Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 864017 times)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #930 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
It makes me think of the glass floor in the CN Tower... I know they say it's strong enough to support 4 elephants (or something like that), but I still have a mini heart attack when some kid jumps up and down on it beside me.

"Fourteen large hippos".  I'm not sure how they quantify "large" though!

http://www.cntower.ca/en-CA/Plan-Your-Visit/Attractions/Glass-Floor.html

I'll pass. Canadians aren't known for making sturdy glass structures: snopes.com: Window Test Death

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #931 on: January 07, 2013, 11:56:12 PM »
From the description, I would say it wasn't the glass that gave way but whatever was used to bind it to the frame. That being said, when Mythbusters tested this myth, they found that the glass could shatter frighteningly unexpectedly.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #932 on: January 07, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »
I've always wondered what would have happened if the Shuttle had been operational in time to visit Skylab? Not much of a change, I know, but still a wonderment worthwhile asking.

Interesting reading that discusses advantages & disadvantages (mostly compatibility issues).
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #933 on: January 08, 2013, 01:19:57 AM »
I realize that this work was being done years after Apollo, but how - to reference a claim you seem to hear a lot - can a person with enough intelligence to scratch when they itch think it would be that difficult to design boots that would stand up to a hot lunar surface?
What the heck does he thinks firefighters wear?  Open-toes sandals?   My turnout boots would have no problem with such temperatures - and the Apollo crews left before the surface got that hot.
Nor did mine, back when I used them. Although they weren't expected to stand up to hours of exposure. But it's almost as if HBs have this mindset that the engineers who spent literally years working on these problems either never thought of them, or didn't know how to solve them.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #934 on: January 08, 2013, 03:05:42 AM »
It makes me think of the glass floor in the CN Tower... I know they say it's strong enough to support 4 elephants (or something like that), but I still have a mini heart attack when some kid jumps up and down on it beside me.

"Fourteen large hippos".  I'm not sure how they quantify "large" though!

http://www.cntower.ca/en-CA/Plan-Your-Visit/Attractions/Glass-Floor.html

I'll pass. Canadians aren't known for making sturdy glass structures: snopes.com: Window Test Death

From the description, I would say it wasn't the glass that gave way but whatever was used to bind it to the frame.

Raven is right.  The glass didn't break in that case, it popped out of the frame.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #935 on: January 08, 2013, 03:15:05 AM »
The allegations was the Canadians can't make glass structures. I would say binding glasses panes to supports falls under the remit of making glass structures so the criticism stands on that basis.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #936 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:50 AM »
The allegations was the Canadians can't make glass structures. I would say binding glasses panes to supports falls under the remit of making glass structures so the criticism stands on that basis.

*shrug*  I wouldn't rely on just a single example though.  Besides, I doubt the glaziers expected anyone to launch themselves at that window (twice)!
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #937 on: January 08, 2013, 03:42:49 AM »
This calls for rigorous scientific testing.
First, we line-up a bunch of HBs in front of 24th-story windows...
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #938 on: January 08, 2013, 04:12:58 AM »
I suspect Heiwa is going be unimpressed by our going off-topic when he gets back.

So, how 'bout that local sports team?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #939 on: January 08, 2013, 05:07:44 AM »
So, how 'bout that local sports team?

They will only break your heart in the end.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #940 on: January 08, 2013, 05:38:31 AM »
Interesting reading that discusses advantages & disadvantages (mostly compatibility issues).
Interesting indeed! Thank you for sharing.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #941 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:03 PM »
It makes me think of the glass floor in the CN Tower... I know they say it's strong enough to support 4 elephants (or something like that)...

14 large hippos, which makes me wonder how they got the hippos up there in the elevator.

While I was looking for that other video I also found another one from the late 1970s that shows people practicing the application of the tiles on an old DC-3.

The question now is whether they tested the DC-3's re-entry characteristics.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #942 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »
I suspect Heiwa is going be unimpressed by our going off-topic when he gets back.

I'm fully confident he'll try to moderate us back into shape upon his return.  After all, that's easier than answering questions, or being a rocket scientist.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline peter eldergill

• Venus
« Reply #943 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »

14 large hippos, which makes me wonder how they got the hippos up there in the elevator.

It's a big elevator :)

Pete

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #944 on: January 08, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »

It's a big elevator :)

It was only a matter of time until the obesity epidemic hit Canada.

Now on to the next step of our plan.