Author Topic: Why are NASA astronauts (still) lying?  (Read 73296 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Why are NASA astronauts (still) lying?
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2014, 01:35:42 AM »
I rather like actual seagulls, though even in my liking I admit the description is fairly apt.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2014, 02:01:45 AM »
Do you live near the coast, Raven?
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2014, 02:48:13 AM »
Yes, I do. The keening laugh of seagulls is one of the joys of living on the West Coast. :)

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
I am starting to get concerned about the wellbeing of of our fiesty OP?... Oh I do hope misfortune hasnt befallen him

Well there is always the possibilty he applied his wilful ignorance to the real world and got run over when he "protested" against the reality of traffic lights...

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »
Do you live near the coast, Raven?
Yes, I do. The keening laugh of seagulls is one of the joys of living on the West Coast. :)

Strangely, I live on the USA East Coast, a good 300 miles inland, and we still have flocks of seagulls - evidently they range quite far up the larger rivers.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
That's not the answer I expected, Raven - everyone else I have heard say they like seagulls are people who don't have to live near them!  ;D
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
I wonder how nutcases like Weisbecker gets through life. Do they get confused over cartoons and wonder why the coyote manages to survive huge rocks dropping on his head?

Of course not. Like any other nutcase, he realises that is all fake; a conspiracy perpetrated by "Acme" as a promotional tool for its wide range of products.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
Strangely, I live on the USA East Coast, a good 300 miles inland, and we still have flocks of seagulls - evidently they range quite far up the larger rivers.

We've got the "rats of the sky" here in the Michigan/Indiana area, too.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
Every dump I've been to, no matter how far inland, they are there.
That's not the answer I expected, Raven - everyone else I have heard say they like seagulls are people who don't have to live near them!  ;D
Oh, they can make a mess, but they are graceful fliers, quite beautiful and rather intelligent.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:23:43 PM by raven »

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2014, 04:03:16 AM »

My thoughts exactly. In fact, I considered linking a Sam video.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
Every dump I've been to, no matter how far inland, they are there.
Oh, they can make a mess, but they are graceful fliers, quite beautiful and rather intelligent.
I spent one day in Ilfracombe last week. I don't like seagulls either. Look what they did to my car!

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
Yes, they do do that. ;D Never leave the top down on a convertible in seagull country! :o

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
Utah's state bird is the California seagull, and we have tons of them despite being hundreds of miles away from California.  They have a hallowed place in Mormon history, so we endure them.  I think we're the only state that has an official state firearm as well -- the Browning .45 cal. automatic.  Any connection is probably unintentional.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
I wouldn't be completely sure--or at any rate, you won't be as soon as someone mentions it in Texas.  Though I've long loved that the official state sport of Maryland is jousting.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates