Author Topic: Questions needing answers  (Read 140760 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Questions needing answers
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 03:09:27 PM »
And why do you care?  Yes, I have a degree BSME (1989) from the University of Texas.  Although I'm not particularly proud of having been hoodwinked on a few principles of the universe.

Not that it makes any difference, but either you are lying (most likely) or you have undergone some pretty significant mental trauma (we've seen that before on here).
Why do I say this? Because no-one with even the tiniest modicum of engineering or education would ask the questions that you have just asked. And, more revealingly, would have asked them in the way that you have asked them.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
Not that it makes any difference...

It only makes a difference because he led with it.  He considers it relevant, and my guess is that he expected to intimidate his audience with it.  He's cribbing pseudo-scientific arguments from the usual sources and hoping to forestall criticism by presenting them as an "engineering" reasons why Apollo was not possible.

I'm not discounting the "serious brain trauma" explanation, but there is absolutely no way an accredited engineering school will grant a degree for such blatant ignorance as is displayed here.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »
WOW a flat-Earther also, but I could've guessed that. ::)

This individual has been raving over on the Flat Earth Society for a few months.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a4tsvp20lgneahn6ii4ino7411&action=profile;area=showposts;u=1046975
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »

Now that you mention it the main reason I know NASA is a fraud and has bilked billions from taxpayers to fund their fantasy expeditions is the observable and tested facts that the earth is flat.  But I digress ;)
You know our ancestors, starting with Eratosthenes, and continuing with mariners in the middle ages proved the world is roughly spherical, this has nothing to do with NASA, although they provide breath taking images to cement that idea.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
it's clear that I've upset your religious belief in a globe earth universe where NASA has all the answers.

Says the guy who can't even get other flat-earthers to buy into his nonsense.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »

This individual has been raving over on the Flat Earth Society for a few months.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a4tsvp20lgneahn6ii4ino7411&action=profile;area=showposts;u=1046975
Do I need my tin foil hat to go there?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 03:18:46 PM »
It only makes a difference because he led with it.  He considers it relevant, and my guess is that he expected to intimidate his audience with it.  He's cribbing pseudo-scientific arguments from the usual sources and hoping to forestall criticism by presenting them as an "engineering" reasons why Apollo was not possible.

This isn't YouTube though, so that approach will zero traction here.

I'm not discounting the "serious brain trauma" explanation, but there is absolutely no way an accredited engineering school will grant a degree for such blatant ignorance as is displayed here.
The mind is such a fragile thing...it takes so little for it to go completely wrong. Bjorkmann, Neil Baker, Patrick Tekeli are just a few that spring to mind. I guess we should be grateful to have a working mind and at the same time recognise just how little it would take to turn someone into a troll raving about conspiracy theories and suchlike.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2016, 03:19:16 PM »

Where's your degree from if you can't work out that the Earth isn't flat?

Now that you mention it the main reason I know NASA is a fraud and has bilked billions from taxpayers to fund their fantasy expeditions is the observable and tested facts that the earth is flat.  But I digress ;)
Not facts but more like conjecture support such idea.
If you cant use basic geometry to figure the shape of the earth, you probably are not an engineer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:25:24 PM by Gazpar »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2016, 03:21:15 PM »

Well, either approach from the angle that the whole site is a Poe or have someone perform a full frontal lobotomy on you. Either approach will be needed...

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2016, 03:25:09 PM »
As a proud Apollo moon lander denier and a degreed Mechanical Engineer, I have a few questions to ask those that believe in NASA's story.   As you answer these questions please take a minute to ponder if you are answering the questions based on faith or based on logic and evidence.  My contention is that those that believe in a globe earth universe, which includes moon landings, are operating on a basis of faith and therefore are adhering to a NASA based religion.

