »
Wow. Even I rated a mention on the list.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »
To be honest, I am a bit miffed that I didn't rate a mention. The work that I did, showing that all the Jack White claims on Aulis were wrong, was extensive.

Offline HeadLikeARock

• Venus
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
To be honest, I am a bit miffed that I didn't rate a mention. The work that I did, showing that all the Jack White claims on Aulis were wrong, was extensive.

I only recognise about half a dozen of the names on that list, and only 2 or 3 that have been actively defending the Apollo programme online. In my opinion, many of the people on this site and others have done a tremendous job of refuting the claims made by conspiracy theorists over the past, what, 15 years? A thankless task for the most part, I'm still awaiting my letter of commendation and long service award from NASA, let alone any form of recompense! Which as we all know is not why we do it. As the late, great MID would have said, we do it to educate and inform. We can't allow the lying buggers to win, the legacy of Apollo is too important.

You did a very thorough job of dismantling Jack White's claims. I kind of miss Jack and his "face-palm" studies. If I didn't know better, I'd say he was a NASA stooge, planted to make sensible hoax theorists like Percy look bad. Hang on a minute...  ???

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 11:16:21 AM »
I'm glad I'm not on the list. I have enough costs with my lawyer keeping an eye on the antics of that dutch fellow, I don't need to attract more of them.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 02:22:16 PM »
I'm glad I'm not on the list. I have enough costs with my lawyer keeping an eye on the antics of that dutch fellow, I don't need to attract more of them.
Don't you worry, that dutch crackpot is still active and claiming cities on Mars.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
Don't you worry, that dutch crackpot is still active and claiming cities on Mars.
Surface cities or under ground ones?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DonQuixote

• Venus
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:56:38 AM »
Hi everyone!

As evinced from my post count, brand new poster here! Thank you much for the info, Kiwi. Your contributions to the The Smoking Gun thread in the archives were a huge help to me in figuring out the portions of the video being referenced.

You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can not make him think.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 02:46:16 AM »
Wow. Even I rated a mention on the list.

Do you feel that your life is now complete?  ;)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
WikiSpooks
https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Moon_landings_conspiracy_theories

The page gives good listings of the more prominent people for and against the hoax, but unfortunately the names are ordered by title and first name instead of last name.

Page down to the three lists:
1 NASA defenders
2 Major Moon sceptics
3 Other Moon sceptics

[/quote]

I see that page repeats the claims that the Apollo missions are taught as fake in Cuba.  I seem to recall this claim refuted somewhere, the old Bad Astronomy discussion?