Author Topic: Our friend Hunchbacked is back  (Read 19549 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Our friend Hunchbacked is back
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »
It was expressly otherwise, and easy to find in the literature.  The LM ascended straight up for 10 seconds to avoid local terrain, then began a programmed sequence of increasing pitch-forward maneuvers.
It also performed a yaw maneuver during the vertical ascent phase to place the +Z axis in the desired orbital plane.

The main purpose of the vertical rise is to get some upward velocity to clear terrain before heading downrange. Pitchover is a rather abrupt brutal 52 degrees. In His words

If the LM doesn't start level, this isn't corrected until about 2 seconds after liftoff. This is most visible in the Apollo 15 ascent; you can clearly see the ascent stage initially moving to the left as it rises.

Is that description in the mission report?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
Just in case it's causing any confusion, note that the LM axes were named differently than those of the CSM or Saturn V because the crew stood looking perpendicular to the thrust axis rather than along it as in those other two vehicles. In each case the longitudinal axis containing the main thrust vector was the X axis, but while rotation around it in the CSM and Saturn V was "roll", in the LM it was "yaw". What the Saturn/CSM called "yaw" was "roll" in the LM, and pitch was the same in both.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2015, 08:37:43 PM »
No. "Brutal" is one of hunchbacked's favorite (and most amusing) words. Right up there with "incoherence" as a noun (plural: incoherences).

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2015, 08:43:43 PM »
No. "Brutal" is one of hunchbacked's favorite (and most amusing) words. Right up there with "incoherence" as a noun (plural: incoherences).
Ok so I don't spend an inordinate amount of time searching, where is it?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2015, 10:13:59 PM »
You mean in the mission report?

There's also the Apollo Experience Report "Mission Planning for Lunar Module Descent and Ascent" by Floyd V Bennett.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2015, 10:19:22 PM »
You mean in the mission report?

There's also the Apollo Experience Report "Mission Planning for Lunar Module Descent and Ascent" by Floyd V Bennett.
That is what I meant, I have the mission reports downloaded, but haven't memorized them. :)
Eugene Cernan