Author Topic: Godwin's law and the moon hoax  (Read 34688 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Godwin's law and the moon hoax
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
I agree there. Jarrah has done the same detestable thing many times, but two wrongs don't make a right, even if three lefts do.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
How does Vincent claim a NASA photo as his? I didn't think he was even American. Don't YouTube check such things?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 03:01:19 AM »
How does Vincent claim a NASA photo as his? I didn't think he was even American. Don't YouTube check such things?

I confident Vincent is American. When he first arrived on the scene as a hoax theorist, he made it quite public that he wanted to join the USMC. I assume that one has to be a US citizen to join the USMC. I'm not sure if bilateral agreements exist between Canada and the US though, so I might be wrong.

As an aside, he might be Canadian for all I know. While some American accents are obvious American accents, and I am confident a person is of American origin from their accent, I cannot firmly say that a person is Canadian based on their accent. Forgive me, I'm from the UK. :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:25 AM »
Some Canadian accents are quite distinctive. They sound like someone from Bristol trying to do a bad American accent.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »
From what I understand, evidently not.  They seem to respond to such claims before (if ever) checking into whether they are legitimate or not.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 02:12:01 PM »
From what I understand, evidently not.  They seem to respond to such claims before (if ever) checking into whether they are legitimate or not.

That's a recipe for major trollage. I mean technically Jarrah has been defamed in this case. He could legitimately sue.

Somehow, Vincent has made Jarrah White a legitimate plaintiff. That is stunning ineptitude.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »

That's a recipe for major trollage. I mean technically Jarrah has been defamed in this case. He could legitimately sue.

Somehow, Vincent has made Jarrah White a legitimate plaintiff. That is stunning ineptitude.
I think the legal waters would quickly get muddy, once all the he-said/he-said got started.  Vincent is responding (in a grossly juvenile way) to JW getting his account terminated with DMCA claims, which Jarrah sprays around like birdshot.

Of course, Vincent did promptly vow - ON VIDEO - to file "all sorts of fraudulent terms of service and DMCAs", so he pretty well shot himself in the foot as far as any legal actions go.  Golly gee, Vincent, ever hear of the First Rule of Fight Club?

I know less than nothing about how a legal battle between two individuals literally on opposite sides of the Earth would work, but it seems as if it would be a hellishly expensive undertaking, especially to sue a kid (Vincent) who probably doesn't own much more than the clothes on his back.

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance in this case, but does one actually have to be the owner of a copyright in order to complain about a breach? In legal terms, anyone can report a crime;

If I see a person breaking into my neighbour's house,  I can report it to the police
If I see a person in possession of something that I know was stolen from someone else, I can report that to the police

Why could I not simply establish who was the copyright holder of a particular photo or video on youtube, and complain to them that the user was not the copyright holder, and did not have permission to use the said photo or video?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance in this case, but does one actually have to be the owner of a copyright in order to complain about a breach? In legal terms, anyone can report a crime;

I think Jay has posted on this subject before, but I can't remember the thread. I'm sure this debate came up over Jarrah versus Mark Gray.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 12:02:57 AM »
Sounds like Vincent is God's way of balancing Jarrah then.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 03:05:20 AM »
Sounds like Vincent is God's way of balancing Jarrah then.

Note to self: Do not read Glom's replies while eating breakfast. Makes a mess of laptop.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 04:33:54 AM »
The Nazi connection is an old one that anti-NASA/anti-Apollo/whatevers go on about.  Didn't Patrick Moore get quite agitated when defending Von Braun?
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »
Didn't Patrick Moore get quite agitated when defending Von Braun?

Patrick Moore's fiancee died in a German air raid so I imagine that was very difficult for him.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »

If I see a person breaking into my neighbour's house,  I can report it to the police
If I see a person in possession of something that I know was stolen from someone else, I can report that to the police

Yes and no.  DMCA is different than witnessing a crime.  For one, copyright violation generally is a civil matter and it is my understanding that some specific interest in the infringed material is required to legitimately make a take down request.  OTOH, Google is acting to legally protect itself from a broad based claim of ignoring copyright infringement that could have site wide repercussions for YouTube.  They take a shoot first and ask questions later approach to take downs.  It is a mess that leaves us all at potential risk for legal costs for things we do that were perfectly OK before the DMCA. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »
Didn't Patrick Moore get quite agitated when defending Von Braun?

Patrick Moore's fiancee died in a German air raid so I imagine that was very difficult for him.

His deep hatred of Germany and it's people is fairly well known.
Whilst Sir Patrick Moore was deeply respected for his contribution to astronomy and to the spreading of science to the general public I personally found many of his views and political leanings to be distasteful (putting it mildly) and reeked of a bitter, narrow-minded man unable to move on with his life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1411100/Sir-Patrick-attacked-over-racist-comments.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore#Activism_and_political_beliefs

As this blog puts it "It's OK to admire the work, but not the worker"
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov