Author Topic: Van Allen's "Nonsense" Quote  (Read 17154 times)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: Van Allen's "Nonsense" Quote
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
... and keep driving until you come to...

Yes, I'm an oldie too.

Anyway, according to one of the Apollo Radiation Protection documents (NASA-CR-106949):

The spacecraft radiation detectors consist of the Nuclear Particle Detection System, the Van Allen Belt Dosimeter, three Personal Radiation Dosimeters, and a portable Radiation Survey Meter. Each astronaut also carries four (4) passive packages which can be read out after return to earth.

The NPDS and VABD data are telemetered to the ground and are available almost continually. PRD and RSM data are available when read out by the astronauts, normally twice a day.

I found a picture of the VAB Dosimeter:

But I have been unable to find any information on exactly where it was located in the spacecraft.

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
According to this (see page 8 of the pdf) "compromise in VABD design was required for Apollo flammability considerations," so, based on my limited knowledge, I'd presume it was somewhere in the command module cabin.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
I found a picture of the VAB Dosimeter:

Considering it was a hoax, they spent an awful lot of time and money building equipment for it. In fact, by my reckoning, hoaxing the landings would have cost more than the actual landings.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
I grew up on Carson.  He was TV for me. 

But always remember, when you come to a fork in the road, take it!
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 01:51:33 PM »
But I have been unable to find any information on exactly where it was located in the spacecraft.

I found a document saying they were mounted between the hatch and 'longeron No. 4' (I had to google that!).

See page 82 http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/CSM09_Crew_Accommodations_pp69-82.pdf

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »
Considering it was a hoax, they spent an awful lot of time and money building equipment for it. In fact, by my reckoning, hoaxing the landings would have cost more than the actual landings.
I think this is why many of them  cling so tightly to the radiation claims. Without a definitive show stopper, the question is raised of, with all NASA had, why they didn't just go?
EDIT: I found this PDF that on page 49 shows the dosimeter in situ. It confirms my earlier supposition of it being in the cabin.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:16:31 PM by raven »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 05:36:40 PM »
I think this is why many of them  cling so tightly to the radiation claims.

Radiation is certainly their 'trump card.' For most people the radiation argument looks convincing, it's scary and sounds scientific enough to believe. Then they offer arguments like parallel shadows and stars that are so incredibly weak it makes their entire position look foolish. It does make one wonder if they actually know when to stick. They seem to keep twisting, even when in their eyes they have their 21 deck with radiation.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:40:30 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch