Author Topic: Strong arguments versus weak arguments.  (Read 209764 times)

Offline SolusLupus

• Earth
Re: Strong arguments versus weak arguments.
« Reply #270 on: June 19, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
Who was the better captain, Kirk or Picard?

False dichotomy.  Sisko.

Wait, you meant that for advanced.  Dangit.
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.” -- Kahlil Gibran

My blog about life, universe, and everything: http://solusl.blogspot.com/

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #271 on: June 19, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
You can ask one last question. Decide carefully, don`t make it go to waste. After that you will hear of me no more, as if I never existed. Never ever again.

I agree with Zakalwe.  Why are you afraid to learn?

Yeah, I'm with this one.  He has admitted that he isn't interested in learning.  It's just sad.  The fact is, people who really care about something want to learn more about it even if they think they already know more than the average person.  This is someone who explicitly doesn't want to learn more about space, despite ostensibly being interested in it.  Sad, sad, sad.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #272 on: June 19, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »
You can ask one last question. Decide carefully, don`t make it go to waste. After that you will hear of me no more, as if I never existed. Never ever again.

Translation: I can't play with the big boys so I'll pretend i can make them play by my rules. Fine. one question:

Is this an acceptable final question?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:34:13 PM by Jason Thompson »
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #273 on: June 19, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »
This is someone who explicitly doesn't want to learn more about space, despite ostensibly being interested in it.  Sad, sad, sad.

... and possibly wants to go and teach others with his knowledge and spread his devious art. So like so many theorists. How he clung to the idea that Kaysing was not a liar and fraud, as though Kaysing was a messiah. Amusing in some ways.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »

Here's the inevitable negotiation of special ground rules.  He's going to give us the privilege of choosing a question that he'll answer.

Guess what?  It's not our reputation and credibility that's at stake.  You've utterly failed to make any sort of valid point.  You've succeeded only in making an ignorant fool of yourself while throwing around a word salad composed of words you may have read in an aviation magazine.  I don't see how this puts you in a position to dictate rules for debate.  You can either engage in the debate you started or you can slink away in shame.  You don't get to set up one last hurrah so you can pretend to go out on a high note.

Sorry you didn't get to be an aerospace engineer.  But kindly find something you are good at and stop trying to tear down the legitimate accomplishments of others.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #275 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
You can ask one last question. Decide carefully, don`t make it go to waste.

Since the moon is made of cheese, it should have bubbled like Welsh rarebit under the heat of the LM engine but did not. Do you think this is greatest proof of the hoax?  :-*
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #276 on: June 19, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »
But the most important question must be: how much diazepam has been slipped into the flasks of the England team?

Offline stutefish

• Mercury
« Reply #277 on: June 19, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »
Bunch or fold?

Offline stutefish

• Mercury
« Reply #278 on: June 19, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
So I don't know if there's a pool on this, but my bet is actually on fattydash et al.

While the specific tropes invoked seem to be a selection of "greatest hits" from various HBs, aping another HB's style is pretty trivial to do, for anyone who's been lurking at the usual watering holes lately.

And fd seemed to have a particular enthusiasm for stylistic shenanigans.

And conceptual shenanigans as well; this thread opens with a bizarre and incoherent attempt at some sort of conceptual framework based on "strong" and "weak" arguments, which promptly went nowhere.

Then there's the frequent acknowledging of rebuttals, without ever addressing rebuttals.

And the constant, obviously contradictory and hypocritical positions (don't speak ill of others/speak ill of others).

And the classic fd trope, the thing is a hoax but the people involved were admirable heroes not hoaxers.

Etc.

I'll consider myself vindicated if ab's next appearance features appeals to his friends, family, chess club, chinese radar technician co-workers, or fellow bicycle enthusiasts.

I'll consider myself told if instead ab resorts to argument by links to SpursTalk.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
Rather presumptuous either way,  I shall answer only one question.... bit like an ultimatum at the ancient stone of Kringe in the castle off doom after the intrepid explorers have gone there through many perils to seek the answer to the overriding question in life, and the great sage limits them. Under the circumstance at the ancient stone of Kringe then I would expect n old sage to say such.

However, on a forum it sounds very, well, high and mighty.  As is this validates your point in anyway, first you have to show some........

Oh what the heck, would you get a perpetual motion machine if you taped some buttered toast to the back of a cat?

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #280 on: June 19, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »
You can ask one last question. Decide carefully, don`t make it go to waste.
OK.  You never answered any of my questions, but here goes:

What makes you think you are the first self-important child who thought he could bluff his way around this forum, only to become frustrated (because the other members actually knew what they were talking about), throw a temper tantrum, and stomp out?

After that you will hear of me no more, as if I never existed. Never ever again.

In terms of presenting a coherent or original argument, let alone attempting to learn anything, you were never here in the first place. 

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #281 on: June 19, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »
Whose question will you respond to?

I presume that we're all to gather in our Government Shills Office conference room, and choose one by secret ballot.

Tedward - I agree. I have visions of being blasted off the bridge by Tim the Enchanter if we pick the wrong one.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
This is someone who explicitly doesn't want to learn more about space, despite ostensibly being interested in it.  Sad, sad, sad.

... and possibly wants to go and teach others with his knowledge and spread his devious art. So like so many theorists. How he clung to the idea that Kaysing was not a liar and fraud, as though Kaysing was a messiah. Amusing in some ways.

That's the practical downside of the teaching approach.  The dedicated and unreachable hoax believers just use it as a factino-gathering mission so they can go to some other forum and impress everyone else on how well they researched the Apollo Project before determining it was all a hoax.

Of course that pose falls apart under any serious inquiry, but there are so many forums where they manage to get away with it.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
Of course that pose falls apart under any serious inquiry, but there are so many forums where they manage to get away with it.

... and at those forums he will tell stories of how he showed us all. After the IMBd debacle, one young hoax proponent slunk away, declared his victory and how he stuck it to Jay with a big dose of poisoning the well; producing some lame argument that Jay gave alternative accounts of how Aldrin 'agreed' to his interview with Sibrel. It was all about hiding his credibility, or lack of it, by drawing into question that of another.

Of course, our HBer conveniently ignored and skipped over the real substance of his exchange on radiation. Probably because he did not understand it and realised he should not show further ignorance. For some reason, it really irks me when such people behave in such a manner. How they think they can keep getting away with their actions is beyond me.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »

Is that a threat or a promise? 
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.