Author Topic: Johnson Space Center in-house newspaper  (Read 12956 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Johnson Space Center in-house newspaper
« on: June 08, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
Once again hoaxers (hi Adrian and bewaremouse) prompt a search for information and a new source emerges. For info, it is a claim that somehow Apollo suits and other equipment were never tested in vacuum or at altitude.

What I found was 'Roundup', the in house newspaper for JSC employees. In amongst the news about golf tournaments, driving safely and who has retired/joined/died there are lots of valuable nuggets of information about the progress of the Apollo program, functions of various departments and so on that don't tend to make it into mainstream media.

I've been through the years 67-73 and picked out articles that are of interest for one reason or another - hopefully the article titles are a clue to the content:

http://onebigmonkey.comoj.com/obm/roundup.html

There's a link to one of the search pages at the top, and the dates should help you find the relevant pdf.

Shame the scans aren't of better quality, as some of the photos would be very interesting :)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: Johnson Space Center in-house newspaper
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:28:34 AM »
Yes, I discovered the excellent Roundup newspapers a few years ago the same way you did - Googled a subject and got a link to one of them. Was astounded at the information they have and that I'd never heard of them before.

But now I have 391 of them from 1961 to 1976 saved on my hard drive. It's good to just browse them when at a loose end. Some of the people become much more than just a name, and we can learn about people and things we know little about or haven't even heard of.

They're no doubt another excellent source that HBs can mine for information about Lunar Orbiter, Ranger, Surveyor, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo that will "prove" the moonlandings were faked.  ::)

How would they explain away the article of 26 February 1971, "Over 40 million see moon rocks, visit space agency facilities"?

On the page in your link a stray "r" has found its way into Glynn Lunney's surname. "Lunnery."

Roundup
Vol. 10 No. 8 – February 26, 1971, page 2
Over 40 million see moon rocks, visit space agency facilities
   Over forty-one million people in the United States and abroad lined up in 1970 to look at samples of rocks brought back from the Moon by the crews of Apollo 11 and 12. Another two million visited NASA facilities in the United States.
   At EXPO '70 in Osaka, Japan, almost 14 million persons viewed a lunar rock sample which was one of the world fair's major exhibits.
   In the Unites States, the rock samples were shown at some 128 events covering all 50 states with a total attendance of 12 million. Thirty-seven states had an opportunity to display a sample as part of a 50-state tour of the Apollo 11 command module and a lunar sample. The tour is due to end in May with Hawaii and Alaska the last two stops.
   Outside the U.S., samples were shown to almost 30 million people in 110 countries.
   During 1970, about three million visitors were attracted to NASA centers across the country. The largest numbers of people visited Kennedy Space Center and MSC, each of which was host to well over a million guests.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:49:06 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »
I spotted a few typos as soon as I'd posted here - I'll check for that one later.

I like any kind of contemporary media like this, mainly as an instant retort to "it was all secret", even down to such basic things as where to buy Apollo photos.

Newspapers may not have been detailing every little development, but the canteen staff at JSC knew all about it thanks to this.

What it made me realise was just how much was going on at any one time - as one Saturn was being rolled out to the pad, another was being built and another was going through testing. Skylab and the prototype  shuttle all in development while Apollo was active, all the various procedures and facilities for pre- and post-mission stuff being worked out - it must have been a hive of activity.

I particularly liked the story about the boiler plate CM being sunk by gunfire - somewhere off Hawaii there is a brilliant wreck to dive to!

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
Once again hoaxers (hi Adrian and bewaremouse) prompt a search for information and a new source emerges. For info, it is a claim that somehow Apollo suits and other equipment were never tested in vacuum or at altitude.

Yeah, there's some nut on youtube  demanding a vacuum chamber demo of the suit because he finds it hard to believe the ice sublimation system works the way it's described. Since NASA hasn't accommodated him, he's decided that all the eva's from Apollo onward are fake. Of course when somebody gave him a link showing video of a test, he dismissed it as hogwash. Probably where Adrian got his info from.

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
My memory on this is foggy, but didn't someone come very close to dying while testing a suit in a vaccuum chamber?

Offline Philthy

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:57:17 PM »
My memory on this is foggy, but didn't someone come very close to dying while testing a suit in a vaccuum chamber?

Found it, my "Google-Fu" isn't all that great.

http://www.universetoday.com/66061/early-nasa-vacuum-chamber-test-gone-wrong/\\

Phil
The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid. -- Smartcooky

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 02:15:30 AM »
Yeah, that was what I thought. I recall that the tech who saved him actually entered the chamber a liitle too early and risked his own safety to get him out. I can't remember where I saw it/read it...

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 09:28:53 AM »
Yeah, that was what I thought. I recall that the tech who saved him actually entered the chamber a liitle too early and risked his own safety to get him out. I can't remember where I saw it/read it...

Probably in the tv-series "Moon Machines - The spacesuit". The incident is shown there.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
This edition mentions the commendations two employees received over that incident:

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/roundups/issues/67-01-06.pdf

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 02:25:26 PM »

Probably in the tv-series "Moon Machines - The spacesuit". The incident is shown there.

Actually, I think you are right.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »
It's on youtube - the test person was Jim LeBlanc - at around 33.50 in the video.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »
Btw, thanks for pointing out this series.  Watched it the other day and enjoyed it.  A little lightweight, but good. 

One error that I spotted: they said that the SPS used hydrogen and oxygen instead of hypergolics.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 10:55:06 PM »
Btw, thanks for pointing out this series.  Watched it the other day and enjoyed it.  A little lightweight, but good. 

One error that I spotted: they said that the SPS used hydrogen and oxygen instead of hypergolics.

Which part was that? The one about the Command Module?

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
Just had a quick eyeball, great reference material..
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 09:06:18 AM »

Which part was that? The one about the Command Module?

Yes.