Author Topic: Challenger disaster 30 years ago  (Read 15367 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Challenger disaster 30 years ago
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2016, 03:49:28 PM »
Absolutely.  But hoax belief is dying out, meaning that the younger generation is actually less likely to believe it than their elders.  So you can't blame believing BS on youth.
I'm not as sure about that as you are.

What part?
The dying out part.  On this board the activity seems to be less but on YT it is still active.  In fact hunchback recently posted two videos and there are others.

He's been at it for 6 years and doesn't even have a 1000 subs yet. The more well known Jarrah White has been at it for 8 years and has about 6500 subs. The young lady with the Vintage Space channel has over 40,000 subs after only 3 years. Then there was the Moon Hoax Not video that blew away all of both Hunchbacked and Jarrahs combined videos when it came to viewer count in a pretty short time frame. It doesn't seem to me like the moon landing hoax theory is gaining any meaningful ground.
Perhaps not gaining, but not dying either.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
Absolutely.  But hoax belief is dying out, meaning that the younger generation is actually less likely to believe it than their elders.  So you can't blame believing BS on youth.

What part?
The dying out part.  On this board the activity seems to be less but on YT it is still active.  In fact hunchback recently posted two videos and there are others.

He's been at it for 6 years and doesn't even have a 1000 subs yet. The more well known Jarrah White has been at it for 8 years and has about 6500 subs. The young lady with the Vintage Space channel has over 40,000 subs after only 3 years. Then there was the Moon Hoax Not video that blew away all of both Hunchbacked and Jarrahs combined videos when it came to viewer count in a pretty short time frame. It doesn't seem to me like the moon landing hoax theory is gaining any meaningful ground.

Is that that Amy Shira Tietal (spelling?) channel? I like her, she keeps her videos short and to the point, and her enthusiasm for the subject is infectious. Nice to see someone her age doing something useful with history rather than trying to tear it down.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 04:15:22 PM »

What part?

Perhaps not gaining, but not dying either.

True but I think it's an insignificant percentage of people. There's always going to be a small group that feels the need to go against the popular or widely held fact based histories of every country. For all the effort Jarrah, Hunchbacked and others have put into their videos, the gain has been pretty negligible. Now that Jarrah has pissed off a lot of his fan base for showing enthusiastic support for SpaceX, I think his impact is going to be even less effective then before.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »

What part?

Is that that Amy Shira Tietal (spelling?) channel? I like her, she keeps her videos short and to the point, and her enthusiasm for the subject is infectious. Nice to see someone her age doing something useful with history rather than trying to tear it down.

Yes, that's her. I got her book recently and have found it pretty informative. Of course it wouldn't take much seeing as the only other early rocket history book I ever read was about Robert Goddard and that was probably 40 years ago.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 05:27:11 PM »
I've read entire books about conspiracism that don't even mention the subject.  I checked the index both times.  Nothing.  I've encountered one or two HBs in the wild, but nowhere near as many people as "have questions" about 9/11 or don't believe in the Lone Gunman.  It just doesn't have traction.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 07:22:23 PM »

She is great... I am one of the 40,000 subs/fans

She writes for a number of news and science publications, including Universe Today, Discovery News Space and the Guardian. She was an "embedded journalist" in the New Horizons mission to Pluto, and has written a book called called "Breaking the Chains of Gravity: The Story of Spaceflight before NASA"

The only thing I find is that she sometimes speaks too fast and has a somewhat annoying "twang" in her voice (New Yorker perhaps?). However, its just a small criticism. It difficult to fault her knowledge, and you cannot fault her enthusiasm. Also, she has a skill that is distinctly lacking in your average HB; the ability to research her subject thoroughly.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 11:35:07 PM »
....Then there was the Moon Hoax Not video that blew away all of both Hunchbacked and Jarrahs combined videos when it came to viewer count in a pretty short time frame. It doesn't seem to me like the moon landing hoax theory is gaining any meaningful ground.

Point well made

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2016, 11:39:11 PM »

True but I think it's an insignificant percentage of people. There's always going to be a small group that feels the need to go against the popular or widely held fact based histories of every country. For all the effort Jarrah, Hunchbacked and others have put into their videos, the gain has been pretty negligible. Now that Jarrah has pissed off a lot of his fan base for showing enthusiastic support for SpaceX, I think his impact is going to be even less effective then before.

LOL was JW ever effective?  They may not be in great numbers but make up with bravado.
I have watched several of Amy's videos and they are good. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2016, 11:18:13 AM »

LOL was JW ever effective?  They may not be in great numbers but make up with bravado.

Your right. I'm probably overestimating his overall impact. Most of the fans he's attracted are of the kind of mentality that refuse to believe rockets can work in a vacuum. A big part of the reason there seems to be quite the backlash for his SpaceX video.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »

Your right. I'm probably overestimating his overall impact. Most of the fans he's attracted are of the kind of mentality that refuse to believe rockets can work in a vacuum. A big part of the reason there seems to be quite the backlash for his SpaceX video.
I haven't watched any of his videos since I watched the Apollo 1 series.  I was disgusted but only posted taking comments out of context (one of his favorite procedures), he immediately posted back denying and linking a book that alleged NASA/CIA collaboration especially with John Glenn's orbital mission.  He demanded an apology and retraction, neither of which he got.
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2016, 09:38:08 PM »

I hadn't checked on Jarrah's site for a few months. I see he hasn't posted any videos about the 2 successful Falcon 9 drone ship landings. Seeing how exicited he was with the first Falcon 9 landing, it looks like the backlash from those very upset fans has left a lasting impression with him. lol

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2016, 07:02:18 AM »
Like the vast majority of HB, he is incredibly thin-skinned and cannot take any criticism of his beliefs
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2016, 08:18:55 AM »
Like the vast majority of HB, he is incredibly thin-skinned and cannot take any criticism of his beliefs
Yes, my interaction with him showed the thin-skinned nature when his research, or lack thereof, leads to mis- interpreting results.  When called out, he immediately jumps to defend his proposition with name calling and/or shifting the argument.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2016, 12:03:59 AM »

This is where you need a "LIKE!!!!!" button on this forum.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2016, 07:32:29 AM »

This is where you need a "LIKE!!!!!" button on this forum.

Quit hiding your feelings, how do you really feel about the thread? :)
Eugene Cernan