Author Topic: Big Bang  (Read 5661 times)

Offline LionKing

• Mars
Big Bang
« on: February 22, 2016, 03:47:55 AM »
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
Re: Big Bang
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:14:58 AM »
perhaps this explains it better
https://briankoberlein.com/2015/02/10/beginning/

I still find it a bit hard to understand what they mean that the universe existed as a quantum potential before the big bang.. wha td othey think they mean? was there any space" and then the big bang happened in it emitting matter or what?
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:36:44 AM »
That report is nearly a year old. I think it has been overtaken by recent events at Hanford, Washington Livingston  Louisiana.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:43:07 AM »
That report is nearly a year old. I think it has been overtaken by recent events at Hanford, Washington Livingston  Louisiana.

what do you mean by overtaken? was it debunked?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:45:13 AM by LionKing »
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 06:46:33 AM »

what do you mean by overtaken? was it debunked?

The now confirmed discovery of the existence of Gravitational Waves is yet another confirmation of Einstein's GR. I wonder if the proposers of their new theory will be reviewing it or revising it in light of this recent discovery.

Here is that actual paper the article you linked refers to...

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1404.3093v3.pdf

Now I do not pretend to understand all of this (especially, I'm not well educated enough to follow the higher mathematics) but from what I can understand, I can glean that the authors are not at all suggesting that the Big Bang never happened.

NOTE: This paper was submitted in Dec 2014, some summaries published in Jan/Feb 2015, and since then we have heard nothing more.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:19:37 AM »
I think they mean that with their equations, if you run time backwards the universe gets ever smaller but never gets to zero, ie no singularity.  It would still produce a very hot and very dense solution corresponding to the time just after the singularity that the previous equations have.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 10:31:03 AM »
Thanks to both..so confirm please if I got it right: the big bang happened, but space was there before it? meaning the hot ball was roaming in space then it exploded producing the planets?
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »
Thanks to both..so confirm please if I got it right: the big bang happened, but space was there before it? meaning the hot ball was roaming in space then it exploded producing the planets?

Firstly, the Big bang theory doesn't really concern itself with the initial Big Bang (contrary to the name!), but with the expansion of the Universe after the initial event.

Secondly, space itself was formed at the point of the BB. If the current theory is correct, nothing existed "before" the event*. There was no space for anything to "roam" in or indeed to expand in to.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html#bigbang

* we are limited by the words that we have to use. There was no "before" as time itself was also formed out of the Big Bang.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
Has anyone watched

In it the theory of the big bang is disputed, due a "review" of red shift. Above my learning grade on whether this has merit or not.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »

Firstly, the Big bang theory doesn't really concern itself with the initial Big Bang (contrary to the name!), but with the expansion of the Universe after the initial event.

Secondly, space itself was formed at the point of the BB. If the current theory is correct, nothing existed "before" the event*. There was no space for anything to "roam" in or indeed to expand in to.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html#bigbang

* we are limited by the words that we have to use. There was no "before" as time itself was also formed out of the Big Bang.

Ok so in your understanding what do they mean that the universe has no beginning?
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 06:51:48 AM »
Ok so in your understanding what do they mean that the universe has no beginning?

In my (very limited) understanding, time and space are linked (spacetime). No space = no time. So there was no "before the Big Bang", certainly not as we understand it today anyway.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »

In my (very limited) understanding, time and space are linked (spacetime). No space = no time. So there was no "before the Big Bang", certainly not as we understand it today anyway.

thanks.. very hard to imagine though :)
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »

True, but then there's no obligation on the Universe to make itself comprehensible to a species of evolved primates sitting on a rock orbiting a very ordinary G2V class star.....

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 11:58:15 AM »

True, but then there's no obligation on the Universe to make itself comprehensible to a species of evolved primates sitting on a rock orbiting a very ordinary G2V class star.....
That's how discoveries are made, one of the CT's complaints, "science" keeps changing so how can it be "trusted" to validate issues they have.  I get weary of those comments made in context of discussing the VARB etc.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 12:07:11 PM »
Yes, many scientific theories (as opposed to science itself, which is a process) keep changing. That's how they get closer and closer to the truth.

It is extremely rare for a widely held theory to be completely disproven and replaced with something quite different. It's far more common for an existing theory to be supplanted with a broader one for which the previous one remains a very good approximation to the previous evidence. Einstein's modifications to Newtonian mechanics are the classic example.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:16:24 PM by ka9q »