Author Topic: AS11-44-6550 and AS17-134-20384  (Read 46964 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: AS11-44-6550 and AS17-134-20384
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
We are the Jay. Your Apollo knowledge and technical skill will be added to our own.
Resistance is futile.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 02:18:02 AM »
That a wonderful picture. I viewed it using the Flickr link you posted, the detail is stunning. Very impressive. I've been playing with the other end of the spectrum and trying my hand at macrophotography. I've had some neat results so far, but it's been a bit hit and miss. All my macro is in a natural setting rather than killing bugs and stacking images.

Thank you.

I've got a macro lens knocking about somewhere and must have a try at some macro work. Do you have a link to your images?

Here's the moon I took with a 1 mm lens.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 03:03:44 AM »
I've got a macro lens knocking about somewhere and must have a try at some macro work. Do you have a link to your images?

No, I have never uploaded any photos to share sites.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »
Every time I see the claim that the Earth looks too small, I just post this gif

-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 10:28:10 PM »
Wow, that is amazing. I know how different lenses can drastically alter photographic perspeftive, but that is a dramatic example!!  Even I didn't  realizee how MUCH different lenses  effect the same subject!

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 11:05:15 PM »
Wow, that is amazing. I know how different lenses can drastically alter photographic perspeftive, but that is a dramatic example!!  Even I didn't  realizee how MUCH different lenses  effect the same subject!

Yes, it is a great example. I have often heard this effect called depth compression. I'm a novice photographer and it is covered early on in my 'Noddy's Guide to Photography.' Even I know about this, and I'm a photography numptee.

Again it is another reason that the moon hoax loses credibility. Arguments like parallel shadows, C-rock's, multiple light sources and slow-mo film are inherently easy to debunk and thus self-defeating before their arguments get to base 1. Just a little bit of research. It's not asking for too much really. Sheesh.  :o
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:06:57 AM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 11:07:56 PM »

It is pretty dramatic.  I wish I could take credit for it but I just happened to grab the gif.  The website of the guy that made it has since shut down.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 11:11:05 PM »
It is pretty dramatic.  I wish I could take credit for it but I just happened to grab the gif.  The website of the guy that made it has since shut down.

It's a good grab. I've saved it to my computer. I might try making something similar as a little project. I'm taking a weekend away soon, so it's a good chance to get the camera out.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 01:46:58 AM »
It's called a dolly zoom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom

It was a favorite Hitchcock trick. He used it in Vertigo, so it's also known as the "Hitchcock zoom" or "Vertigo effect" but I don't know if he was actually the first director or cinematographer to use it. The Wiki article mentions a cameraman named Irmin Roberts as its originator.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 01:49:37 AM »
The article says it's meant to be unsettling, to suggest a character is undergoing a realization that causes him or her to reassess everything he or she had previously believed.

So maybe this is what a hoax believer will see if he ever reassesses everything he had previously believed. There's always a first time.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 04:42:01 AM »
It's called a dolly zoom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom

It was a favorite Hitchcock trick. He used it in Vertigo, so it's also known as the "Hitchcock zoom" or "Vertigo effect" but I don't know if he was actually the first director or cinematographer to use it. The Wiki article mentions a cameraman named Irmin Roberts as its originator.
And was also used in Apollo 13 on Gene Kranz when Lovell announced the sighting of the oxygen venting.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 05:33:54 AM »
A similar effect is used to make the Moon look larger against foreground objects. A long telephoto lens will achieve this effect:
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 10:36:39 AM »
In the '80s it was sometimes called the Spielberg Zoom even though Steven Spielberg never claimed credit for it.  He just used it in creative ways after zooms had fallen somewhat out of style.  Starting in the mid-1970s most cinematography was done with prime lenses, as cinéma vérité styles from earlier art film movements migrated into Hollywood mainstream.  The classic movements of the camera survived, but changing focal length was seen as a way of drawing attention to the camera as an artificial eye rather than a proxy for the viewer.  Even still, the dolly zoom doesn't overtly change the focal length in that way when combined with the zoom.

The insurgence of the found-footage genre and the attendant handheld cinematography (even in other genres) has resurrected the snap zoom, which is another way of establishing depth in a shot.  Part of why Firefly works visually is the snap zooms on the exterior-space shots.  In blatant contrast to the carefully choreographed (by necessity) process shots of the physical-model era, the space cinematography in Firefly mimics the happenstance cinematography of journalism.  And now that's how a lot of that sort of stuff is shot.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 11:27:54 AM »
The insurgence of the found-footage genre and the attendant handheld cinematography (even in other genres) has resurrected the snap zoom, which is another way of establishing depth in a shot.  Part of why Firefly works visually is the snap zooms on the exterior-space shots.  In blatant contrast to the carefully choreographed (by necessity) process shots of the physical-model era, the space cinematography in Firefly mimics the happenstance cinematography of journalism.  And now that's how a lot of that sort of stuff is shot.
I find it often over done, drawing attention to the artifice much of the time. Instead of feeling I am there, I feel like I am watching a movie, which reminds me, by jove, I am watching a movie.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »
I haven't seen Vertigo in some time so I can't remember how many times Hitchcock used the effect. The clips on Youtube show it being used only twice, for just a couple seconds each, as Scottie pauses and looks down while climbing the tower stairs. And it didn't even feature a person's face, as compared with Spielberg's use of it on Chief Brody at the beach when the shark attacks.

So it would appear that Hitchcock was careful not to overuse it, even though he seems to have originated it.