Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 864583 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1545 on: May 29, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »
Speaking of which, I don't know whether you keep any kind of eye on him but Hunchbacked...

No, I don't follow him or YouTube hoax stuff in general.  That cesspool of ignorance makes me sad in my brain.  Hunchbacked had the opportunity to debate me here.  He screwed it up.  What he howls later from the shadows doesn't really interest me.

So how does it feel to be fragilized?

Itchy, and a little bit thirsty.

Do you get fries with that?   :o ::) ::)

Probably.  My staff howls with laughter when one of them runs across a new anti-Jay video but I haven't heard anything yet on this one.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1546 on: May 29, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
Is that what happens to the LM if the DPS fails?

Sure, why not.  Gotta love Hunchbacked's desperation.  "If a rocket engine fails in flight, the rocket falls down."  Yeah, that thought never occurred to me in my 25 years of aerospace engineering.  I'm glad he's around to tell me these things.  I'd be so fragilized without him.

After all these years, I'm still struggling with the finer points of English . . .

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #1547 on: May 29, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
Is that 60 meter abort limit correct? I would have thought they wouldn't have such an embiggened abort window.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1548 on: May 29, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
The window is based on the fastest nominal descent velocity.  The time required to safe the staging interface, jettison the descent stage, ignite the ascent stage, and have the APS achieve a positive vertical velocity translates to 60 meters of altitude even if some of that is mitigated by APS thrust in the final few meters.  If you're lower than 60 meters at a nominal descent rate, you'll hit bottom before all that has time to happen.

If your descent rate is slower, your window is higher.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #1549 on: May 29, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
Do you happen to recall what the nominal descent rate was at that altitude?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1550 on: May 29, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »
Do you happen to recall what the nominal descent rate was at that altitude?

I want to say around 5-10 m/s.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1551 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »
Is that 60 meter abort limit correct? I would have thought they wouldn't have such an embiggened abort window.
It was called the 'deadman's zone', and the flight controllers were very aware of it during the final stages of a landing.

I seem to remember 100 feet, but as Jay said it depends strongly on their descent rate. In some abort scenarios the DPS would be used to get some upward vertical velocity to buy time for staging, but obviously that won't work if there's a sudden DPS failiure.

The risk is not just that of the ascent stage hitting the surface. Dropping a descent stage with hypergolic propellants could reasonably be expected to create a fireball, and you don't want the ascent stage too close to it.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1552 on: May 29, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
This video shows that Clavius, in spite of his reputation, has many misconceptions, and a miscomprehension of Apollo technology. I show points that Clavius failed to see, and which fragilize his debunk of the moon hoax.
Just as it says in the Wikipedia article about cranks, a universal attribute is an inability to recognize the compence of actual experts.

It also says many compare themselves with Galileo. Does Hunchbacked leave any of the checkboxes empty?

Offline qt

• Venus
« Reply #1553 on: May 29, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »

:(  First "fragilised", now "embiggened".  I am flummoxicated.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1554 on: May 29, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
That's a strange way to spell "limited".
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1555 on: May 29, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »

I can't help with "fragilized," but here's the origin of "embiggen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_the_Iconoclast
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1556 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:49 AM »

Lower surely? Slower descent rate means you can be lower but still safely abort?

Offline qt

• Venus
« Reply #1557 on: May 30, 2013, 02:35:28 AM »

I see.  I was not aware of the cromulence of "cromulent".  (Or is it cromulentarity?)  My most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1558 on: May 30, 2013, 02:48:08 AM »

I see.  I was not aware of the cromulence of "cromulent".  (Or is it cromulentarity?)  My most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1559 on: May 30, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »

Lower surely? Slower descent rate means you can be lower but still safely abort?
That's what I was thinking too.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org