Author Topic: Why are NASA astronauts (still) lying?  (Read 73182 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Why are NASA astronauts (still) lying?
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2014, 05:20:34 AM »
I think it's been known a very long time. Simple observation of the pupil of the eye shows that it has both a very limited range and a fairly fast response time, neither of  which explain the wide dynamic range of the eye and the time it takes to dark-adapt to get that full range.

Furthermore, you lose the ability to dilate your eyes as you get older, just as you lose the ability to focus the lens. Certain drugs also stop down the iris, such as opiates. Yet your vision still maintains a pretty wide dynamic range.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2014, 03:43:59 AM »
I wonder if some of the difficulty in describing the dynamic range of the eye is because it is not a simple system. I remember reading that the rods are concentrated in the center, the cones more present in the periphery, suggesting that different parts of the instantaneous field of vision have different sensitivities. But in the complete system, your eyes are rapidly scanning, presenting different parts of the retina to each part of the scene being imaged (and reconstructed piecemeal by the brain while doing so).

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
I remember reading that the rods are concentrated in the center, the cones more present in the periphery

It's the other way around - rods on the periphery and cones in the center.  Since rods are responsible for night vision, a person can seen fainter objects (such as when looking through a telescope) when using his/her peripheral vision.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:03 AM »
I think it's been known a very long time. Simple observation of the pupil of the eye shows that it has both a very limited range and a fairly fast response time, neither of  which explain the wide dynamic range of the eye and the time it takes to dark-adapt to get that full range.

Furthermore, you lose the ability to dilate your eyes as you get older, just as you lose the ability to focus the lens. Certain drugs also stop down the iris, such as opiates. Yet your vision still maintains a pretty wide dynamic range.

It wasn't covered when I did vision physiology as a biology student in the late 70s, 30 years after Clarke wrote his book.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2014, 01:17:52 AM »
I remember reading that the rods are concentrated in the center, the cones more present in the periphery

It's the other way around - rods on the periphery and cones in the center.  Since rods are responsible for night vision, a person can seen fainter objects (such as when looking through a telescope) when using his/her peripheral vision.

Yah, I knew about the averted vision. But I can never seem to remember which one is the rod and which is the cone.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »

Yah, I knew about the averted vision. But I can never seem to remember which one is the rod and which is the cone.

Another reason that averted vision works is that the further from the center of the eye the rods are, a single nerve pathway to the brain covers more and more rods.   The arrangement provides a more sensitive threshold for seeing at the expense of detail.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Valis

• Venus
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2014, 03:32:47 AM »
A biology teacher told us to think about which one you'd rather have in hand when you are in dark. OK, that works better in Finnish, where the translations are more like "staff" and "peg", respectively.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
Cones are for Colour vision...
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2014, 07:53:34 AM »
I am starting to get concerned about the wellbeing of of our fiesty OP? He promised us he was back, but there has been nary a peep since. Oh I do hope misfortune hasnt befallen him as I was ready to hear his convincing arguments about an alleged hoax...
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »
I am starting to get concerned about the wellbeing of of our fiesty OP? He promised us he was back, but there has been nary a peep since. Oh I do hope misfortune hasnt befallen him as I was ready to hear his convincing arguments about an alleged hoax...

Drive By Spam!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:49:22 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »
[/URL]
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2014, 06:56:01 AM »
[/URL]

Oh, in shoals of them, think that was obvious from day one. Do you get shoals of sea birds? Or is it flocks, what about sea birds that dive under water to get at the fish, would they be a flock above the water and a shoal underneath? ;)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2014, 06:57:20 AM »
Cones are for Colour vision...

They are not.

They are for ice cream.....

OK. On my way out in shame.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2014, 08:10:44 AM »
Yep...classic seagull poster...flaps in schreeching and dropping guano everywhere. Then drops out without any acknowledgement of his errors.

he's still over on YouTube trying to make out that the Hubble images are all fake. Sheesh...I wonder how nutcases like Weisbecker gets through life. Do they get confused over cartoons and wonder why the coyote manages to survive huge rocks dropping on his head?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
They get through life by avoiding where they will be accountable to people with real knowledge on a stage where they can be shown to be in error. They know this.