Author Topic: Hunchback's major (mis)understanding of Apollo TV tech.  (Read 53877 times)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: Hunchback's major (mis)understanding of Apollo TV tech.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »
Il est français, je pense.

His name is Xavier Pascal. He claims to have graduated from a French university and I've seen posts he's written in French.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 07:20:28 AM »
Yes, he's French.

He's angry at me again. He sends me PMs accusing me of lying and deceiving his other readers. I responded by pointing out that I've frequently recommended that readers verify my information in any of the standard textbooks. No comment, of course. He must think the conspiracy extends to Halliday & Resnick (authors of a classic high school/college physics textbook), among others.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »
The mindset of a conspiracy theorist is in itself a lifelong discipline.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »
Me:
I asked you a simple question about how you view things. And that was insulting? Your stance on the Apollo moon landings are insulting thousands of people, namely those who worked on the project, who work professionally in science, engineering, photography and a lot of other related fields. You call them all liars and frauds - you are clearly in the minority. Nobody who's had relevant education agrees with you.

Hunchbacked:
Oh really?

It was not a simple question at all, it outright was an insult; talking about "malady" about my way of seeing things is not questioning at all, it is definitively insulting.

It has been a long time that I have understood that the Apollo shills were disgusting hypocrites.

You complain that we end up in insulting you, but it is after you on your side have repetitively insulted us under a disguised "civility".

In the intro of this video, the author uses "idiotic"; isn't this insulting?

Me:
In this context, "idiotic" is not insulting, it is factual.

And blocking your critics will only cause you to stand all alone along with all the other crackpots so you can congratulate each other.

Hunchbacked:
of course, it is factual because we really are idiots, but if we say the same thing to you, it will be an insult because you are intelligent people, right?

Me:
correct.

Did I cross a line? My original comment was deleted - but it was pretty close to "Regarding your lack of understanding of perspective - do you have vision problems, perhaps blind on one eye or another malady?"
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »
This is the person who claimed I could not have polish nationality because I was Australian, or that I didn't work at the TV company I do because I'm not competent in TV operations in way form whatsoever. The guy's screws are most definitely loose.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:25:04 AM by dwight »
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
It's not just perspective - this is the guy, remember, who insisted that this shadow:

was a void; i.e., the ball was far too small for the socket.  IMO, there's definitely something out of whack there, either with his vision or visual comprehension.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
Did I cross a line? My original comment was deleted - but it was pretty close to "Regarding your lack of understanding of perspective - do you have vision problems, perhaps blind on one eye or another malady?"

I don't think blindness in one eye would make perspective more difficult to understand...working binocular vision actually seems more likely to lead to confusion, since you've got two separate views of any given scene.

I'm pretty sure the deficit is cognitive, not physical. He's unbelievably bad at any sort of spatial or geometric reasoning, particularly with interpreting 2D representations of 3D scenes.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
Hunchback's major (mis)understanding of everything.
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »
I wonder whether he is just delusional? I mean seriously, what sort of bloke is going to suggest the Apollo 11 zero-g demonstration by Aldrin was underwater? That is off with the fairies and he calls himself an engineer?

[Excessive stupidity alert] [/Excessive stupidity alert]

Offline Drewid

• Venus
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »

I don't think blindness in one eye would make perspective more difficult to understand...working binocular vision actually seems more likely to lead to confusion, since you've got two separate views of any given scene.

I'm pretty sure the deficit is cognitive, not physical. He's unbelievably bad at any sort of spatial or geometric reasoning, particularly with interpreting 2D representations of 3D scenes.

I see in 2D (as does something like 6% of the population), and I still understand perspective just fine. In fact I have to understand perspective and general 3Dness as part of my job, and it was only after I'd been working for some 15 years that I discovered that I don't see in stereo.

He's definitely got something cognitive going on.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Hunchback's major (mis)understanding of everything.
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »
I wonder whether he is just delusional? I mean seriously, what sort of bloke is going to suggest the Apollo 11 zero-g demonstration by Aldrin was underwater? That is off with the fairies and he calls himself an engineer?
Yes, until that video I actually held out some hope for Hunchie. But then I realized he suffers from full-blown delusions, and he could never be reached with any amount of logic or reason.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 08:43:43 AM »
Did I cross a line?
You let yourself get sidetracked.  As long as the discussion is about manners and other subjective topics, he gets the attention he craves and can paint his opponents as whatever he needs them to be in order to support his position.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »
Yes, I would have to agree with that. As much fun as a biting barb in a battle of wits can be, one should never fight an unarmed man. It's not really what the battle is about anyway. Anyone can insult, some can insult well, but only the truth is the truth.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »

His name is Xavier Pascal.

That's an appropriate name for the secret identity of a superhero's nemesis.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »

His name is Xavier Pascal.

That's an appropriate name for the secret identity of a superhero's nemesis.
I don't know. The only comic book character I can think off hand with the name Xavier is a good guy, though Xavier is the last name.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Re: Hunchback's major (mis)understanding of everything.
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
Yes, until that video I actually held out some hope for Hunchie. But then I realized he suffers from full-blown delusions, and he could never be reached with any amount of logic or reason.

I noticed somebody new to his videos sticking up for him 1-2 weeks ago. That is until somebody pointed out the Nautilus video to him. I don't think he's been back since. If he really believes what he's saying in that and the follow up video, then I would agree he's beyond help.