1) Why does the earth look so small in the background of photographs on the moon.  The earth should be much larger.
2) How did the astronauts keep cooled and heated in extreme temperatures (+/- 200F).  Could 1960's technology operated in this environment? I've seen a picture of the heat transfer system supposedly used but it still needed a power supply.
3) How did the astronauts fit through a 22" docking hatch with their backpacks on when hooking back with the command module?
4) How could NASA send a rocket to the moon given the variables (as told to us by science books) of the earth's rotation (1,000 mph), the earths rotation around the sun (65,000 mph), and the moon's rotation about the earth using technology no powerful than a pocket calculator.
5) How did all consumables including fuel (and a lunar rover) needed for a 7 day trip for 3 men fit in the lunar module?  According to NASA the LM was height was 22'-11" (with legs extended) and 31 ft diameter (across extended landing gear) so LM cargo/living area was smaller.
6) What kind of camera technology could withstand +/-200 F heat and develop film so perfectly clear (and film withstand radiation twice through the Van Allen belts)?
7) How did the astronauts poop and pee during their 7 day excursion to and from the moon?  Were they able to get out of their suits at all?

Neil... How on earth did you get an Engineering degree with such a complete ignorance of basic engineering principles?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2016, 03:26:54 PM »
I'm still waiting for Mythbusters to replicate the extreme temperatures on the moon...

Funny you mention that.  I consulted on that show.  That was contemplated as one of the experiments in the vacuum chambers, but was cut because the ones with radiant heating facilities were not available, and for other reasons.  When you understand why you need a vacuum chamber and radiant heat, you'll understand why you haven't thought enough about this problem.

Again, you still wave around the layman's concept of "temperature on the Moon" without saying the temperature of what.

...while trying to take pictures without the camera being ruined.

Because every other example of film photography in space from 1945 to the digital era, undertaken by several countries, is somehow a huge lie?

Or borrow the PLSS from NASA (if it exists) and run an experiment  ;)

Or just keep using the latest PLSSes, which work according to the same principles for cooling.  Unlike a real engineer, you seem to think NASA is some super-secret font of all space knowledge, and that no one can possibly know anything about space without being indoctrinated into their cabal.

I've worked for 30 years in space engineering (Hughes 601HP, Boeing 701, Boeing Delta III, Orbital Antares), none of it for NASA -- all of it for the private sector.  Please continue trying to tell me how my very successful career is just religious faith in NASA.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »

The site is a poe.

The person or persons who set it up aren't flat-earthers, they are jokesters who set up a site so that flat-earther's would have a place to congregate and make complete and utter fools of themselves.

The Colbert Report is a good example of a poe. There are people out there who simply don't understand that Stephen Colbert's character on that show is entirely satirical.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »
The mind is such a fragile thing...it takes so little for it to go completely wrong.

Hence why I'm not discounting it in this case.  I just think it's more likely he's bluffing than that he was once an engineer.  Bluffing happens more often.

Bjorkmann, Neil Baker,...

As far as these guys jumped the track, they can still talk a few concepts of engineering.  And their claims are more about coverups and subterfuge than about misuse of engineering.  I'm less convinced that having a major cognitive issue would simply revert someone's knowledge back to the lay vernacular of pseudo-engineering foisted by hoax claimants.

Patrick Tekeli...

Meh, I still think it was the brother.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »

That's awesome with 1960's camera technology.  In addition the astronauts had the cameras fitted to the front of the suits with no view finders so I think they did a fantastic job of getting all these great and clear shots.

That's OPTICS, a subset of GEOMETRY, and has nothing to do with any kind of fanciful modern image manipulation. Really -- are you saying you know less about projective geometry than William Hogarth, working on his etchings in 1754?

Incidentally, this is the same 1960's that could create Concorde and ICBMs. I think they could manage space flight pretty well too.

From the humor department of NASA:  "The Data Camera was given a silver finish to make it more resistant to thermal variations that ranged from full Sun to full shadow helping maintain a more uniform internal temperature.".
Apparently neither major metropolitan fire departments or auto accessories resellers got the joke, either. Think about it for a minute and see if you can think of any other cases of highly reflective coatings being used for thermal protection.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2016, 06:58:14 PM »
Can you give me a reasonable answer without relying on nasa?  According the website on the PLSS the battery provided 279 W-hr supply for the system to keep the astronots from frying in 200F+ heat or freezing in -200F cold.   

4. Sorry, Newton laws of motion doesn't cut it.  NASA admits their computing power was as powerful as a handheld calculator.

What's your source for the temp range, if it's not trusting NASA and their measurements? who else has measured it? What actually varied in temp?

The onboard computers weren't the only ones in use.