Author Topic: A flat Earth thread for Tradosaurus  (Read 92731 times)

Offline frenat

• Mars
Re: A flat Earth thread for Tradosaurus
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2016, 02:46:13 PM »
The whole point if this is to make you realise that VHF communications such as terrestrial TV and FM Radio does not work over long distances. If you tune into your FM Radio and identify the location of every station you can hear, they will all be within just a few kilometres of where you are located. There are over 44,000 FM stations world wide, but only around 100 channels in the FM band, so on average each channel is shared by around 440 stations If the earth were flat, your FM radio would pick up every radio station in the world - the band would be a cacophony of unintelligible noise on every channel where there wasn't a station really close to you - the only way that FM band sharing works is because the curvature of the earth separates their signals.

Excellent information, and an insightful illustration of yet another way that a Flat Earth doesn't(pardon the pun) hold water.

In the same vein, I've seen them trying to say that since flights "vanish" over large bodies of water(most specifically in the southern hemisphere) that this is evidence that the pilots are "turning off the GPS" to hide their actual flight paths. I've tried to explain that the flight tracker sites from which they're getting their information rely on ground-based radar tracking stations to provide planes' current positions, and that it's the very curvature of the globe that they're denying that prevents real-time radar tracking, but it's all in vain.

At least until the real GPS tracking comes online. I can't wait to see what mental gymnastics FEs will use to explain that.

Yeah, a common misconception, especially among that crowd, about GPS is that it is two way.  They don't realize that a GPS no matter it is is handheld, in your car or in a plane is one way.  It receives only.  For somebody else to have your location they have to be receiving information either via radar, radio, or some other satellite link.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline DonQuixote

• Venus
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Yeah, a common misconception, especially among that crowd, about GPS is that it is two way.  They don't realize that a GPS no matter it is is handheld, in your car or in a plane is one way.  It receives only.  For somebody else to have your location they have to be receiving information either via radar, radio, or some other satellite link.

Is that why it's a ground-side fix to track flights via GPS? I was curious about that and was wondering if perhaps it was set up specifically as it was to preserve the privacy of those making use of GPS.
You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can not make him think.

Offline tradosaurus

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2016, 03:23:29 PM »
So tell us Tradasaurus, who all is in on this conspiracy to promote a flat earth? You don't need individual names, but how about a list of organizations?

The question should be Who is on this conspiracy to keep the flat earth universe from being taught? And why?

If you can control people by what they learn then you can control what they believe.  Which is why events such as 9/11 were so readily accepted as being done by terrorists.

If you want to learn real science read or watch, Dr. Judy D. Wood, who is a former professor of mechanical engineering with research interests in experimental stress analysis, structural mechanics, optical methods, deformation analysis, and the materials characterization of biomaterials and composite materials.

She talks about energy technology that was used to bring down the twin towers.
NASA:  Faking space for over 50 years.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »
So tell us Tradasaurus, who all is in on this conspiracy to promote a flat earth? You don't need individual names, but how about a list of organizations?

The question should be Who is on this conspiracy to keep the flat earth universe from being taught? And why?

If you can control people by what they learn then you can control what they believe.  Which is why events such as 9/11 were so readily accepted as being done by terrorists.

If you want to learn real science read or watch, Dr. Judy D. Wood, who is a former professor of mechanical engineering with research interests in experimental stress analysis, structural mechanics, optical methods, deformation analysis, and the materials characterization of biomaterials and composite materials.

Have you ever encountered a conspiracy you didn't believe?

How about you answer the question?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »
The whole point if this is to make you realise that VHF communications such as terrestrial TV and FM Radio does not work over long distances. If you tune into your FM Radio and identify the location of every station you can hear, they will all be within just a few kilometres of where you are located. There are over 44,000 FM stations world wide, but only around 100 channels in the FM band, so on average each channel is shared by around 440 stations If the earth were flat, your FM radio would pick up every radio station in the world - the band would be a cacophony of unintelligible noise on every channel where there wasn't a station really close to you - the only way that FM band sharing works is because the curvature of the earth separates their signals.

Excellent information, and an insightful illustration of yet another way that a Flat Earth doesn't(pardon the pun) hold water.

In the same vein, I've seen them trying to say that since flights "vanish" over large bodies of water(most specifically in the southern hemisphere) that this is evidence that the pilots are "turning off the GPS" to hide their actual flight paths. I've tried to explain that the flight tracker sites from which they're getting their information rely on ground-based radar tracking stations to provide planes' current positions, and that it's the very curvature of the globe that they're denying that prevents real-time radar tracking, but it's all in vain.

At least until the real GPS tracking comes online. I can't wait to see what mental gymnastics FEs will use to explain that.

I honestly did not know that, though it never occurred to me to worry about it either way. Makes sense, though, why would a GPS need to transmit, right?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2016, 03:33:12 PM »
Hey troll why are you evading why a ship approaching only has the top visible and as it gets closer more of the ship is visible from the top down?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2016, 03:43:44 PM »
Hey troll why are you evading why a ship approaching only has the top visible and as it gets closer more of the ship is visible from the top down?

I second the challenge. Answer the question.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »
The twin towers are irrelevant, trad. You have been asked questions and refused to answer them. I have another: what causes a lunar eclispe in your flat earth model?

You have also been shown to be a liar by me. Will you address that or not?

Really we're just maring time until Lunar Orbit has time to come on and ban you since you admitted you are trolling anyway, but what the hell, it's a quiet night.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2016, 06:08:24 PM »
I'm glad I was able to entertain the NASA fan boys on here.  As I originally stated my goal was to prove that the globe earth is a religious cult that when questioned becomes extremely defensive and resorts to ridicule.

I never gave the flat earth a thought and was quite disgusted with the idea until about a year ago when I talked to a fellow engineer (fairly young at 26) who calmly walked me through his awakening to reality (the flat earth).

You were disgusted? How could an idea like that disgust you? Amused contempt? Annoyed dismissal? Patient rebuttal? Any of those make sense. But disgust is too personal an emotion to make sense, at least to me.

Oh well. Perhaps that's why you took to it.

The first observation (true science) was realizing that the horizon is flat no matter how high you go and after taking a flight from Texas to Oregon I could plainly see that the horizon was flatter than a pancake.  Once I could observe that mathematically the globe earth was fiction it was easy to start grasping the other facts and logic of the flat earth.

Since much work has already been completed by others proving the flat earth I would point those of good will to download (for free) the book "200 reasons why the earth is not a spinning ball".  http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/08/200-proofs-earth-is-not-spinning-ball.html

Then please apply your maths to these two main issues:

1. Flight paths between Australia and Chile and between Australia and South Africa. You claim (via the "200 Proofs" book) that these flights travel via locations in the northern hemisphere, yet I and others have pointed out that there are direct flights between these countries which remain in the southern hemisphere. I've also pointed out that the direct flight from Sydney to Santiago takes less time than a direct flight from Sydney to Los Angeles which is, according to your map, barely half way on the journey from Sydney to Santiago. Please explain this contradiction.

2. Travel distances within Australia. According to your Flat Earth map, Australia is about four times wide (east-west) as it is tall (north-south). Globe-based maps show Australia as being about 50% wider than it is tall. When comparing travel distances EW and NS in Australia (for example, Sydney-Perth and Sydney-Brisbane), they match globe-based maps, not the FE map. Please explain this discrepancy.

ETA: I note, in passing, that both of these problems (and a couple of others) are set in the southern hemisphere, where FE map distortions are at their greatest. These sorts of things might not be noticed by people living in temperate northern latitudes who don't think much about their southern hemispherian cousins, but they're particularly noticeable to us.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:20:02 PM by Peter B »
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2016, 06:10:32 PM »

I honestly did not know that, though it never occurred to me to worry about it either way. Makes sense, though, why would a GPS need to transmit, right?
Exactly.  That's why GPS receivers can be so small that they can be put into watches.  They ONLY receive.  And the satellites only have to transmit.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »

Thank you for proving crank magnetism is a valid theory.  Judy Wood only proved she had no clue about the energy required or any of the relevant science.  She was almost as clueless as you.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »

Let me guess. Based on the illustrations above "Proofs" 197 and 198, is it The Jews?

You mean the Judy Wood who is debunked here: https://mylespower.co.uk/2014/10/04/a-review-of-dr-judy-woods-book-where-did-the-towers-go/#prettyPhoto
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Cat Not Included

• Venus
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2016, 06:20:05 PM »

So, yeah...no answer from you then?

I'm vaguely familiar with the energy technology used to bring down the towers. It involves burning hydrocarbons to accelerate a large metal object weighing upward of 350 tons to several hundred miles per hour.
The quote "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" very clearly predates personal computers.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »

Heres an animation from world famous amateur astro-photgrapher Damian Peach:

Notice the slight darkening of the edge on the right hand side and the fore-shortening of the great Red Spot due to limb-foreshortening as the planet revolves. There is no known way to explain this is it was a disc.

And one of his Mars projects from 2014, showing a full rotation and a phase of the planet. Again, no way to explain this if it was a disc.

I was never able to see enough detail (I live in a massive conurbation with poor air quality to boot) to make out more than the GRS and a vaguely "mottled" look to Mars. I mean, I could see the ice cap, but not so I could actually watch it grow and retreat.

On the other hand, unless someone was really, really trying to fool people. the Moon is damn sure round. Especially as the lighting angle changes across all those craters. Maybe not quite as blindingly obvious to the naked eye (lunar anisotropy and all) but focus even a tiny 'scope on the terminator of a crescent moon.....

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »

Dr. Wood?  The Dr. Wood that was thoroughly trounced over at JREF for her complete lack of scientific method involving cigarette butts?  That Dr. Wood?

OK If that's your level of acceptance of science and engineering, no wonder you buy flat earth claptrap.