Off Topic > General Discussion

Richard Branson

<< < (3/12) > >>

Obviousman:

--- Quote from: Zakalwe on July 13, 2021, 04:25:47 AM ---More power to him... shrouds don't have pockets and he's got to find a way of spending all those millions...

--- End quote ---

I like that. I'll have to try and use that phrase some time!

Obviousman:

--- Quote from: Zakalwe on July 13, 2021, 04:25:47 AM ---However, getting to space in a sub-orbital hop as a passenger doesn't make you an astronaut anymore than flying in an airline makes you a pilot.

--- End quote ---

Reminds me of when I was debating with a Twoofer on the Loose Change forums, such a long time ago. They were arguing that an aircraft could not do certain things, and they were blatently wrong. When I called them out on this, stating my qualifications as an air trafic controller, aircraft navigator and pilot, having worked in aviation most of my life, they counted with their over 10,000 flying hours. And yes, when pushed, it was 10,000 hours riding as a passanger in an airliner!

nikolai:

--- Quote from: molesworth on July 12, 2021, 06:35:28 AM ---It was an impressive flight, and interesting technology, but I think it's fundamentally a dead end as far as spaceflight goes, and will never be more than a "tourist attraction".  (Not that there's anything wrong with encouraging tourism.)

Even with the announced future developments of the idea, they're not going to be able to reach orbit or launch payloads into LEO.  They might allow for an occasional science experiment in low or brief zero G, but that would need to be very well planned as it's such a brief opportunity per flight.

Overall, it's a fun idea, and as soon as I make my first million I'll think about buying a ticket  ;)

--- End quote ---

I'm getting that the kinetic energy in an orbit at 100km altitude (which is a pretty low orbit) is more than 30 times as much as the energy needed to lift one up 100km.

I have ignored the initial kinetic energy you have if you use the earth's rotation, but that's not all that much.  Also, the kinetic energy requirement for the orbit is an underestimate, because you have to lift a lot more fuel up high.

So I think this is a whole different sport than going into orbit.  It's a bit like riding a horse versus driving a Ferrari.  But as someone else said, there are potential applications for suborbital, like fast air (or over the air) transport.  Or ICBMs; maybe those can be privatised too.

molesworth:

--- Quote from: nikolai on July 14, 2021, 09:51:26 AM ---...  Or ICBMs; maybe those can be privatised too.

--- End quote ---

Well, if that's an option, I guess it's time to make a start on that secret island volcano super-villain base I've been planning ;D

Obviousman:
There will have to be a change to the definitions for the award of astronaut wings, most likely to do with some professional qualifications and crew duties whilst aboard. The pilots would qualify but the SLF* would not.

SLF - Self Loading Freight

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version