Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Quiz!

<< < (2/21) > >>

gwiz:

--- Quote from: Rob260259 on March 12, 2012, 11:50:18 AM ---Here's another one:
One of the FIDO flight controllers 'invented' the nickname "Captain REFSMMAT". What was his name? And what was the name of the 'enemy' of the Captain?

--- End quote ---
Google makes this too easy.  All your answers in one link:
http://airspeedonline.blogspot.com/2006/05/steely-eyed-missile-man-capt-refsmmat.html

Echnaton:

--- Quote from: Chew on March 12, 2012, 12:11:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Echnaton on March 02, 2012, 02:41:10 PM ---I've always wondered why Stafford didn't get a moon landing mission?

--- End quote ---

I thought he was offered one but turned it down so he could concentrate on ASTP.

--- End quote ---

As unfathomable as turning down a all expenses paid trip to the moon is to me, Cernan also turned down an assignment as LMP, telling Slayton he would only go as mission commander.  The gamble paid off for him giving him the greatest time on the surface among all astronauts and becoming the last man on the moon.

Rob260259:

--- Quote from: gwiz on March 12, 2012, 12:45:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rob260259 on March 12, 2012, 11:50:18 AM ---Here's another one:
One of the FIDO flight controllers 'invented' the nickname "Captain REFSMMAT". What was his name? And what was the name of the 'enemy' of the Captain?

--- End quote ---
Google makes this too easy.  All your answers in one link:
http://airspeedonline.blogspot.com/2006/05/steely-eyed-missile-man-capt-refsmmat.html

--- End quote ---

You're right. I wonder what is not being answered by any of the search engines...

Glom:

--- Quote from: Echnaton on March 12, 2012, 01:53:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Chew on March 12, 2012, 12:11:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Echnaton on March 02, 2012, 02:41:10 PM ---I've always wondered why Stafford didn't get a moon landing mission?

--- End quote ---

I thought he was offered one but turned it down so he could concentrate on ASTP.

--- End quote ---

As unfathomable as turning down a all expenses paid trip to the moon is to me, Cernan also turned down an assignment as LMP, telling Slayton he would only go as mission commander.  The gamble paid off for him giving him the greatest time on the surface among all astronauts and becoming the last man on the moon.

--- End quote ---

But he did crash his helicopter into a lake, which taught him a little humility.

ka9q:
Didn't that helicopter incident come close to getting him yanked from Apollo 17? I think McDivitt was especially keen on doing that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version