Author Topic: Beagle 2  (Read 4123 times)

Offline darren r

• Earth
Beagle 2
« on: January 16, 2015, 05:23:34 AM »
According to the Guardian newspaper this morning, the UK space agency has confirmed that Beagle 2 did land on Mars. No details yet, but they'll be making an announcement later. What a shame Colin Pillinger isn't still around.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Beagle 2
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:46:57 AM »
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »
According to the Guardian newspaper this morning, the UK space agency has confirmed that Beagle 2 did land on Mars. No details yet, but they'll be making an announcement later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30784886

What a shame Colin Pillinger isn't still around.

My thoughts exactlly when I read the news. I felt so sorry for Colin after the event, seeing his work 'fail' in the glare of the press and some of the finger pointing and mockery he faced aftewards. Landing on Mars ain't  like dusting crops.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:52:27 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:24:28 AM »
My reaction was exactly the same: such a shame he couldn't have seen this.

If the interpretation of the photographs is correct it came agonisingly close to success. You have to wonder what would have happened had the antenna not been under all those petals - a tiny design change might have been all it needed.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:12:24 AM »
You have to wonder what would have happened had the antenna not been under all those petals - a tiny design change might have been all it needed.

Presumably there were good reasons for that.  It is also ironic that the whole lander deployment was probably the most exhaustively tested aspect of EDL.