Author Topic: "Star" in an Apollo photo?  (Read 230 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
"Star" in an Apollo photo?
« on: May 18, 2024, 10:20:56 AM »
No, I don't think it is, but I'd be curious to hear what people think it is.

The photo in question is AS17-146-22293. Just to the right of the rock is a dot of light. In the hi-res version at ALSJ it appears to be two dots. (The dot is also visible in the LPI low-res image, so I assume it's not an ALSJ thing.)

However AS17-146-22294, which must have been taken only a few seconds later, doesn't show the dot.

Any thoughts?
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: "Star" in an Apollo photo?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 12:10:31 PM »
Well if you look at AS17-146-22294 there is no object, so I'm going out on a limb here: it is a film artifact.

ETA:  The second image appears taken from a slightly different perspective and this ay attribute to the object going behind the bolder possibly
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 12:48:15 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 12:13:01 AM »
Though not a star, Venus is captured in a couple photos, such as AS14-64-9191. Quite hard to see though.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 05:09:14 AM »
Search on "venus" on Gonetoplaid's images page:
https://www.mem-tek.com/apollo/ISD.html

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 02:47:57 PM »
Couldn't be the CSM passing overhead, could it?

Otherwise I'd go with an artifact in development or scanning (or damage to the film itself).  On the full-size scan I see a few more spots that look like that, just much smaller/fainter. 

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 03:57:36 AM »
No expert here, but the two images are taken from different vantage points, the second of which would seem to occlude the "object".

I'm more inclined to think that it is an artefact (cosmic ray strike?).
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov