Author Topic: Strong arguments versus weak arguments.  (Read 209110 times)

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
Re: Strong arguments versus weak arguments.
« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2012, 04:02:58 AM »
Some years ago I was banned by him after some comments on his YT videos. Yes, the guy has invested a truly enormous amount of time and energy in this conspiracy position. Let alone all of his ego. The guy really committed himself publicly. Most likely he started several years ago with a naive belief and sincere doubts, based on ignorance and distrust (a political agenda?) that the NASA Apollo Moon missions were faked. And of course he studied a lot more about space travel, unfortunately visiting mainly hoax websites and reading conspiracy books, and just when he came deep into the specs and details of Apollo he must have had second thoughts. Also, many credentialed people have patiently explained many of his stupidities and errors, in great detail (some of us commented on his videos about radiation effects, his 'revelations' about Apollo photography, math and physics calculations, and the capabilities of the Apollo computer, and many more things). I think he feels it's too late now. There is no turning back for him.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:05:19 AM by Rob260259 »

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #346 on: June 24, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »
Also, many credentialed people have patiently explained many of his stupidities and errors, in great detail (some of us commented on his videos about radiation effects, his 'revelations' about Apollo photography, math and physics calculations, and the capabilities of the Apollo computer, and many more things).

This is the primary reason he irks me so; people who are qualified and experienced in the areas regarding the claims he makes have told him he is wrong, why he is wrong, and how he can prove to himself he is in error..... but he just chooses to ignore those who do actually know more than he does.

I simply cannot excuse such blatant wilful ignorance.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:34:24 AM by Obviousman »

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »
http://greylining.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/flounce-bingo.jpg?w=510

Heh. We need to play Moon hoaxer bingo with the next HB who comes to visit.
"No stars in the photos"
"Van Allen Belt radiation"
"Shadows aren't parallel"
"Computing power of the AGC"
"The gubmint always lies"
"If I ran the zoo" (or any appropriate Jay'ism)
"Wheat" e.g. the Russians were in on it in exchange for wheat
"Appeal to common sense"
"In my uninformed layperson's opinion..."
"Citing an unnamed source"
"I can't do the math but I can tell just by looking at it..."
"Compartmentalization"
The center square will be "I'm just asking questions". The center square is supposed to be a freebie but since HBs always start off with that it is in all practicality a freebie.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:35:14 AM by Chew »

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »
http://greylining.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/flounce-bingo.jpg?w=510

Heh. We need to play Moon hoaxer bingo with the next HB who comes to visit.
"No stars in the photos"
"Van Allen Belt radiation"
"Shadows aren't parallel"
"Computing power of the AGC"
"The gubmint always lies"
"If I ran the zoo" (or any appropriate Jay'ism)
"Wheat" e.g. the Russians were in on it in exchange for wheat
"Appeal to common sense"
"In my uninformed layperson's opinion..."
"Citing an unnamed source"
"I can't do the math but I can tell just by looking at it..."
"Compartmentalization"
The center square will be "I'm just asking questions". The center square is supposed to be a freebie but since HBs always start off with that it is in all practicality a freebie.

What's the prize if we win?
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #349 on: June 24, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »
You get to post "Bingo! We've heard the same lame arguments that were debunked decades ago so many times before we realized we could play bingo with them so we did. Here's my card:" <insert screencap of card.>

Or fame and glory.

Or a pair of sweatsocks.

Your choice.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »
I'm thinking about making a playing card for this. Do I make one card that everyone can use, or do the "lame arguments" have to be placed in different squares for each person so we don't all yell "BINGO!" at the same time? The first option is obviously a lot easier for me, but less fun.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
Yeah, the squares should be randomized, except the center square. But how do we use them? Make a screen cap then use Paint or Gimp to mark them off? Or a website we can bookmark and that lets us mark squares as we find them, i.e. it's interactive? Maybe use Google Docs spreadsheet?

Of course, being the sciency types we'll have to back-up our claims with links to the posts where the HB made the claim.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2012, 11:57:50 AM »
Most likely he started several years ago with a naive belief and sincere doubts, based on ignorance and distrust (a political agenda?) that the NASA Apollo Moon missions were faked.

And at some point, fell in with bad companions - Kaysing and Ralph. Somehow he seems to have latched on to Ralph Rene as a mentor. All hope may have been lost at that point.

==================================================

To the "Strong" and "Weak" arguments I should have added another category, my personal favorite: "Bewildering" arguments. Like this gem (paraphrased): In the diagram of the LM tether system, the tether would obviously pull the astronaut off-balance to the left. So how could they have possibly piloted the LM?

==================================================

If we need more Bingo items, so we can make up different cards, do we need more lame/hackneyed arguments? I'll contribute:

"Kubrick"
"Fake Dutch moon rock"
Any claim of engineering or physics credentials by someone who doesn't understand grade-school level science.

Cuz I really need a pair of those sweatsocks.

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:00:00 PM by Noldi400 »
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #353 on: June 24, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
"Kubrick"
"Fake Dutch moon rock"
Any claim of engineering or physics credentials by someone who doesn't understand grade-school level science.

Good ones! "Kubrick" Heh. That can be shorthand for anything from Dark Side of the Moon.

"Orbital mechanics fail"
"Thermodynamics fail"
"Newtonian law of motion fail"

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »
Dammit "Appeal to common" sense was one of mine.

"Appeal to Gubmint Infallibility/Omnipotence"
"Appeal to Gubmint Incompetence"

Note: These must go in the same line/column.

ETA:

"400,000 individuals were in on it."
"Compartmentalisation meant no-one but 6 at the top really knew about it."

These must also go on the same line or column.

Do diagonals count?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:04:50 PM by Abaddon »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #355 on: June 24, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »
Can we make "C-rock" the trump word? If it appears, it's house be default. Simply because it has to be the most absurd, ridiculous, crazed, bananas, utterly moronic theory every proposed. Others may include

Double film speed.
Astronauts on wires.
Front projection.
Waving flag.
Fall off.
Faked telemetry.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #356 on: June 24, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
I'm thinking about making a playing card for this. Do I make one card that everyone can use, or do the "lame arguments" have to be placed in different squares for each person so we don't all yell "BINGO!" at the same time? The first option is obviously a lot easier for me, but less fun.

I like the idea of producing randomised cards for everyone. It could be done with a spreadsheet.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
Can we make "C-rock" the trump word? If it appears, it's house be default. Simply because it has to be the most absurd, ridiculous, crazed, bananas, utterly moronic theory every proposed. Others may include

Sorry, no. We can't do that. Everyone would mark that square.

Then again, we would all be winners.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #358 on: June 24, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »
"No blast crater"
"Hassleblad film would get hot/cold"
"Lunar rocks returned by robot"

;) ;D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #359 on: June 24, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
Then again, we would all be winners.

That's the point. If anyone brought the C-rock argument to forum, it would be like the super word because it is the most
idiotic theory ever proposed. I have yet to see it presented here, but might be wrong. The stupid burns that much when the C-rock is mentioned it finishes the game by default, as I don't think I could take the thread seriously any more. Anyone that still believes the C-rock needs putting out of their misery.