Author Topic: Chandrayaan images of Apollo  (Read 20664 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: Chandrayaan images of Apollo
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
OK so I've added extra analyses of 16mm descent footage on the Apollo 11 and Apollo 14 pages of this part of my site.

I'm particularly pleased to have been able to identify one of the PLSS in an Apollo 14 LRO view :)

http://onebigmonkey.comoj.com/obm/landingsa11.html

http://onebigmonkey.comoj.com/obm/landingsa14.html

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 01:44:42 PM »
I am getting "The connection has timed out" for both those pages right now.  I'll try later. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »
HMm - my web host is free and occasionally flakey, though it is working for me on both laptop and phone.

I was going to do Apollo 15 next, but I wonder if there's any point in light of this stunning piece of work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmh7wktM7eU

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »
Comoj.com is not functioning for me, although the web site checker says it is up.  Might be my service, we have had some heavy storms here today.  I'll try from home later. 

Offline HeadLikeARock

• Venus
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
OK so I've added extra analyses of 16mm descent footage on the Apollo 11 and Apollo 14 pages of this part of my site.

I'm particularly pleased to have been able to identify one of the PLSS in an Apollo 14 LRO view :)

Stunning piece of work!

I'm just looking at your "Sideways on" page.

http://onebigmonkey.comoj.com/obm/sideways.html

Call me Mr Picky, but... I don't think libration is caused by the Earth's gravitational pull. It's more an optical effect to do with relative orbital paths, Earth's rotation etc.

Apart from that... seriously, I'm impressed! :)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »

Stunning piece of work!

I'm just looking at your "Sideways on" page.

http://onebigmonkey.comoj.com/obm/sideways.html

Call me Mr Picky, but... I don't think libration is caused by the Earth's gravitational pull. It's more an optical effect to do with relative orbital paths, Earth's rotation etc.

Apart from that... seriously, I'm impressed! :)

You're right. It has nothing to do with gravitational pull. Libration is a purely optical effect caused by three things, the eccentricity of the moon's orbit, the incliation of the moon's orbit and the rotation of the earth .
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »

You might want to look at this then :)

http://onebigmonkey.comoj.com/obm/landingsa17.html

I saw your other page already and that was good, but HOLY COW... this was a helluva lot of work! You're not married, are you? :)
If I get around to making any videos on this subject I will definitely give viewers this link. Excellent work, and thank you!

Edit: In case you are married, here, you can quote this for your wife:
Onebigmonkey, your work is amazing! I know how long it takes and how brain-draining it can be, but rest assured, your web site is contributing information which is priceless as an educational tool and as a reference for anyone wanting to know the truth. You should be very proud of your unique achievement.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:58:10 PM by AstroBrant »
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 12:12:20 AM »
Finally able to see the page. Nicely done. 

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 01:10:33 AM »
Aww shucks thank you everyone - it's just fun for me!

Yes, I am married btw, but once the flowers of romance have drooped you need something else to do in the evening :D

Thanks also for the tip about libration, I'll correct that later.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 04:00:36 AM »
I would just like to echo Astrobrant's comments re the usefulness of this sort of thing.

Its this kind detail that is so often overlooked by both HBs and Apollo enthusiast, that are the icing on the cake for me, the detail that proves Apollo was real and not faked.

Also, just looking through your Apollo 17 Landing Sites page. I have to say how hugely impressed I am with it.

17 was my favourite Apollo mission. I was 13½ when Apollo 11 landed and while I understood the significance of it in history (one small step etc), you do a lot of growing up between 13 and 17 so when Apollo 17 was there, I had a much better understanding of what much of the science was about.

At work, I have a 36" x 10" panorama print of the entire Apollo 17 landing site (taken fro the LRO) placed vertically on one end of the shop counter. Its shows the LRV tracks, the foot tracks, the location of ALSEP and the place where the LRV was parked to take that famous ascent video as man left the moon for the last time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:39:22 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
Your site will make excellent lunch-hour reading -- thanks!

Libration manifests itself in two ways.  Side-to-side libration is caused by the elliptical orbit.  As we're well aware, the Moon is tidally locked and has a rotation rate equivalent to its orbital period.  Its rotation rate is stable and, for observational purposes, constant.  But Kepler's second law tells us that in an elliptical orbit the Moon will speed up and slow down as it moves through its orbit.  It moves faster approaching perigee and slower approaching apogee.  This means that during each revolution, the Moon "gets ahead of itself" and "behind itself" at different times, turning to show us glimpses of the sides.  During its approach toward apogee, for example, the Moon speeds ahead and its constant rotation rate doesn't turn it to face us perfectly; we see a bit of its trailing edge through apogee.  Conversely through perigee we see its leading edge.  From Earth's perspective, the Moon appears to twist left and right during its cycle.

Vertical libration is caused by the difference between the Moon's rotational axis and its orbital inclination.  They aren't the same value.  Like most celestial bodies, the Moon's rotational axis is not perfectly perpendicular to the plane in which it orbits.  But the axis is fixed in space reasonably stably for observational purposes.  This means during one part of its orbit, its north pole points more toward us than at the opposite side, where it points away from us.  This lets us see the north polar regions at some times and the south polar regions at other times.

When you combine the two motions the Moon indeed appears to wobble over the course of a lunar month like a spinning top about to fall over.  (Unless you're in Inception dream space.)

If you lived on a lunar surface base, the Earth would stay in roughly the same place in the sky but would describe a figure-eight motion around a fixed point due to lunar libration.  The Earth would also exhibit monthly phases, but in the mirror-image direction that we see of the Moon from Earth.

Who wants to hear about nutation?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 02:20:38 PM »
The interesting thing to me about the moon's orbit and orientation is that while its orbit is inclined 5.14 deg to the earth's equator and its axis is tilted 6.68 deg with respect to this orbit, its axis is only 1.5 degrees off perpendicular to the ecliptic -- the earth's (and moon's) orbit around the sun. It has maintained this orientation for billions of years, and this is why frozen water has apparently been able to accumulate in perpetually-shadowed craters at the poles.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 03:32:19 PM »
Libration manifests itself in two ways.

I thought there was three, the third being due to the diameter of the Earth.

At any given moment, two observers on opposite sides of the Earth, see the moon from a slightly different angle, forming a parallax triangle view with the base being approximately the diameter of the Earth.

I reckon that angle to be around 1.8°. Not sure if that is readily observable though?

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 04:19:01 PM »
Who wants to hear about nutation?
Nutation is a term wasn't familiar with until you mentioned it, but now that I've read the Wikipedia article, I think I largely get the gist. Thanks Jay; once again you've taught me something I didn't know, as well introducing me to something that I didn't even know that I didn't know. :)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »
This is what makes the study of the actual physical universe so rewarding.  The truth is far more fascinating and far stranger than anything AwE130 or Neil Burns could possibly imagine.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams