Author Topic: Nvidia uses new global illumination tech to test hoax claims  (Read 31046 times)

Offline beedarko

• Earth
Nvidia uses new global illumination tech to test hoax claims
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I hadn't seen this until today, and it's absolutely brilliant.  I completely geek out over this stuff.

The guys at Nvidia use the new Maxwell GPU to render global lighting scenarios in real time, and decided to apply that process to the Apollo 11 landing site photos.  They focus specifically on the famous shot of Aldrin descending the ladder as taken by Armstrong - a favorite of hoaxters due to their belief that Aldrin should be in shadow.  They also address a few other claims, including the oft-quoted "no stars" issue.

I think this documentary provides a nice respite from silly ghost claims and "whispers" from the anonymously challenged.

Enjoy.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
Re: Nvidia uses new global illumination tech to test hoax claims
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »
I was duly impressed by the nvidia crew. I was not so impressed by the HB who just couldn't resist the usual sprouting of nonsense 2 posts in. The TV rebuttal in the comments is I.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Halibut

• Mercury
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:25:45 PM »
That is awesome, thank you. This is what REAL photo analysts can do!

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
Heh, I was pretty damn sure Armstrong's suit would provide some answers why Apollo and the Mythbuster's photos diverged. They still busted the myth, but this does one better.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:51:23 PM »
That is awesome, thank you. This is what REAL photo analysts can do!

I was especially pleased with how they produced a 3D version of the scene as if it had no reflected light qualities at all, and then compared that to the rendering with realistic lighting properties like reflection and refraction, etc.

Most hoaxters are fairly one-dimensional in their thinking, which might explain why they seem to more easily identify with the flat illumination example.  The interviewee also said this more simple style of lighting is common in 3D gaming, which produced another minor "aha" moment. 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:58:11 PM by beedarko »

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »
It is just a matter of time before the dimwit hoaxer responses start rolling in. Perhaps Armstrong's ghost can enlighten us further?

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »
It is just a matter of time before the dimwit hoaxer responses start rolling in. Perhaps Armstrong's ghost can enlighten us further?

Please God, no.

edit:  The Blunder has discovered it, and is apparently "crying foul".   ::)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:02:28 PM by beedarko »

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »
Oh look he-must-not-be-named showed up. And lo and behold, with swiss watchmaker-precision, he is crying foul. Good thing, though, otherwise, as I stated, I'd be unable to set my watch accurately without it.

oops. beedarko I see you updated your post just as I was adding mine.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:34:47 PM by dwight »

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 12:30:47 AM »
That was so cool my monitor fogged up!

I see people commenting on you-know-who having seen this. I can just imagine how he is trying to disassemble it. Once upon a time this would have provoked him into making about a ten-video series. That's a video I'll actually want to watch, as long as he doesn't talk too much.... Alas, I have little hope of that. :-/  I thanked him once for using titles instead of audio narration. From now on, my name for him will be Wunder-Blunder.

I've seen that clip of Bill Kaysing before, but I must not have been paying attention. Wow, he was actually stating that the relative positions of the stars would have been different on the moon! Well, he repeatedly demonstrated that astronomy isn't one of his strong suits. In fact, I can't think of any strong suits he had, other than maybe how to survive as a recluse in the desert.

Looking forward to more from these Nvidia people.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:33:34 AM by AstroBrant »
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 12:37:23 AM »
Oh look he-must-not-be-named showed up.
(...snip)

Where?
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 12:51:28 AM »
Open the video on it's youtube-page, you'll find him right there.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:54 AM »
I can't think of any strong suits he had, other than maybe how to survive as a recluse in the desert.

He didn't do so well on that part either - he died there.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 08:35:06 AM »
I've seen that clip of Bill Kaysing before, but I must not have been paying attention. Wow, he was actually stating that the relative positions of the stars would have been different on the moon! Well, he repeatedly demonstrated that astronomy isn't one of his strong suits. In fact, I can't think of any strong suits he had, other than maybe how to survive as a recluse in the desert

You know, that is one of the claims which I never quite understood, i.e what was the reason they made this claim? It is self defeating

If real astronomers would have tumbled to the stars being in the wrong positions, then with all the alleged extensive fakery going on, it would be the simplest thing for them to make fake stars in the correct positions, right?

Well, no, there is a problem with that too. If the alleged fakers had made stars visible in those lunar surface photos, real photographers would have said "Oi, you should not be able to see stars in those photos due to the f-ratio required to exposed the surface."

So, a lack of stars does not prove anything, but the presence of a star field would be a dead give-away of fakery.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Halibut

• Mercury
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »
Wow, he was actually stating that the relative positions of the stars would have been different on the moon! Well, he repeatedly demonstrated that astronomy isn't one of his strong suits.

That one just amazes me. All they would have to do is think for a few seconds about how far the earth moves in its orbit around the sun compared to hpw far away the moon is to realize the stars wouldn't look any different! You don't even need a calculator.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 08:55:22 AM »
And when you look at the low light photography done during Apollo missions that did capture stars, they are exactly where they should be :)