Author Topic: Photos from Apollo 11 film footage  (Read 153073 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Photos from Apollo 11 film footage
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »
An astronaut moves past the flag with his elbow extended out to his side, and as soon as the astronaut moves past the flag, the flag is seen to move in a fashion consistent with being bumped by the astronaut's elbow.  That looks like evidence to me.

I would agree with this assertion if you could prove this by pointing out where the flag is deformed by the impact of the elbow.

The replies provided were labeled as speculation of a plausible but uncertain cause for an even whose cause cannot be accurately determined.  Your request to be shown a specific impact is unreasonable and your disagreement with a speculative answer implies that this particular cause of the motion is not even plausible.   Quit trying hiding your conspiracy thinking behind equivocations, it's not fooling anyone.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
profmunkin,

Since we can rule out air currents as the cause of the flag’s motion, being that the prolonged rocking of the flag and the behavior of the dust is evidence of a vacuum, what explanations can you suggest for the movement of the flag?

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
profmunkin,

Since we can rule out air currents as the cause of the flag’s motion, being that the prolonged rocking of the flag and the behavior of the dust is evidence of a vacuum, what explanations can you suggest for the movement of the flag?

Either astronaut coming in contact with the flag or air movement as a result of astronaut moving past the flag.
What other choices are there?

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
profmunkin, I assume that you are positing that the filming was done in a non-vacuum situation, am I correct? If so, how do you account for other things behaving in a way clearly not compatible with an atmosphere, such as dust particles?

They can't have air around the flag, and nowhere else.

I am not proposing anything, I was asking for an explanation as to why the flag moves, apparently as a result of an astronaut moving past.

You have been given a number of possible explanations, such as static electricity or jarring of the flag. All of which seem more likely than "It was a hoax!!!1!"

As Bob B. says, we can rule out air movements, because nothing else shows movements indicating air, even things like the dust which should show it if an atmosphere is present. Air that will blow a flag will make dust billow.

I propose it was the movement of underground Moon Worms. You seem to have ruled out everything else.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
Either astronaut coming in contact with the flag or air movement as a result of astronaut moving past the flag.

The air that would make the flag move would also dampen its motion and stop it from swaying back and forth.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

What other choices are there?

At least a couple others have been suggested.

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »
profmunkin, I assume that you are positing that the filming was done in a non-vacuum situation, am I correct? If so, how do you account for other things behaving in a way clearly not compatible with an atmosphere, such as dust particles?

They can't have air around the flag, and nowhere else.

I am not proposing anything, I was asking for an explanation as to why the flag moves, apparently as a result of an astronaut moving past.

You have been given a number of possible explanations, such as static electricity or jarring of the flag. All of which seem more likely than "It was a hoax!!!1!"

As Bob B. says, we can rule out air movements, because nothing else shows movements indicating air, even things like the dust which should show it if an atmosphere is present. Air that will blow a flag will make dust billow.

I propose it was the movement of underground Moon Worms. You seem to have ruled out everything else.

Ok - Moon Worms.
It is obvious that there is no explanation for the movement of the flag, believe what you want.
Can we just call this an unexplained mystery?

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
It is obvious that there is no explanation for the movement of the flag

Since the flag did indeed move, then obviously there is a not very obvious explanation.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

No! It is not mysterious.  Merely something prosaic that could have multiple plausible causes, none of which can be ruled out. 

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

No! It is not mysterious.  Merely something prosaic that could have multiple plausible causes, none of which can be ruled out.

OK if it's not a mystery, exactly which one was it?
You can't even be positive that this is not an unknown phenomenon that happens in a vacuum, with strong radiation from the sun, with synthetic materials.

Mystery def "One that is not fully understood"

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »
It is obvious that there is no explanation for the movement of the flag

Since the flag did indeed move, then obviously there is a not very obvious explanation.

Yes Exactly
You are a voice of reason

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »

You can't even be positive that this is not an unknown phenomenon that happens in a vacuum, with strong radiation from the sun, with synthetic materials.

Lets not get into the meanings of mystery.  But what the movement of the flag is not, is an event need have anything other than prosaic causes.   There is a difference between not being able to give a 100% guaranteed answer and a mystery.

You can't even be positive that this is not an unknown phenomenon

Please.  You make this kind of statement at the same time you complain in another thread of mistreatment while just asking simple questions.  There are no simple questions with you, everything is wrapped up within the belief that some unknown phenomenon is really the cause and then you deflect the prosaic when it is laid out right in front of you.

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
Please.  You make this kind of statement at the same time you complain in another thread of mistreatment while just asking simple questions.  There are no simple questions with you, everything is wrapped up within the belief that some unknown phenomenon is really the cause and then you deflect the prosaic when it is laid out right in front of you.

Its Hyperbole

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »

Where is my other black glove? There are several plausible explanations as to why it disappeared, but not enough evidence to fix one specific one.

Therefore, we must conclude we cannot be positive that the Moon Worms didn't teleport it to the Sea of Tranquility.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2012, 02:02:46 AM »
So what exactly is your point here? A number of explanations have been postulated which would work. The other one that is hoax compatible has been rejected because other evidence contradicts it.

So what are you saying?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2012, 04:04:47 AM »
If I may so, it seems you're, profmunkin, not so much looking for an answer as looking for the "right" answer, the one that fits a hoax.
As others, including myself, have pointed out, evidence within the video suggests quite strongly otherwise.