Author Topic: Proof Apollo was hoaxed redux  (Read 28998 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Proof Apollo was hoaxed redux
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
I was thinking the same thing when looking at the suits, it never occurred to me to ask why they should be light tan. Maybe it was Soviet fashion at the time ;)
Maybe the USSR wanted to claim Soviet cosmonauts entered space in the buff. Coloured suits that is. But seriously, if anyone knows this, and why Soyuz capsules were green, I'd be most interested to know.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
Perhaps the tan/beige/buff/off-white/ivory colour is because its the natural colour of the fabric, and they don't think its worth the time and expense of bleaching it white.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
Maybe the USSR wanted to claim Soviet cosmonauts entered space in the buff. Coloured suits that is. But seriously, if anyone knows this, and why Soyuz capsules were green, I'd be most interested to know.

At least people are consistent.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2014, 08:27:04 PM »
At least people are consistent.
Heh, yeah. I found my old thread when I tried googling to see if I could get an answer after asking here. Even made the same 'lightly toasted marshmallow' comparison, wow, two years ago. Still no definitive answer though.

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2014, 05:38:55 AM »
Perhaps the tan/beige/buff/off-white/ivory colour is because its the natural colour of the fabric, and they don't think its worth the time and expense of bleaching it white.

I think that this is the case also for the EMUs - they are not deliberately bleached or painted, it's just the original color of the material (Teflon?).

This is a short PDF document listing the layers of the EMU and the Orlan:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/513053main_V1-eva_suit_layers.pdf

This is an Orlan manual in English:
http://www.colorado.edu/ASEN/asen3036/Orlan.pdf

Both list the outermost layer of the Orlan as made of "phenylon" or "phenilon", which is a latinization of "фенилон". Which, according to the Great Soviet Encyclopedia, is the Russian name for the same stuff as used in Nomex.

P.S. I remember trying to find out about the green color too. But I don't remember what I found. :)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
Either way, thank you kindly. :)
The EMU top covering is beta cloth, I believe, which is teflon coated woven glass fibre.