Author Topic: Oh lord show me the truth....  (Read 19952 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Oh lord show me the truth....
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »
Eh,  I grew up in a YEC Christian family, and while there was definitely elements of the first, the latter two were certainly not the case.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »
Eh,  I grew up in a YEC Christian family, and while there was definitely elements of the first, the latter two were certainly not the case.

Well, Walt Brown's "Hydro-Plate theory" has to be one of the most stupid YEC theories ever conceived. The level of stupid in his rantings is breathtaking.

Here, though is my favourite youtube debunker... Wildwoodclaire, taking the mickey out of Walt Brown's preposterous ideas.

PS: How do you embed a youtube video here. I have tried various different ways, I cannot seem to get it to work. the BBCode button  enclosing the URL does not work.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 09:44:01 PM by LunarOrbit »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 03:22:50 AM »
It would be pretty hard to deny that the earth's plates are moving inasmuch as you can actually see them moving with GPS even when there isn't a major earthquake going on. But I wouldn't put it past the young-earth creationists. They deny radioactive decay even when you can watch and time that too.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 05:41:26 AM »
Oh dear. I read the introduction. That was enough.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 06:43:41 AM »
Like this...

The problem is the S after the http - get rid of it....  I'm not sure what it is that makes some links Secure but not others..

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »
It would be pretty hard to deny that the earth's plates are moving inasmuch as you can actually see them moving with GPS even when there isn't a major earthquake going on. But I wouldn't put it past the young-earth creationists. They deny radioactive decay even when you can watch and time that too.

An expanding Earth proponent on BAUT's ATM section, when I still visited BAUT's ATM section, told me they'd never measured subduction.  I told them they had, in fact, and were in the process of doing it a few hundred miles from my apartment.  I forget exactly why I was wrong about that one, but he was sure I was.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
YEC  = Young Earth Creationist.  A pretty safe bet for BS.
Maybe superficially, but given that he has outright lied in his videos, I think he just does this for the money, ironically making him a true shill.
I suspect BS's beliefs are sincere at the time he says them for the purpose for which he holds them.  It is just that his purposes are different from yours and mine.  His overall behavior suggests to me that he live his life at crossed purposes. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
I suspect BS's beliefs are sincere at the time he says them for the purpose for which he holds them.  It is just that his purposes are different from yours and mine.  His overall behavior suggests to me that he live his life at crossed purposes. 

It is perfectly possible for people to have sincerely held beliefs which contain a level of stupid that is simply beyond all reason, e.g. flat-earthers and no-planers!

ChrLz. Thanks for the info regards youtube embedding. That will be why I have been able to get to to work sometimes and not other times
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 05:02:41 AM »
The problem is the S after the http - get rid of it....  I'm not sure what it is that makes some links Secure but not others..
The S stands for Secure. Without it, your browser connects to the standard HTTP port (80) on the server and fetches the object in the clear. The https prefix tells your browser to connect to a different server TCP port (443), perform a SSL (Secure Sockets Library) handshake, and fetch the object using SSL to encrypt it.

Many web servers support both unencrypted (http) and encrypted (https) connections, but not all. Some web servers don't listen on port 443 at all, so you'll get "connection refused" or something similar. Other web servers (like mine) do listen on 443 but aren't properly set up for every domain name that they happen to serve unless the site owner explicitly pays for that feature. The result can be weird errors, hangs, 404 (not found) errors, etc.

It's a good idea to use https whenever possible just on principle, to make it that much harder for the NSA and other black agencies to vacuum-cleaner the entire web. But if it doesn't work, just change https to http.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:04:16 AM by ka9q »

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
In one of the little... uh... commentaries on his site "Brother Bart" says:

I receive a small social security check monthly, on the first of each month, by direct deposit.

I can't help but wonder whether he's considered mentally disabled.

Also, if he's really a "theology student" as he claims, I have to wonder if he was absent the day they taught the concept of going to hell for malicious lying.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »

I receive a small social security check monthly, on the first of each month, by direct deposit.

Also, if he's really a "theology student" as he claims, I have to wonder if he was absent the day they taught the concept of going to hell for malicious lying.
He lied about being sick that day. :P

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »
I thought Walt Brown's cracked-crust hydroplate flood theory sounded familiar.  Sure enough, back in 1965 there was a movie called Crack In The World that had a similar premise, where a scientist sets off a thermonuclear device in/near the Earth's magma layer, causing a crack that rapidly encircles the globe and "threatens to split the Earth in two".

Actually not a bad movie, and certainly more entertaining than listening to Walt Brown.

Trailer:

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 12:57:22 PM »

I also receive a small social security check monthly, on the first of each month, by direct deposit. That's simply the payee's choice of payment options. It need not have anything to do with mental disability.

It's everything else he does and says that leaves me wondering.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:32:55 PM by Luckmeister »
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 12:02:57 AM »
Ah yes, "Crack in the World". I remember seeing that one on TV not long after it came out. Even then it seemed pretty damn hokey. I certainly don't lie awake at night worrying about geothermal power.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »

I also receive a small social security check monthly, on the first of each month, by direct deposit. That's simply the payee's choice of payment options. It need not have anything to do with mental disability.

It's everything else he does and says that leaves me wondering.

I believe you missed my point. I also receive an SSA check monthly by direct deposit. In my case, it's because of a physical disability.

My comment was intended to refer to the reason for Sibrel's stipend.  He doesn't appear to be physically disabled (although such a disability is not always obvious), nor is he in the right age range(s) for survivor's or retirement benefits.

So I was speculating (in a tongue-in-cheek way) that he has qualified as mentally disabled.