Author Topic: Michael Light's book, "Full Moon"  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Michael Light's book, "Full Moon"
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:58:16 AM »
...I wouldn't normally bother to post all this, except that yesterday, Tony came back and brought in a book for me to look at. Its called "Full Moon"  by photographer and artist Michael Light. I found it quite stunning.

Full Moon is a beautiful book and you can get it 2nd hand pretty cheaply - make sure you get the full sized version.

I heard many favourable comments about "Full Moon" at the 2003 incarnation of ApolloHoax and/or at the Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board, and eventually bought a copy of the smaller version in 2005. Was impressed by the great selection of photos that I hadn't seen, but being a black-and-white printer and purist, was dismayed at the poor technical quality of the black and white photos.

Anyway, Smartcooky, what's your opinion of the fogging that must have been in the prints that Michael Light used? I think there were copies of some of the fogged prints on the internet in the early 2000s too.

It's black fogging into the grays, and highly noticeable when compared with the same photos at the ALSJ, so must have been caused in the darkroom when prints were made from the negatives.

It might have been caused by a printer who smoked in the darkroom, therefore fogging the lens with tar. In the mid-70s I knew some darkroom folk who did that. I smoked too back then, but not in the darkroom. However one guy told me it was "safe" to smoke when printing (meaning the light didn't affect prints), so I briefly did a test with a cigarette to see if the light would fog black and white printing paper, and no, a brightly glowing cigarette was a mini safelight.

Also in my early darkroom days, the diaphragm of one of my enlarging lenses squeaked, and in my ignorance I oiled it lightly, so, until I discovered the cause, had untold grief from similarly fogged prints to those in "Full Moon."  The heat of the enlarger lamp caused the oil to very lightly fog an element (single lens) inside the lens.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:01:04 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Re: Michael Light's book, "Full Moon"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 06:26:01 AM »
Page numbers?

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: Michael Light's book, "Full Moon"
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 07:30:51 AM »
Page numbers?

Sorry, Oldfartitis and Life got in the way.

There are plenty -- I started a big list with explanations and links but wasn't able to finish it.  Will do when more able.

But one to start with is page 81, which is AS17-141-21607 --
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-141-21607HR.jpg

See how the shadow of the colour patches on the gnomon have ballooned out to a long, skinny oval, and there is a dark "glow" around the shadow of the upper rod. Neither of those appear in the above link.

I read again Michael Light's comments at the back of the book, and it sounds as if he actually scanned the original films, instead of copying black-and-white prints. Comparing his versions with the originals that are now at the ALSJ and other websites, it's obvious he has performed a lot of manipulation on some for artistic effect, and I wonder if he did it using prints, or entirely digitally.  If the latter, it scrubs my original thoughts about fogged prints, and indicates that maybe the digital manipulation produced the "fog." Could the obvious sharpening have done that?

I may not be able to get back here for a while, but certainly hope to soon.

[Edited to add, I was going to end the last sentence at "hope to", but thought Gillianren and others might cringe, 'cos if my memory isn't yet completely stuffed, I think there's a rule against such calamities.  :)]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:00:27 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)