Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 864654 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1560 on: May 30, 2013, 03:03:24 AM »
:(  First "fragilised", now "embiggened".  I am flummoxicated.

I can't help with "fragilized," but here's the origin of "embiggen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_the_Iconoclast

I see.  I was not aware of the cromulence of "cromulent".  (Or is it cromulentarity?)  My most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Okay, who left the thesaurus lying around...?  :)

Having said that, people at the last place I worked came up with an impressive range of alternatives for the adjective of 'investigate': investigative (which I think is the correct word), but also investigational, investigatory and even investigationary.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1561 on: May 30, 2013, 03:38:59 AM »
Not a thesaurus, Peter - Blackadder.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #1562 on: May 30, 2013, 04:46:50 AM »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1563 on: May 30, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
I see.  I was not aware of the cromulence of "cromulent".  (Or is it cromulentarity?)  My most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

I do actually argue for the cromulence of "cromulent."  It's a fake word, of course, and meant to sell a specific joke, but it serves a valuable function in the language so far as I'm concerned, and that's all it counts to make it a "real" word.  As for the others, well, my understanding is that Dr. Johnson was obnoxious in real life, and disconcerting his fictional counterpart is fine with me.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1564 on: May 30, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
If your descent rate is slower, your window is higher.

Lower surely? Slower descent rate means you can be lower but still safely abort?

Er, yeah.  ;D
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1565 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »
Ah, I see you had a cunning plan...
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1566 on: May 30, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
Ah, I see you had a cunning plan...

Marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation!
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1567 on: May 30, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »
I do actually argue for the cromulence of "cromulent."  It's a fake word, of course, and meant to sell a specific joke, but it serves a valuable function in the language so far as I'm concerned, and that's all it counts to make it a "real" word.

I agree.  People who use the language make the language.  Lexicographers are just around to record what happens, not to prescribe usage.  Its antecedent "embiggen" pokes fun at the mechanism by which English contrives new words with prefixes and suffixes, often at the expense of a more suitable existing word.  As such it shares a bench with the baroque "antidisestablishmentarianism," also perfectly cromulent.  Start with a faux root, add an anglicized Latin adjective suffix, give it a context from which its meaning can be inferred, and you have the makings of a new adjective.  Since it has an agreed-upon meaning -- "ironically our counterintuitively valid" -- it thus fits a niche.  This is how the language grows, intentionally or otherwise.  It is as valid as any other word.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1568 on: May 30, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
Every time you write "embiggen" I get a Monty Python flashback.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #1569 on: May 30, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »

Lower surely? Slower descent rate means you can be lower but still safely abort?
That's what I was thinking too.

But since I said it first, I get the T-shirt. :p

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1570 on: May 30, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »

That's what I was thinking too.

But since I said it first, I get the T-shirt. :p

It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1571 on: May 30, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »
I agree.  People who use the language make the language.  Lexicographers are just around to record what happens, not to prescribe usage.  Its antecedent "embiggen" pokes fun at the mechanism by which English contrives new words with prefixes and suffixes, often at the expense of a more suitable existing word.  As such it shares a bench with the baroque "antidisestablishmentarianism," also perfectly cromulent.  Start with a faux root, add an anglicized Latin adjective suffix, give it a context from which its meaning can be inferred, and you have the makings of a new adjective.  Since it has an agreed-upon meaning -- "ironically our counterintuitively valid" -- it thus fits a niche.  This is how the language grows, intentionally or otherwise.  It is as valid as any other word.

I confess that I'm a prescriptionist by nature.  However, I would posit that more Americans, at least, recognize "cromulent" than many other words of longer standing.  Heh--just as an example, a lot of people know that "antidisestablishmentarianism" is a word, but how many of them actually know what it means?  So leaving aside that we all understood in context what "cromulent" meant in its first appearance--Mrs. Krabapple's throwaway usage is probably the funniest part--enough people understand it out of context that even prescriptionists must accept its validity.  And there is enough difference between, for example, "cromulent" and "valid" that it serves its purpose as no other word can, and I'm always supportive of words that increase precision.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1572 on: May 30, 2013, 01:15:20 PM »

I confess that I'm a prescriptionist by nature.  However, I would posit that more Americans, at least, recognize "cromulent" than many other words of longer standing.  Heh--just as an example, a lot of people know that "antidisestablishmentarianism" is a word, but how many of them actually know what it means?  So leaving aside that we all understood in context what "cromulent" meant in its first appearance--Mrs. Krabapple's throwaway usage is probably the funniest part--enough people understand it out of context that even prescriptionists must accept its validity.  And there is enough difference between, for example, "cromulent" and "valid" that it serves its purpose as no other word can, and I'm always supportive of words that increase precision.

It was Miss Hoover, not Mrs Krabapple.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #1573 on: May 30, 2013, 01:57:19 PM »

It was Miss Hoover, not Mrs Krabapple.

Yeah, really. Geez, everybody knows that.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1574 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »

Er, yeah.  ;D
If it's any consolation Jay, I understood "higher" to mean "larger", and when Glom said "lower", I read it as "smaller", which had me scratching my head how he could think that...until it kicked in to my thick skull that he was understandably reading it as meaning altitude. ;D
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir