Author Topic: Any JREF members here having trouble logging into their forum?  (Read 11123 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Any JREF members here having trouble logging into their forum?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
Its up and running. Same url as usual, and it loads much faster than it used to
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
I just got the fastest page load of a search in years.  Maybe it will slow down as traffic picks back up, but for now it is great.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 05:25:57 PM »
Maybe it will slow down as traffic picks back up....

The slowdown has happened.  I am getting outright refusals on searches with the message "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." 

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
Maybe it will slow down as traffic picks back up....

The slowdown has happened.  I am getting outright refusals on searches with the message "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."
That was probably related to the work the new tech team have been doing in preparation for the full changeover http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=10226916&postcount=93 .
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline ApolloGnomon

• Venus
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »
Notices
The server will be coming down at approximately 0000UTC Oct 5 (1800MDT Oct 4) for migration to the final server and domain name. The process should take a few hours but may take more. The new URL will be http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums.

Hopefully this will be a seamless transition. And hopefully I can remember which typographic variation of a theme password I used there.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 03:06:28 AM »
Seems to have worked fine

1. I logged in successfully with my usual user name and password. If you use Firefox, you can find your old password easily enough (Tools > Options > Security > Passwords > Show Passwords)

2. You cannot post or send a PM until you accept the new terms of service

3. Your private data have not been imported but you can choose to do so using their "private data import tool)

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ApolloGnomon

• Venus
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »
I've been posting exclusively from my phone for a year. My Firefox machine hasn't been booted for weeks. I use the same password formatted differently (pass_word, PassWord, Pass_Word) for different sites for this username. Meh, I'll have 5 tries before it lock me out. And I have wood to work.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »
A painless transition.  Just a few short paragraphs to view as long as you are willing to skip the EULA.  And a few links to click to get things back to normal. So what will the JREF do now to get people to its site?  for some time, my visits have come as an offshoot from being on the forum first.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 06:27:49 AM »
A painless transition.  Just a few short paragraphs to view as long as you are willing to skip the EULA.  And a few links to click to get things back to normal. So what will the JREF do now to get people to its site?  for some time, my visits have come as an offshoot from being on the forum first.
My only connection to JREF was their forum, and by that I mean I'd never have known who Mr. Randi is or about TAM (one of these years I want to make it) without the forum.

But then again, I'd have never known about the now-former-JREF forum unless I'd heard about it on this one (or it's direct predecessor).

It's all Lunar Orbit's fault (can't blame Lisa here).
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir