Author Topic: Apollo/Gemini as Sci-Fi?  (Read 7117 times)

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
Apollo/Gemini as Sci-Fi?
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:42:12 AM »
OK, so among the Star Trek and Star Wars (etc) models in the Sci-Fi section of a local sales website, are Apollo and Gemini models...

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Revell-1100-Apollo-Lunar-Module-Starter-Set-Model-Kit/20366796/

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Revell-124-Gemini-Space-Module/20366801/

I've complained via their feedback several times, and am wanting to escalate. It just bugs me.

I note on one of their pages a button that says something like "To view more space models...". So perhaps they treat "Sci-Fi" as a synonym for "Space", ignoring the "Fiction" part.

Am I over-reacting? Are they right?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: Apollo/Gemini as Sci-Fi?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »
I used to work for a video store that put Apollo 13 in sci-fi instead of drama. I made it clear that I wasn't happy with that.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:33:43 AM »
Most model shops mix the Real Space and Sci-Fi sections together. I don't mind. I'm interested in both, and it makes them easier to find.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »
Merchandising is about finding the mix of products and labeling that connect with the customer.  Like AtomicDog said, there is a significant overlap among people who are interested in real space and scifi.  I also suspect that it is even more important among the typical shoppers for these kinds of models, mostly young people who were born well after the Apollo missions.  The scifi category is a place that they are likely to stumble upon them.  I noticed that the site also lists the LM and CSM models in the "other" category.   But keep gently badgering them and maybe they will set up a real space category. It can't hurt. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »
Merchandising is about finding the mix of products and labeling that connect with the customer.  Like AtomicDog said, there is a significant overlap among people who are interested in real space and sci-fi.

Unfortunately, the same is true in Barnes and Nobel bookstores...."woo" books (like hancock's "fingerprints of the gods") are found in the astronomy/space/science section.

...I always take the time to move any I find to the "new age" section....It must drive their employees crazy having to always reshelf the same book over and over again. :D

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
I bet you drive the new agers also crazy too.  The must hate finding that "scientifically" oriented stupidity among their "magically" oriented stupidity.  But who knows, maybe there is more overlap between ancient astronauts and magic crystal powers than one might suppose.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Thanks.

Some good perspectives.

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
Woo hoo. I was going to post about this in the "what bugs me" thread on Cosmoquest so went to get a URL.

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/Hobbies/Model-Kits/Space-Sci-Fi-Fantasy/All/

... and I note they've changed the name of the section to "Space, Sci-Fi & Fantasy".

That makes me happy.

(Apart from the "Apollo 27" and "Mercury 9" in the Space section... that leaves me with more pointlessly angsty issues...)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:15:36 PM by pzkpfw »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
The mixing of sci-fi and fantasy should be irksome by similar logic.

I think we might be more sensitive given the company we entertain here. The shop probably didn't mean anything by it. They just put spaceships together.