Author Topic: new moon pics???  (Read 6250 times)

Offline mikejohnson

• Mercury
new moon pics???
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:35:14 PM »
hello all, is there any new pictures of the landing sites on the moon?  a couple years ago i saw some from nasa that showed the landing sites and some footprints and trails, they werent very good, at that time i heard there were some private companies that were going to have some better pictures. but i havent heard on any yet. is there any good pictures yet?

Offline Laurel

• Earth
Re: new moon pics???
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »
Welcome to the board. How do you define good?
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »
...a couple years ago i saw some from nasa that showed the landing sites and some footprints and trails, they werent very good...

I must also ask, given that you can actually see where the astronauts walked,. what would you consider good?

...or should I say, how much better would you expect images from orbit to be???

Offline mikejohnson

• Mercury
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:53:55 PM »
well the ones that i saw i could barely make out what was really there,and the report that i saw said the nasa photoes would be more refined and that there were other parties that expected to have better pics

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:10:08 AM »
Hello, mikejohnson.  Welcome to the board.

Those are really quite good for imagery from (lunar) orbit.  They compare well to Earth imagery taken from commercial Earth-imaging satellites - I've worked on such systems.  So I can't agree that they're not "good". 

Anyway, it will be some years yet before any private company sends anything better to the Moon, because it's very expensive and not particularly easy.  The LRO images are the best we'll have for several years - other than, of course, the images taken on the lunar surface by the Apollo crews themselves.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:02:17 AM »
The are no better images than what you have probably already seen.  But like you, we would love to see some.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:17:24 AM »
Since first imaging the Apollo sites, the LRO has manoeuvred to a lower orbit giving better resolution.  The newer pictures of the landing sites are considerably better than the ones from the initial orbit.  Here's a link:
http://www.space.com/12796-photos-apollo-moon-landing-sites-lro.html
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
Since first imaging the Apollo sites, the LRO has manoeuvred to a lower orbit giving better resolution.  The newer pictures of the landing sites are considerably better than the ones from the initial orbit.  Here's a link:
http://www.space.com/12796-photos-apollo-moon-landing-sites-lro.html
Err, the captions all say they photos were taken in 1972. Something amiss, surely? Thaey are all LRO pix AFAIK.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 06:05:29 AM »
Err, the captions all say they photos were taken in 1972. Something amiss, surely? Thaey are all LRO pix AFAIK.
The first few pics are captioned correctly.  The problem starts after they put in the surface pic of the flag, which was taken in 1969.  Looks like someone started editing in the Apollo mission dates instead of the actual photo dates.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »
If by "good" you mean a probe landed right next to one of the craft, and snapped closeups, it's unlikely you will ever see that.

Myself, I think it's stunning that we have been shown the actual remaining footprints on the Moon. How much better than that can we get?