Author Topic: Chariots for Apollo (Pellegrino & Stoff)  (Read 752 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Chariots for Apollo (Pellegrino & Stoff)
« on: February 20, 2024, 10:35:29 PM »
I am half way through this - what are other people's thoughts?

It's written without references and has some obvious sensationalised inaccuracies (Luna 1 was not a steel ball, Leonov did not nearly die during his EVA, and Thomas Gold was not a geologist). 

A few titbits that I have not seen elsewhere, some seem reasonable, some improbable.  Were astronauts really not interested in being involved with testing the LEM?  Did three three Apollo 1 "test conductors' (including the "test director") actually faint at their consoles when the fire happen?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 10:38:02 PM by Dalhousie »

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Chariots for Apollo (Pellegrino & Stoff)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 05:42:07 AM »
I believe Leonov did nearly die; after all, he had to depressurise his suit to a dangerous level to get back into the spacecraft.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 05:25:17 PM »
I believe Leonov did nearly die; after all, he had to depressurise his suit to a dangerous level to get back into the spacecraft.

He reduced the pressure from 40 kPa down to 273.5 kPa.  This is not a dangerous level, it is more that the Apollo EVA suit (25.5 kPa, and 50% more than the safe minimum for any suit in an emergency (e.g. 18.5 kPa used by by the Shuttle EES).

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 05:25:46 PM »

He reduced the pressure from 40 kPa down to 27 kPa.  This is not a dangerous level, it is more that the Apollo EVA suit (25.5 kPa), and 50% more than the safe minimum for any suit in an emergency (e.g. 18.5 kPa used by by the Shuttle EES).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 05:38:20 PM by Dalhousie »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 04:27:59 PM »
I was under the impression that the Soviets used a nitrogen-oxygen mixture for their cosmonauts after the O2 accident that burned one of their cosmonauts.  But I could be mistaken in that impression.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 12:17:40 PM »
https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/how-two-cold-war-spacewalks-came-common-technological-solution
According to this source, it was pure oxygen, at least in his suit. The capsule was another matter.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 12:20:16 PM by raven »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 08:33:49 PM »
https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/how-two-cold-war-spacewalks-came-common-technological-solution
According to this source, it was pure oxygen, at least in his suit. The capsule was another matter.
From the description it would seem that the capsule had air, changed to oxygen for the EVA.  It didn't mention whether or not the air was brought back into the capsule or not, but as it described the suit was filled with oxygen.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 04:31:40 PM »
The stuff about Leonov was primarily an irritant though also a red flag.  I am more interested in their accuracy or otherwise about his Apollo comments.