Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 864539 times)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1230 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »
A fact I also pointed out on the old board. Feathers are anhydrous keratin scaffolds. They can't even dehydrate at 200 degrees!

I also find it odd that he would think feathers should spontaneously combust in seconds at temperatures significantly lower than those used to cook most foods....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1231 on: February 13, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »
A fact I also pointed out on the old board. Feathers are anhydrous keratin scaffolds. They can't even dehydrate at 200 degrees!

I also find it odd that he would think feathers should spontaneously combust in seconds at temperatures significantly lower than those used to cook most foods....

I can testify from personal experience that a person can tolerate a 200o environment with no special protection, at least for relatively brief periods.

In my youth I worked in a textile factory where part of the weekly routine was cleaning the huge dryers we used. Each one was a steel box about 50m long, perhaps 4m wide and high; upholstery went through it on sort of a conveyor belt arrangement. They normally operated at about 370o F; once a week they were shut down for cleaning and once they were cooled down to 200o, the younger employees went inside to clean the "flock" (accumulated lint) off the filters. Obviously you didn't want to overexert yourself, and you were careful not to touch any metal surfaces with a bare hand, but otherwise it was quite tolerable for the 15-20 minutes you were inside at a time. 

OSHA probably requires more stringent safety procedures these days, but 40 years ago no one thought anything of it.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #1232 on: February 13, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »
Saunas often have temperatures in the 200° F range.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #1233 on: February 13, 2013, 11:44:45 AM »
Saunas often have temperatures in the 200° F range.

And in a humid environment where condensation delivers heat to cooler surfaces faster than conduction alone would.

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #1234 on: February 13, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
And in a humid environment where condensation delivers heat to cooler surfaces faster than conduction alone would.

Possibly counter-intuitive*; I could imagine an HB claiming "the water cools you down, duh".

(* in the usual "HB doesn't understand much physics but still can judge whether various space systems would work" way.)

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #1235 on: February 13, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
Possibly counter-intuitive*; I could imagine an HB claiming "the water cools you down, duh".

Fortunately (for those of us who haven't been involved directly) there has been quite a bit of information accumulated about steam burns.

You can wave your fingers through a candle flame with no harm, only a slight feeling of warmth. Coffee makers, tea kettles, rice cookers, etc can produce jets or plumes of steam that are much worse burn hazards than open flames, despite their lower temperature.

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #1236 on: February 13, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »
What an awesome kitchen this guy has with his own vacuum oven......wait what recipe calls for that?
The way some people seem to think heat transfer occurs instantly in a vacuum, I've often tinkered with the idea of suggesting that one patent and manufacture such a device.  Think of it, cooking a 20lb turkey, in no time flat!
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1237 on: February 13, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
I've also seen those who claim, with all apparent seriousness, that heat can't transfer out in a vacuum. :o They never seemed to be able to answer the question how it gets colder at night then.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1238 on: February 13, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »
Or how it gets warm in the daytime, especially when standing in sunlight.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1239 on: February 13, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
That too. Seriously, the whole thing was flabbergastingly insane.

Offline armillary

• Mercury
« Reply #1240 on: February 13, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »
I recently sterilized a bunch of goose quills in my oven. They seemed to have no trouble staying in there for about 45 minutes, at 100-120o C. (Hey, I believe in being thorough)

Seriously, it's an experiment so easy to perform that it's blatantly obvious the HBers are looking for ammunition rather than truth.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #1241 on: February 13, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
... suddenly you slow down to 100 m/s (at say 5 000 m altitude) and deploy a parachute and land. In a desert in Kazakstan. Where nobody lives. In the middle of nowhere!

Out of many of the things wrong with Heiwa's statement, this one makes me laugh. Where would he LIKE the capsule to land? In Red Square? On top of buildings, and tourists?

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #1242 on: February 13, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »

You see, that's why no one ever bothers to pluck poultry before roasting. The feathers will all spontaneously combust anyway, so why worry about removing them?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1243 on: February 13, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Heck, it's even lower than the boiling point of water, for Pete's sake!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1244 on: February 13, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »
And let's not forget that neither a pot of boiling water nor a hot oven is remotely analogous to the thermal conditions on the Moon.

The stupid, it (almost) burns!
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams